DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   TiVo sets sights on Net content, cuts prices (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/368752-tivo-sets-sights-net-content-cuts-prices.html)

Morf 06-09-04 09:30 AM

TiVo sets sights on Net content, cuts prices

Another TIVo news story:

http://news.com.com/TiVo+sets+sights...l?tag=nefd.top

TiVo is developing new services to allow movies and music to be downloaded to its digital video recorders, but in the meantime the company is cutting prices for its current services to boost subscriptions to its standalone recorders.

The San Jose, Calif.-based company is expected to announce Wednesday at a New York event price cuts for services used with its Series2 standalone digital video recorders, or DVRs. TiVo's networking software--a $99 option called Home Media Option--will become part of its standard service offering for both monthly and lifetime subscribers.

The company will also offer those with multiple TiVo boxes a price cut for additional recorders. The monthly subscription rate for the first recorder will remain $12.95, but additional recorders will cost $6.95. Lifetime subscriptions will remain $299.

TiVo said no changes are planned for the price or features offered with DirecTV TiVo boxes.

The company has been developing advanced services for downloading movies and music from the Internet, as well as new advertising services. But no timetable has been set for those features, a company representative said.

TiVo's relationship with its main partner, DirecTV, has gone through some turmoil during the past couple of days, as DirecTV sold its stake in TiVo and DirecTV's vice chairman left TiVo's board. Analysts have cited concerns over the moves because most of TiVo's subscriptions are from DirecTV customers.

TiVo has been looking to attract more standalone subscribers as well as licensees of its DVR technology.

At the same time, TiVo has developed new services to allow its recorders to connect to home networks and play more of a role in what is more and more being referred to as the digital home, which is made up of home devices connected to one another by a network.

The Home Media Option software is part of that effort. It allows TiVo boxes to access and distribute content such as music files and digital photos stored on the hard drives of Apple Computer's Macs or on Windows PCs, streaming them to television sets or stereos via wired or wireless home networks.
If they really want to boost subscriptions to standalones, they really should have dropped subscription rates for 1 unit as well as the lifetime subscription (hell, even just a few bucks).

Cusm 06-09-04 09:42 AM

They need to contract w/ the major cable companies and/or the cable box makers, especially Scientific Atlanta - what I have.

spainlinx0 06-09-04 11:17 AM

So the Home Media Option won't be standard for us Directivo subscribers? If that's what it's saying then I will be a little annoyed.

JuryDuty 06-09-04 11:25 AM

Well, HMO has never been available to Directivo subscribers. From what I understand, this is part of the reason there's a bit of bad blood between DirecTV and Tivo right now--DirecTV doesn't want to have to mess with the support that comes with HMO and won't allow it to be activated on their units.

I love it that HMO is now going to be free, though I feel bad for those who have paid $99 for it in the past...

Tsar Chasm 06-09-04 01:10 PM

I own two series 2 TiVos with HMO. Essentially, this news saves me $6 a month.

The break-even point on a new TiVo with lifetime service is now 2 years. A second TiVo doesn't break even for 42 months.

I'm a bit annoyed that I had to pay $149 for my HMO but I love the service, it is a requirement for those with more than one TiVo.

mgbfan 06-09-04 01:20 PM

I'm waiting the whole DVR thing out for now. Eventually, what I'll want is a HD capable DVR that isn't going to be tied to one system like DirecTV.

The way things are moving, I give it about a year before that's the affordable norm.

Canis Firebrand 06-09-04 01:54 PM

The units themselves need to come down in price.

I want to pick up a second one, as I am on my original series 1 unit and it no longer receives os updates.

The lower monthly price is nice, but I agree that the lifetime of at least the second unit should reduce, maybe $150.

Or have a promotion, a nice 40 hour series 2 unit with lifetime subscription for $300.

bboisvert 06-09-04 02:20 PM

Are they going to drop the price of this?

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1769989454587533/

:drool:

nazz 06-09-04 11:03 PM

Originally posted by bboisvert

I doubt it any time soon. From what I've heard they can't keep them on the shelves even at $1000.

Oh yeah....and...... :drool:

Chew 06-10-04 07:15 AM

Originally posted by bboisvert

I've had it for about a month now and yeah, :drool::drool:

Michael Corvin 06-10-04 07:37 AM

Still waiting for that $99 price point, and $6 or less monthly.

fujishig 06-11-04 05:29 PM

Cool... so does that mean that I'll get HMO for free sometime soon? (since I'm a monthly subscriber). That might actually prompt me to get a second TIVO... though I do feel bad for anyone who spent the money on the service just recently.

johnglass 06-12-04 01:08 AM

Originally posted by fujishig
Cool... so does that mean that I'll get HMO for free sometime soon? (since I'm a monthly subscriber). That might actually prompt me to get a second TIVO... though I do feel bad for anyone who spent the money on the service just recently.
If you have a standalone Tivo then you have HMO now, and have had for about a month or so. All except the multi-room viewing, I think.

Eric F 06-12-04 12:29 PM

Tivo is in real trouble- The cable companies are starting to roll out their own PVRs (with high definition) for only a few $ more a month.

Michael Corvin 06-12-04 12:52 PM

my brother just got insight's HD box with PVR. :up: Very nice. It is hard to hate the cable comany when they offer that for only $5 more dollars a month.

Eric F 06-12-04 01:45 PM

Nobody wants net-content anyways. Comcast's VOD service is failing miserably. Over 1000 free programs and nobody's watching. PPV high-def movies would probably do well, but other than that it seems a waste.

Tivo's writing is on the wall.

BlackCapTen 06-12-04 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
my brother just got insight's HD box with PVR. :up: Very nice. It is hard to hate the cable comany when they offer that for only $5 more dollars a month.
I've had that exact box for a few months now with Insight. It works great recording HD programs. Hard drive is small and sometimes the HD shows skip during playback, but the quality was excellent. The interface/software sucks, it reminds me of an old MS-DOS program with generic text. But it gets the job done for the most part. I'd imagine it will get better in the future.

Michael Corvin 06-13-04 09:08 AM

Originally posted by BlackCapTen
I've had that exact box for a few months now with Insight. It works great recording HD programs. Hard drive is small and sometimes the HD shows skip during playback, but the quality was excellent. The interface/software sucks, it reminds me of an old MS-DOS program with generic text. But it gets the job done for the most part. I'd imagine it will get better in the future.
Yep, very generic, what I saw. But hey it is $5 a month vs. Tivo's $1000 dollar model. I'm no mathematician...

ravan 06-13-04 09:32 PM

They go for $1500 on ebay :o