Reload this Page >

Last Comic Standing 06/15/04 Las Vegas Finals Part One

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-15-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got around to watching this, and I was pretty dissapointed in it (it aired on one of the Global stations here in Canada last night). I don't think that I laughed once. I won't say who got through, but I will mention something that was on a promo (spoilered):

Spoiler:
One of the comics takes a "huge risk" during their set. I didn't understand it what it referred to when I saw the promo, but after seeing it, it makes sense. It shocks some of the comedians, and could ultimately cost them their shock at the house!

BTW, a couple of my favorites did not make it through
Old 06-15-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When is part two?
Old 06-15-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big, fat Jessica Kirson is not the least bit funny.

Gary Gulman started off terrible, but he was okay towards the end.

I'm in love w/ Bonnie McFarlane. Seriously.

And that Tammi Pescatelli - she a bitch.

Corey Holcombe was reserved and too nice.

Tim Young - eh.

Kathleen Madigan - she's my second fav after Bonnie, but I have seen her do much better. She was okay.

Ant - has a really tired act.

Last edited by B.A.; 06-15-04 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-15-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You know what? They (the producers) won't advance Bonnie because she used the "c" word - and that just isn't right.

And they prove once again that the wife is not as funny as her husband.

Dan Ahdoot used the same tired act.

Monty was alright.

Last edited by B.A.; 06-15-04 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-15-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kathleen Madigan and Bonnie McFarlane
Old 06-15-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't believe Bonnie made it - I didn't think she would have a chance because she used a "bad" word.

Ant doesn't deserve to be there, but you knew he would be the last name called, it's the only reason he was back this year - to advance one round further than last season.

And though Monty wasn't great, he was still better than Corey.

I'm just happy that Kathleen and Bonnie made it, particularly the latter.

Not really surprised Gary made it.
Old 06-15-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kathleen Madigan is hilarious. And I liked Corey Holcombe's routine too.

Jessica Kirson has got to go.

[edit]
Woohoo, Kathleen Madigan made it and so did Holcombe. And Kirson's gone!!!

Last edited by tofu; 06-15-04 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-16-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Phil L.
When is part two?
Tomorrow night.

to everybody who made it... except Ant. For some reason I don't find him funny at all, I actually think he's annoying. I would have much preferred Monty Huffman.
Old 06-16-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Monty deserved to go to LA w/ my two favorite ladies.
Old 06-16-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That's just not right, having Ant make it over Monty.
Old 06-16-04, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Which guy was Monty? Was he the older guy? If he is I wish he would have got in.

I also liked the Iranian guy. I actually laughed at loud when he did the "graduation" bit.

Bonnie, Bonnie, Bonnie! Using the "C" word? I'm shocked!

Funny, though(although I didn't get it until they actually mentioned that she used the "C" word). Anyone else notice Brett Butler waving her hands when Bonnie used that word. As if saying " me, me, that's what they always called me!"

Ant. Annoying, not funny.

When I was watching it( I didn't see last weeks show) I saw Jim Norton. Will he be on tomorrow? I think he's hilarious on Tough Crowd.
Old 06-16-04, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah ant is annoying.. His comedy imo isn't very good and all he seems to do is tear apart the other comics behind their back and make negative comments. Most of the others are very good though
Old 06-16-04, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Damn. Guessed 4 of the 5. My only loser - I pegged Dan Adhoot going instead of Ant. And as far as doing the same schtick, comedians don't change routines drastically night to night. They are going to use their best stuff. Especially to try and win. The only person in that crowd that had heard his stuff before was Jay Mhor. It is new to everyone else.

Anyway, the c word. Nice touch. Ballsy. But out of 40 comedians, NBC can't honestly think they found 40 nice wholesome clean comedians. I liked it. She took a chance, got a great reaction, and advanced.
Old 06-16-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well Ant was no surprise to me since the article published a few days ago detailed Drew Carry's extreme anger over his being chosen to move on. Ant was NOT one of the winners chosen by the judges, but the producers obviously wanted a homosexual in there, so they overode the judges' choices. I didn't think he deserved it either. His whole act is based on "Look at me! I'm gay!" Oh yeah, that's hilarious.
Old 06-16-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think it was funny that everyone got so uptight about Bonnie using the word "c*nt". Whoopdie-freakin-doo. What, do all comedians need to have PG-13 rated material? Give me a break.
Old 06-16-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think Kathleen is one of the few comics that does a different set each time. I'm beginning to wonder how much depth the others have. Ant's gay jokes and Jessica's facial contortions have already worn thin.

I bet only a few comics left would have enough material to fill up a 30 minute set.

D
Old 06-16-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope Jim Norton and John Heffron do good tonight - they are the best men in the entire group, imo.
Old 06-16-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Damn. Guessed 4 of the 5. My only loser - I pegged Dan Adhoot going instead of Ant. And as far as doing the same schtick, comedians don't change routines drastically night to night. They are going to use their best stuff. Especially to try and win. The only person in that crowd that had heard his stuff before was Jay Mhor. It is new to everyone else.

Anyway, the c word. Nice touch. Ballsy. But out of 40 comedians, NBC can't honestly think they found 40 nice wholesome clean comedians. I liked it. She took a chance, got a great reaction, and advanced.
If it's any consolation, apparently the judges didn't pick Ant either, but the NBC execs overruled them.

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0%...C00.html?tnews

[Note: The link has a spoiler for one of the comics who loses tonight. And was really funny last week, dammit.]

I liked Bonnie's c-word joke. And I don't see why anyone would think it would keep her out of the house -- it's edgy, it's controversial, and it ruffles feathers: just what NBC is looking for in the house. As long as it's not "Last Comic Standing: LIVE!" NBC will be laughing all the way to the bank every time one comic says a bad word and another comic says "Oh, my tender virgin ears!"
Old 06-16-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by B.A.
I hope Jim Norton and John Heffron do good tonight - they are the best men in the entire group, imo.
I like the Huey Lewis-looking guy who was jumping around pissing everyone off. I think it's hilarious when you take 20 people who are overcompensating for not getting enough attention as kids and have one of them piss the other 19 of them off by upstaging them. It's almost like an Andy Kaufman bit.

And kudos to Bonnie for playing along and giving him that big sloppy kiss.
Old 06-16-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anybody have Dave Mordal's original comentary? I read it last week and he was talking about Ant but now that part isn't in it anymore.
Old 06-16-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I'm in the minority cause I thought Kathleen Madigan was possibly the least funny out of all ten, and was shocked when her name was called first.

I would have liked to have seen Monty or the Iranian kid get in before either Madigan or Ant.

Looking forward to Jim Norton tonight. He is the best of the bunch anyway (IMO) regardless of how it turns out.
Old 06-16-04, 01:05 PM

Ant = token gay guy.

Did anyone really think he wouldn't be chosen???
Old 06-16-04, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Timber
Does anybody have Dave Mordal's original comentary? I read it last week and he was talking about Ant but now that part isn't in it anymore.
I don't have it saved, but I remember reading it as well.

He basically was pissed that ANT even made it to Las Vegas.

And I'm sure when he said that he already knew that Ant made it in the house as well, since it was WELL after the taping and I'm sure word got out ala Drew's and Brett's comments.
Old 06-16-04, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by potvin48
Ant = token gay guy.

Did anyone really think he wouldn't be chosen???
as I said in an earlier thread and also echoes Drew's statements, sadly this show is more about "Real World MTV" style casting and not just about who is funny.

even narrowing down from 40 to 20 there were some questionable choices.

And now the 20 to 10 against the judges wishes just proves that even more.

Good for Drew for making a stink about it!
Old 06-16-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by JasonF
I like the Huey Lewis-looking guy who was jumping around pissing everyone off. I think it's hilarious when you take 20 people who are overcompensating for not getting enough attention as kids and have one of them piss the other 19 of them off by upstaging them. It's almost like an Andy Kaufman bit.

And kudos to Bonnie for playing along and giving him that big sloppy kiss.
Todd Glass can be funny, but he also can be a little over-bearing at times.

I loved it when Bonnie played along w/ him at the reception.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.