DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Should I netflick Gilmore Girls S1 or Everwood S1? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/369229-should-i-netflick-gilmore-girls-s1-everwood-s1.html)

adamblast 06-11-04 01:16 PM

Should I netflick Gilmore Girls S1 or Everwood S1?

Maybe I'll get around to both eventually, but then again, there's a ton of great shows out there. I'm thinking that one WB-type family drama may be enough...

Both these shows have reputations for smart writing, no? (I should say that I have little or no tolerance for afternoon-special preachiness, and always avoided "7th Heaven" like the plague...)

Which characters have you ended up caring most about? Also: are the boys cute? :D

Jadzia 06-11-04 01:35 PM

Rent Gilmore Girls now and Everwood when it is released in the fall. You have plenty of time to watch GG before Everwood is released. :)

They are two of my favorite shows. GG is more quick-witted humor and Everwood is more poignant drama.

das Monkey 06-11-04 01:41 PM

Tough question. I'm inclined to agree with our favorite mother-to-be. I care more about the characters in <i>Everwood</i>, but it does have a somewhat preachy side to it (many of the main characters are know-it-alls), although nowhere near the level of <i>7th Heaven</i>. It's always very well done. You really can't go wrong here. Both have smart writing and great first seasons.

das

Red Dog 06-11-04 01:59 PM

ABC Family is running GG in syndication in the fall. I am going to check it out and see if it is worth watching.

adamblast 06-11-04 03:32 PM

Thanks all... I mistakenly thought that both had been just released... Guess I'll sample GG now, and worry about Everwood when the time comes.

I have to say I'm having greater doubts about Everwood now, based on das's comments, and the Amazon comments by a fan of the show...

...the overall arc of the season is not what makes this show so specail, its the stand-alone episodes which provide positive information on many subjects families should talk about but don't: Teen Drinking, Pregnancy, Abortion, Dieing Family Members, and so on.
That makes it sound so *not* up my alley. But then, it's hard to ignore all those entries in das's 50-best drama ep list... Hmmm.

Jadzia 06-11-04 04:02 PM

I don't find Everwood to be preachy. I think what saves it from that is the fact that Treat Williams' character is flawed and even he admits that he is clueless about being a father. So while he has lofty intentions, often times he is better at dealing with the patients/townspeople's problems than that of his own kids. Which creates a fair amount of dysfunction in his family, especially with his teenage son Ephram (I love this character.)

If it helps any, I initially had zero intention of watching this show when I first read the description of it. (I'm not usually into the small-town family dramas). I happened to tune in anyway and I got hooked. It turned out to be my favorite new show of last season. Season 2 was not quite as good, but I highly recommend Season 1.

MrX 06-11-04 04:35 PM

I had class when Everwood started so I've never gotten the chance to see it but I plan on renting it when it comes out.

GG is a very good show. The writing is great and Lauren Graham is terrific in it.

das Monkey 06-11-04 06:24 PM

• adamblast •

it's hard to ignore all those entries in das's 50-best drama ep list... Hmmm.

I gotta be honest, here. I never really watched the show. Some guy at work said it was pretty good, so I ran with it.

das

Static Cling 06-11-04 08:19 PM

I think Gilmore Girls is a far more entertaining show than Everwood, but Treat Williams does a great job in Everwood. If you're into the whole fast-talking and obscure-and-not-so-obscure-pop-culture-references-flying thing, you'll like Gilmore Girls.

clemente 06-11-04 10:00 PM

Gilmore Girls is in your face funny with great characters/dialogue and some really gripping drama thrown in.

Everwood is in your face dramatic with great characters/dialogue and some really funny moments thrown in.

Like most, I had zero interest in Everwood...the premise just didn't sound that interesting...but I would catch episode here and there during there Sunday airings and damn if I didn't start caring about the characters.

I would recommend GG over Everwood, but I'm really biased because GG is my favorite show on TV these days and season 1 is golden.

Geofferson 06-11-04 10:03 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
ABC Family is running GG in syndication in the fall. I am going to check it out and see if it is worth watching.
Thanks for the heads-up on this.

nny 06-11-04 10:52 PM

I plan to try Everwood again eventually, but I could never get into it during it's first season. GG on the other hand has been without a doubt one of the best 5 shows on TV every year it's been on. I think GG might be first show I've ever seen last 4 years and never have a bad episode.

Brak55 06-12-04 12:23 AM

They are both good shows, but I would have to go with Gilmore Girls. People who write this show off without giving it a chance are missing out on one of the most smartly written shows on TV

MrX 06-12-04 06:22 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
I gotta be honest, here. I never really watched the show. Some guy at work said it was pretty good, so I ran with it.

das

What other lies have you been telling us-ohbfrank-

PS: I watched Severed Dreams for the first time last night-eek-

Static Cling 06-12-04 07:52 PM

Originally posted by clemente
Everwood is in your face dramatic with great characters/dialogue and some really funny moments thrown in.
That's a good description... in-your-face dramatic. :) But I think we need a spin-off show of just Bright. Hell, give him his own channel. All Bright, all the time. I love that with a name like that, he's the dumbest character on the show (if not the network). But hilarious.

kurupt 06-13-04 08:52 AM

The couple of times I've sat down and watched Everwood, it reminded me of a more intelligent 7th Heaven. Because of that, I've not watched it since. Plus I'm just not a Treat Williams fan...he's alway had that "I'm a moral compass" vibe about him. Gilmore Girls however, seems to actually be one of those rare shows that can very touching, but also "laugh-out-loud" funny (to paraphrase one of those corny local paper movie reviewers), not just in spurts, but with great frequency.

scott shelton 06-13-04 12:01 PM

GILMORE!