Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Comic Standing 06/15/04 Las Vegas Finals Part One

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Last Comic Standing 06/15/04 Las Vegas Finals Part One

Old 06-16-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was hoping the old bald guy would go through, but none of them were very good last night. I am sure glad the annoying large one is gone though. Damn she was irritating.

Looks like tonight is most of the better ones. The other bald guy is my favorite so far. Here's hoping. PUT SOME PSYCHOS IN THE HOUSE!
Old 06-16-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Re: Last Comic Standing 06/15/04 Las Vegas Finals Part One

Originally posted by movieking
Spoiler:
One of the comics takes a "huge risk" during their set. I didn't understand it what it referred to when I saw the promo, but after seeing it, it makes sense. It shocks some of the comedians, and could ultimately cost them their shock at the house!
So is this "huge risk" the word Bonnie used?? I've heard a lot worse from comics, what's the "risk"?
Old 06-16-04, 06:30 PM

Received 773 Likes on 504 Posts
Re: Re: Last Comic Standing 06/15/04 Las Vegas Finals Part One

Originally posted by shoppingbear
So is this "huge risk" the word Bonnie used?? I've heard a lot worse from comics, what's the "risk"?
Comedians usually never tounge.

An interesting read on the dirty word: C***: A Cultural History (Replace the **** in the URL with the word.)

Last edited by Goldberg74; 06-16-04 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-16-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a load of bullshit, Dan Naturman was robbed.
Old 06-16-04, 09:03 PM
Banned

O MY GOD **** this show!!!!!!!!!! Dan Naturman was the funniest guy out of any of them. If I were comedy central I would give him a special my damn self. I might start a petition and send it to them. Complete bullshit. They kept Ant in the first round that is horrible, and they kept the italian lady tonight which is just HORRIBLE! Not funny at. I agree with all the other cuts but Dan Naturman should have been alloweed in the HOUSE. Complete bullshit.

And whats with this them saying that the audience knows that the panel guests werent the only ones voting. I truely thought that was it. Screw this show.
Old 06-16-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't figured it out yet but there is something about Tammy Pescatelli that makes me want her.

Naturman did get screwed. He was much better than Ant and Jay London. I'm sorry but London's schtick doesn't do it for me.
Old 06-16-04, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by puddytay
... and they kept the italian lady tonight which is just HORRIBLE! Not funny at.
She's Sicilian remember.

I think Naturman was robbed as well. I don't think that Todd Glass should have gone on... but oh well.

But everything's fine because of the 'legalese' at the end of the show.

BS.

By the way, I hope John Heffron takes the whole thing.
Old 06-16-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, you knew they would pick one female from the 2nd group regardless of how bad they all were. She was the better of the 3 females in that group.

John Heffron was great. I liked Naturman too.

Where did that Norton guy go? I didn't pay full attention to the whole episode. They showed him in various clips throughout the show. But then they had that old white haired guy come in as a 'wildcard'. Why didn't Norton perform?
Old 06-16-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Norton didn't perform due to the fact that he had contractual obligations with MTV to do a show during their "Spring Break" programming.

No doubt he will be back on "Opie and Anthony" once they finally sign their deal with Sirius.
Old 06-16-04, 09:38 PM

Do you think they'll kick someone out of the house and bring in Jim Wiggins again?

Third times a charm!
Old 06-16-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Todd Glass is annoying as hell. He wasn't very funny and it seems like they put him on the show just to annoy everyone.

Glad that Bodon got on. I liked Heffron too.
Old 06-16-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Well pegged 4 out of 5 again. Jay London threw me for a loop. Thought it would be Naturman or Wiggins.

Agreed on taking the token female. She was moderate but leagues above the other two competing.

Caught the tail end of the conversation on Bob & Tom, but they were talking about getting some t-shirts made for the:
Colorado University Night-time Tennis team. Thought that was kinda funny.
Old 06-16-04, 10:39 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, NBC was in ultra-deception mode with the teaser spots before commerical breaks. "And the last key of the house goes to... <quick edit> Brett Butler!", followed by Brett Butler standing. Sheesh.

Anyway, wasn't impressed with the Sicialian or Jay London. His stuff is clever, but not LOL funny to me. Disappointed Jim won't be part of this, his was the best act of the group IMO. Bonnie gives me the hot for some reason.
Old 06-16-04, 11:03 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Jay London was pretty good and Tammy Pescatelli was decent. I thought Heffron was terrible. I know I've seen him before the show and I thought I liked him, but I haven't liked anything he's done for the show so far. Naturman may have been the best on tonight though. I think he's on Jimmy Kimmel tonight.
Old 06-16-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
It really annoys me the way they push this as reality TV and then you see something happen like this. I know stuff always happens behind the scenes, but this is just blatent. If I were Drew Carey and Brett Butler I'd feel used too. Basically, the NBC producer votes can ALWAYS cancel the comedians votes out. So they were only there for their "ratings potential." Stinks bad. Makes me not even want to tune in again.
Old 06-17-04, 12:04 AM

SCREW THIS SHOW. NATURMAN KICKED ASS.
Old 06-17-04, 12:30 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

NBC SUCKS NUTS
Old 06-17-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

how can you be surprised at any of this when Dat phan, who was by far the least funny person of all of them won? He had ratings appeal, rather than comedic gold, but that was all he needed.
Old 06-17-04, 01:14 AM

I enjoyed to see the judges go a little nuts, seeing that they cared about the comics, and who is REALLY funny.
Old 06-17-04, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Steam
I'm sorry but London's schtick doesn't do it for me.
You know why? because it's exactly the same kind of stuff that Steven wright does, and i've heard a couple of london's jokes from Wright before. He needs to quit before he gets sued or laughed out of the business for stealing material

oh and yes after watching his set tonite, Naturman should have not only gone to the house but he should have won the whole show. He's the best comedian up there BY FAR

Last edited by glassdragon; 06-17-04 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-17-04, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was funny how Drew and Brett didn't even count Tess's vote. "Me, Brett, and Clark didn't vote for those people". Kinda implied that Tess was just a pawn for the network( which I suppose she would be).

Tammy and Glass both knew how to get in the house. Glass just acted crazy, knowing that no matter what his set was like, he was guaranteed a spot. Heart Surgery or no, once I saw Tammy tearing up, I knew she was going in.

D
Old 06-17-04, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here is what Dave Mordal really wrote on the NBC site under "Dave's Rant" (not what is currently there which is very edited down):

Week 1
by Dave Mordal
I so wanted to start off on a positive note on Last Comic Standing Two.
I did. I really did. Then along came ANT.
Last year, people were mystified as to why Dat Phan would do the same jokes every episode. ANT is doing the same jokes one year later.
He had a year to write something. Anything.
Okay, ANT. We get it, apparently you're gay. Please have something besides that.
Please?
I'm at the point where I believe that the entire homosexual community is begging you to move on to something.
I'm a recovering alcoholic. If every comedy bit I did was about how sober I am, I'd start drinking.
Then every bit would be about how drunk I am.
ANT, you're better than this. Let's see another subject.
Which brings me to Bob and Ross, the Talent Scouts.
No matter what you think of who they pick, you have to give them credit for sitting through hundreds of hours of some of the best and the worst of stand-up comedy. Even the best of comedy over that long a period will make you question your reason for living. That being said, if either of these two ever kill themselves, there'll be no need for a suicide note. We'll understand.
If I had a hat, it would be off to them for making this show possible.
Now here's the deal I'll make with the comic stripper. You don't do comedy, I'll keep my clothes on.
I'll make the same deal with Buckstar.
Buckstar is what's wrong with entertainment today. So many untalented people get ahead in this business by being pushy. Buckstar really should not have been shown. It's just going to encourage people like me to become persistent. I can't imagine where I'd be today with a little assertiveness and self-esteem.
All right. Now the positive side.
Dan Naturman, Jay London, Jimmy Wiggins. It was just plain fun watching them. Dan made me laugh out loud. Jay London reminded me never to judge a book by its cover.
And Jimmy Wiggins.
Let me tell you about Jimmy Wiggins.
Jimmy was the first comic to ever be hard up enough to take me on the comedy circuit with him. My road was paved with the wisdom of the comics I worked with and Jimmy tarred most of it. When he's in your area, go see him. You'll learn something.

See you after Vegas,
David D. Mordal
Old 06-17-04, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JuryDuty
It really annoys me the way they push this as reality TV and then you see something happen like this. I know stuff always happens behind the scenes, but this is just blatent. If I were Drew Carey and Brett Butler I'd feel used too. Basically, the NBC producer votes can ALWAYS cancel the comedians votes out. So they were only there for their "ratings potential." Stinks bad. Makes me not even want to tune in again.
And this makes me want to tune in again. After seeing Brett Butler run into the room with the failed comics and tell people like the face contortionist that they were really good, I knew their judgment was seriously flawed and if the final votes were left up to them, this show would be far, far worse. I am glad there were votes that over powered theirs in instances like those, because the comics who didn't come up with new material for Vegas and just rehashed what they already used the week before didn't deserve to go on, no matter how funny somebody thought they may be. And people getting all upset over people like Ant moving should rest assured that if they do keep their one trick pony schticks going, they won't last long.
Old 06-17-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
And this makes me want to tune in again. After seeing Brett Butler run into the room with the failed comics and tell people like the face contortionist that they were really good, I knew their judgment was seriously flawed...
well, I'm sure she couldn't have singled people out or things would have really gotten out of hand. More than likely she was referring to one or two people which I will buy, because of Naturman and Wiggins not making it this round as well as one or two the first round.
Old 06-17-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Two kinds of comedy are no longer funny, IMHO: "I'm gay, look at me!" and "My Jewish mother..."

Ant is a hack.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.