DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   24 question: worth it? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/367153-24-question-worth.html)

Venusian 05-31-04 01:26 PM

24 question: worth it?

I watched seasons 1 and 2 and part of 3. I stopped watching i think 6 episodes ago when Jack shot Chappel at the end of the episode. this season has been quite slow but it started picking up at that point. I have all the episodes tivoed up, are they worth watching?

das Monkey 05-31-04 01:47 PM

Best show in the history of television. I can't imagine why you would want to miss a second of it.

das

[Only <b>Venusian</b> can read]
Spoiler:
I'd say it's not worth it, but I'll be in the minority. I'll save you some time, so you don't need to wait for responses: most everyone is going to tell you that yes, you should watch it.
[/Only <b>Venusian</b> can read]

Blake 05-31-04 02:15 PM

So you've watched 3/4 of the season and only have 6 episodes to go? Sure, watch them - why not? It wasn't my favorite season, and like you, I thought it started way too slow. But you're too far in to turn back now :)

saoirse 05-31-04 02:19 PM

It started off slow, and the finale was a letdown for me, but still a very good show (not the best IMO) and worth watching.

Venusian 05-31-04 02:40 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Best show in the history of television. I can't imagine why you would want to miss a second of it.

das

[Only <b>Venusian</b> can read]
Spoiler:
I'd say it's not worth it, but I'll be in the minority. I'll save you some time, so you don't need to wait for responses: most everyone is going to tell you that yes, you should watch it.
[/Only <b>Venusian</b> can read]

yeah, yeah, best show blah blah...

i serial aspect of the show hooks you in. i finally let it go, but tivo still is holding it over my head. can someone summarize what happened since then, maybe i can decide off the spoiler

das Monkey 05-31-04 02:49 PM

• Venusian •

can someone summarize what happened since then, maybe i can decide off the spoiler

WHO ARE YOU WORKING FOR?!?!
Mr. President, Sherry's got you by the balls.
I'm Chloe. Look, I'm annoying.
Tony, why are you suddenly acting out of character?
Get me Saunders' daughter.
WE DON'T HAVE TIME!!!!
*explosion*
YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M CAPABLE OF!
Look, it's Gael's wife.
Who?
*gunfire*
I'm too good an actor for this lame President plot.
Remember me? Chloe? Still annoying.
I love you, dad.
I love you, Kim ... now give me an Emmy.
*credits*

das

Copenhagen 05-31-04 02:54 PM

:up: great summary das.

Kaiser Soze 05-31-04 03:13 PM

WHO ARE YOU WORKING FOR?!?!
Mr. President, Sherry's got you by the balls.
I'm Chloe. Look, I'm annoying.
Tony, why are you suddenly acting out of character?
Get me Saunders' daughter.
WE DON'T HAVE TIME!!!!
*explosion*
YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M CAPABLE OF!
Look, it's Gael's wife.
Who?
*gunfire*
I'm too good an actor for this lame President plot.
Remember me? Chloe? Still annoying.
I love you, dad.
I love you, Kim ... now give me an Emmy.
*credits*

das

rotfl

That's great!

Rivero 05-31-04 06:37 PM

Best show in the history of television.
Jesus.

[AceVentura] Over-exaggerate muuuuch??[/AceVentura]

das Monkey 05-31-04 06:50 PM

• Rivero •

Jesus.

You can call me "das," my son.

das

Quatermass 05-31-04 10:53 PM

I would watch them with your fingered hovered over the fast forward button for the slow parts.

Breakfast with Girls 06-01-04 12:21 AM

But seriously, I think the show picked up quite a bit in this episode and the next four or so.

PacMan2006 06-01-04 12:29 AM

You've invested this far, why not just finish it and know how it ended? If you are even on the fence about it, you probably don't care enough to see it, though.

Vonner 06-01-04 01:30 AM

I would say no, don't watch them. Just the fact that your questioning whether you want to watch them tells me that you might not be interested enough to enjoy them. The season doesn't take a sudden turn for the better, or worse, in the last six shows. They are pretty much like the other eighteen.

Quapil 06-01-04 07:30 AM

Nice summary das

still need to pop in the only half decent scene of the finale...the thingy with the axe ;)

Static Cling 06-01-04 07:51 AM

das, I didn't watch this season, but knowing Jack Bauer, I think you may have forgot a "YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO TRUST ME!"

das Monkey 06-01-04 07:53 AM

• Static Cling •

das, I didn't watch this season, but knowing Jack Bauer, I think you may have forgot a "YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO TRUST ME!"

Dammit, <b>Static</b> ... SPOILERS!!!!!

das

Venusian 06-01-04 08:20 PM

i guess i'll keep them on the tivo and maybe get to them sometime this summer. i find that i dont even care that much what happened because i have a feeling they'll just hack up a resolution to the storyline and throw in another one like they did all season.

Ranger 06-02-04 01:31 AM

Dammit, <b>Static</b> ... SPOILERS!!!!!

das

"Spoilers!!! Spoilers!!! NOO!!! (screaming) (jumps out window)"

Yeah, I'd say it's worth watching.

Booth 06-02-04 07:21 AM

I'm in a similar boat with Venusian only I've got the last 12 episodes sitting on my TiVo. I suffered through the first 12 hoping that things would improve. From what others have said, they did. However, whenever I sit down and look over my "Now Playing on TiVo List", I keep skipping over 24.

Can anyone tell me at what point (episode number-wise) it gets better? If I knew that there was a light at the end on the tunnel, one of these days I'll just bite the bullet and get through to that point.

For what its worth, I've watched and enjoyed seasons 1 and 2. I don't know what happened this past season but it hasn't been (or at least didn't start out with) the same quality.

rfduncan 06-02-04 07:58 AM

Re: 24 question: worth it?

Originally posted by Venusian
I have all the episodes tivoed up, are they worth watching?
Um more so than what? All the new FOX summer programming you're going to want to Tivo? I mean seriously, even on the smallest Tivo are you really going to fill it up with 30+ hours of new programming over the summer? Barring Six Feet Under, I can't think of much mine will be recording. If you don't watch it by mid-August, delete it. Within a month or so of that, it'll be on DVD, and you can just rent the last two discs. ;)

Of course you could always roll them of to you VCR. :lol:

das Monkey 06-02-04 08:46 AM

• Booth •

For what its worth, I've watched and enjoyed seasons 1 and 2. I don't know what happened this past season but it hasn't been (or at least didn't start out with) the same quality.

You woke up? :) I don't think this season was any better or worse than the others (overall ... some ways it's better, some it's worse), but it does seem like more people are freely admitting how silly this show often is. My guess is that the new car smell has worn off. :p

Anyway, as for where it picks up, I'd say the 3rd-to-last hour (10:00am - 11:00am) is pretty good.

das

dstrauss 06-02-04 08:51 AM

You have to watch them NOW!!!

You're RUNNING OUT OF TIME!

::shudder:: Oh, ahem. Sorry.

BDB 06-02-04 09:00 AM

I bailed on the show after 4 maybe 5 episodes of Season 1.

dstrauss 06-02-04 10:10 AM

Seriously, 24 may not be the greatest show in the history of TV, as they sometimes seem to want you to think it is, and sometimes they really try and force the suspense to the point it gets ridiculous. (The show could run for 10 years and they'd still never be forgiven for having Kim stalked by a cougar or whatever it was.)

But taking that into account, it's still one of the few shows on tv that's interesting, that isn't deathly afraid to have its characters do what they should do, and that is worth watching. The first season was really unlike anything that had ever been on TV before, and for that I give them credit.