DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   HBO Movie: Something the Lord Made (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/367066-hbo-movie-something-lord-made.html)

jkester 05-30-04 07:32 PM

HBO Movie: Something the Lord Made

I did a search and came up wih nothing. Who's watching this while the sopranos take a week-long break? I will be.

vallerie 05-30-04 11:00 PM

I watched it and it was excellent!

But I was blown away by Mos Def's portrayal (and very likeness) of Vivien Thomas.

All in all very good script, acting, and seeing how Blailok(sp?) saw something in Thomas.

All around great movie. And I can see this movie being nominated either for a Golden Globe or Emmy or maybe both!

Thank HBO for giving us great movies!

SPiRAL 05-30-04 11:59 PM

I hope Mos Def wins an Emmy/Golden Globe for his work.

Decker 05-31-04 12:07 AM

Must watch this. Glad to hear it's so good (too bad the name is so terrible).

For those just craving medical knowledge, the Blalock-Taussig shunt is still the means used in correcting several potentially fatal congenital heart defects, such as Tetrology of Fallot. Several of my patients have undergone the procedure.

jkester 05-31-04 12:58 AM

After creating this thread, i ended up going to a party and missing it. :p i guess i'll catch it tomorrow.

JonTurner 05-31-04 06:34 AM

Wait, Sopranos wasn't on yesterday? Dang... I was gonna catch the next HD airing. Oh well, I'll check this out instead.

Giantrobo 05-31-04 07:49 AM

What a great film. Alan did a great job as usual and Mos Def is really becoming one of my favorite actors.

HistoryProf 05-31-04 11:39 AM

I was thinking of watching it...but then I realized i'd already seen it five times - in between the Sopranos and Deadwood in the longest trailer ever.

indianajdp 05-31-04 08:50 PM

Simply fantastic.

HBO continues to produce original programming that is second-to-none.

jkester 05-31-04 08:56 PM

I just watched it. It was truly excellent. Just really, really, great. I'm actually a bit speechless. One of the best acted things i've seen in a very long time.

Tommy Ceez 06-01-04 09:07 AM

I think with the subject matter, Mos Def could have used his given name...that just looks so damn silly

Tafellappen 06-01-04 09:56 AM

Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
I think with the subject matter, Mos Def could have used his given name...that just looks so damn silly
I hate when musicians turned actors don't use their real names.

DAC 06-01-04 10:10 AM

DMX
Ice T
Ice Cube
Vanilla Ice (remember Cool as Ice) :lol:
Hell, even The Rock should go by Duane Johnson

raven56706 06-01-04 11:22 AM

which group was mos def apart of?

RUSF18 06-01-04 05:26 PM

Watched it last night On Demand after hearing all the positive comments.

Wow. Great movie, acting was top-notch. Coming in, I had no clue what this was about (never paid attention to the HBO trailers) but it really gripped me.

Anybody with better knowledge of the subject know if certain things were historically accurate, i.e.
Spoiler:
Thomas actually having that dream which lead to the realization that the stitches had to grow?

I guess its more for publicity and recognition. Anyone seeing the name "Dante Beze" would think he's some guy making his first appearance.

Originally posted by raven56706
He was basically solo, but he collaborated with a bunch of different people on different albums.

SPiRAL 06-01-04 11:00 PM

He might have kept it because of his hosting duties on HBO's Def Poetry Jam. Who knows ?

Mos Def's real name = Dante Beze.

Giantrobo 06-02-04 04:43 AM

Who the hell cares about his real name? I think his performance overshadowed any of that bullshit.

Tommy Ceez 06-02-04 09:00 AM

And playing John the Baptist.... Mos Def

rotfl

Drive-In Nut 06-02-04 12:35 PM

Who the hell cares about his performance? I think his name overshadowed any of that bullshit.

SPiRAL 06-03-04 02:42 AM

Originally posted by raven56706
Black Star ( Mos Def & Talib Kweli )

RandyC 06-06-04 06:23 PM

Thanks for this thread. Because I made sure to watch this, and I am very glad I did. It was stunning in HD visually, very well done.

jmstipe 06-06-04 07:12 PM

Great film. One has to wonder why HBO hits so many out of the park with all of their programming. Then again they only put out a handful of new shows a year.

Giantrobo 06-06-04 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Drive-In Nut
Who the hell cares about his performance? I think his name overshadowed any of that bullshit.
Then go back to watching South Park and maybe you can concentrate more on performance.

Drive-In Nut 06-07-04 08:59 AM

Hey now, that was mos definately out of line.

kninestile 06-07-04 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Drive-In Nut
Hey now, that was mos definately out of line.
Cute -smile-