Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I netflick Gilmore Girls S1 or Everwood S1?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-11-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I'll get around to both eventually, but then again, there's a ton of great shows out there. I'm thinking that one WB-type family drama may be enough...

Both these shows have reputations for smart writing, no? (I should say that I have little or no tolerance for afternoon-special preachiness, and always avoided "7th Heaven" like the plague...)

Which characters have you ended up caring most about? Also: are the boys cute?
Old 06-11-04, 02:35 PM

Rent Gilmore Girls now and Everwood when it is released in the fall. You have plenty of time to watch GG before Everwood is released.

They are two of my favorite shows. GG is more quick-witted humor and Everwood is more poignant drama.
Old 06-11-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tough question. I'm inclined to agree with our favorite mother-to-be. I care more about the characters in Everwood, but it does have a somewhat preachy side to it (many of the main characters are know-it-alls), although nowhere near the level of 7th Heaven. It's always very well done. You really can't go wrong here. Both have smart writing and great first seasons.

das
Old 06-11-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ABC Family is running GG in syndication in the fall. I am going to check it out and see if it is worth watching.
Old 06-11-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks all... I mistakenly thought that both had been just released... Guess I'll sample GG now, and worry about Everwood when the time comes.

I have to say I'm having greater doubts about Everwood now, based on das's comments, and the Amazon comments by a fan of the show...
...the overall arc of the season is not what makes this show so specail, its the stand-alone episodes which provide positive information on many subjects families should talk about but don't: Teen Drinking, Pregnancy, Abortion, Dieing Family Members, and so on.
That makes it sound so *not* up my alley. But then, it's hard to ignore all those entries in das's 50-best drama ep list... Hmmm.
Old 06-11-04, 05:02 PM

I don't find Everwood to be preachy. I think what saves it from that is the fact that Treat Williams' character is flawed and even he admits that he is clueless about being a father. So while he has lofty intentions, often times he is better at dealing with the patients/townspeople's problems than that of his own kids. Which creates a fair amount of dysfunction in his family, especially with his teenage son Ephram (I love this character.)

If it helps any, I initially had zero intention of watching this show when I first read the description of it. (I'm not usually into the small-town family dramas). I happened to tune in anyway and I got hooked. It turned out to be my favorite new show of last season. Season 2 was not quite as good, but I highly recommend Season 1.
Old 06-11-04, 05:35 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had class when Everwood started so I've never gotten the chance to see it but I plan on renting it when it comes out.

GG is a very good show. The writing is great and Lauren Graham is terrific in it.
Old 06-11-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

adamblast

it's hard to ignore all those entries in das's 50-best drama ep list... Hmmm.
I gotta be honest, here. I never really watched the show. Some guy at work said it was pretty good, so I ran with it.

das
Old 06-11-04, 09:19 PM
Admin Emeritus

I think Gilmore Girls is a far more entertaining show than Everwood, but Treat Williams does a great job in Everwood. If you're into the whole fast-talking and obscure-and-not-so-obscure-pop-culture-references-flying thing, you'll like Gilmore Girls.
Old 06-11-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gilmore Girls is in your face funny with great characters/dialogue and some really gripping drama thrown in.

Everwood is in your face dramatic with great characters/dialogue and some really funny moments thrown in.

Like most, I had zero interest in Everwood...the premise just didn't sound that interesting...but I would catch episode here and there during there Sunday airings and damn if I didn't start caring about the characters.

I would recommend GG over Everwood, but I'm really biased because GG is my favorite show on TV these days and season 1 is golden.
Old 06-11-04, 11:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
ABC Family is running GG in syndication in the fall. I am going to check it out and see if it is worth watching.
Thanks for the heads-up on this.
Old 06-11-04, 11:52 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I plan to try Everwood again eventually, but I could never get into it during it's first season. GG on the other hand has been without a doubt one of the best 5 shows on TV every year it's been on. I think GG might be first show I've ever seen last 4 years and never have a bad episode.
Old 06-12-04, 01:23 AM

They are both good shows, but I would have to go with Gilmore Girls. People who write this show off without giving it a chance are missing out on one of the most smartly written shows on TV
Old 06-12-04, 07:22 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by das Monkey
I gotta be honest, here. I never really watched the show. Some guy at work said it was pretty good, so I ran with it.

das
What other lies have you been telling us

PS: I watched Severed Dreams for the first time last night
Old 06-12-04, 08:52 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by clemente
Everwood is in your face dramatic with great characters/dialogue and some really funny moments thrown in.
That's a good description... in-your-face dramatic. But I think we need a spin-off show of just Bright. Hell, give him his own channel. All Bright, all the time. I love that with a name like that, he's the dumbest character on the show (if not the network). But hilarious.
Old 06-13-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The couple of times I've sat down and watched Everwood, it reminded me of a more intelligent 7th Heaven. Because of that, I've not watched it since. Plus I'm just not a Treat Williams fan...he's alway had that "I'm a moral compass" vibe about him. Gilmore Girls however, seems to actually be one of those rare shows that can very touching, but also "laugh-out-loud" funny (to paraphrase one of those corny local paper movie reviewers), not just in spurts, but with great frequency.
Old 06-13-04, 01:01 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

GILMORE!