DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Will Sex in the City be censored on TBS? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/370014-will-sex-city-censored-tbs.html)

shaun3000 06-15-04 11:50 PM

Will Sex in the City be censored on TBS?

I tried search but couldn't find anything and was hindered by DVDTalk's four-word minimum. Sorry if this has already been discussed.

I saw that TBS will be airing Sex in the City in syndication. Are they planning on censoring it or will it be the same ones we saw on HBO? I really don't see how they can censor it and keep teh same quality the show had on HBO. For example, the episode where the pubes get dyed orange would be totally pointless with censoring.

Groucho 06-15-04 11:57 PM

I'm sure they will be. TBS doesn't show nudity, swearing, and the like. Plus, weren't these an hour long on HBO? They'll have to cut them by 15 minutes just to fit them in with commericials.

chriscooling 06-16-04 12:10 AM

Most definately. Sex and the City was produced with later syndication in mind, much like films in which alternate versions of scenes for later edited airings on network TV. No way will TBS be showing Sex unedited.

Copenhagen 06-16-04 01:07 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
Plus, weren't these an hour long on HBO? They'll have to cut them by 15 minutes just to fit them in with commericials.
IIRC they were a shade under 30 mins per ep.

Ted The Bug 06-16-04 08:13 AM

Sex and the City episodes are anywhere from 22-28 minutes.

HBO did the same thing with Sex and the City that they did with Dream On: While filming each episode, they filmed alternate versions of every sex scene for future syndication.

Groucho 06-16-04 08:14 AM

Interesting. I never watched the show (I'm straight) so that was a guess on how long it was.

Morf 06-16-04 08:16 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
Interesting. I never watched the show (I'm straight) so that was a guess on how long it was.
:lol:

BDB 06-16-04 08:16 AM

Yes it will be toned down. the 4 actresses dubbed a lot of words.
Sam of course had the most work to do.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...satc-tbs_x.htm

• Carrie's on-again, off-again boyfriend Mr. Big has a glib catchphrase that has been tweaked. Now he says "absolutely" when answering a question in the affirmative. Originally, he inserted an expletive.

• The Sex ladies now have "sex buddies" rather than that other verboten word.

• And in foul-mouthed Margaret Cho's guest appearance as a fashion show producer, her dialogue was almost entirely changed to be TV-14.

At an informal viewing party organized by USA TODAY, several New York fans agreed that although it may still have sizzle, the sanitized series is lacking in serious vice. "Where's the bed careening around Samantha's loft, and where's her raunchy sex?" asks Eric Walker, 33. "In fact, where is Samantha?"

She's behaving herself for basic cable. In episodes sent to the press, Samantha (Kim Cattrall) still encounters a guy too sizable even for her. Miranda (Cynthia Nixon) remains as acerbically deadpan as ever about casual sex with Steve. And idealistic Charlotte (Kristin Davis) gets in touch with her nether regions.

Though plenty of laughter remains, the episodes were "tame," says Kevin Leichner, 28. "The sex was gone. They should call it 'Relationships and the City.' "

That's exactly the point, TBS vice president Steve Koonin says. He says the beloved series was never about bawdy bed-hopping: "It's about friendship and buddies, and that's what we're keeping."

Red Dog 06-16-04 08:19 AM

In other words, we will never see Kim Cattrell.

Jadzia 06-16-04 11:41 AM

I wonder how they will handle the "funky spunk" episode.

Canis Firebrand 06-16-04 01:23 PM

Originally posted by Jadzia
I wonder how they will handle the "funky spunk" episode.
Or how about the tantric sex episode.

It probably will get watched on tv, but since just about the entire series is out on dvd, and people see how much was cut, I can see dvd sales increasing.