Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

AMERICAN IDOL Finale! (5/25) ***Diana v. Fantasia***

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: The next American Idol is...
Diana DeGarmo!
67.27%
Fantasia Barrino!
32.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

AMERICAN IDOL Finale! (5/25) ***Diana v. Fantasia***

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Who cares who wins tonight?

Didn't the competition end last week when Jasmine was voted off?

Just look at last year's American Idol. It's almost hard to believe that Clay WASN'T the winner. As such, tonight's ep. almost seems like a formality.

(And, FTR, I don't really like the show, my girlfriend is the one who watches it. I don't like this kind of music at all, so I can just sort of sit back and enjoy the idiocy of it without caring one whit about who stays or goes.)
Old 05-25-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fantasia and her Mickey Mouse voice. Coincidence?

Old 05-25-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I like Fantasia

Diana has a great voice but it's just so ****ing ordinary.

And I agree about Diana's first song/Fantasia's Last... Fantasia made it interesting, which is seemingly no easy feat.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-25-04 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-25-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At least we know Paul Anka will die with a smile on his face. Did the man's facial expression change once? I kept having flashbacks to the first Batman movie.
Old 05-25-04, 09:15 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I'm going to vote for Fantanas... what was their number?

Old 05-25-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still wish Latoya was in it.
Old 05-25-04, 09:19 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will go with Diana on this one for the fact that when Fantasia screwed up on her first song the judge patted her on the back, but when Diana was off on her last song they said she blew it.
Come on where is the fairness in that ?
Old 05-25-04, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this show wouldn't know fairness if it walked up and bitch slapped them all.
Old 05-25-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally posted by Mok
I will go with Diana on this one for the fact that when Fantasia screwed up on her first song the judge patted her on the back, but when Diana was off on her last song they said she blew it.
Come on where is the fairness in that ?
In all fairness, Diana kind of blew the first song (well, shouted it, but that seems to be what she does best) and they still gave her oral gratification.
Old 05-25-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
At least we know Paul Anka will die with a smile on his face. Did the man's facial expression change once? I kept having flashbacks to the first Batman movie.
Plastic surgery gone amok.
Old 05-25-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 05-25-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go Fantasia
Old 05-25-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Last time I checked, there were OTHER lyrics to the song "All My Life" than

"YEAAAAAAAAAAAH YEAAAAAAH YEAAAAAAAA! YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!!!!!! YEAH YEAH YEAH"

My goodness my ears are bleeding and it's just the first song.
Old 05-25-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
weee this version of summertime is painful
Old 05-25-04, 10:58 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Recycling songs was a HORRIBLE idea. Diana picked 2 and Fantasia 1... songs that they excelled at before. But it was a lose-lose situation. They had done near perfect renditions the first time, so even if they gave an equal performance it would have a "been there" reaction. And if you do less (as they both did), then it comes off looking really bad. At least a new song doesn't have that impossible benchmark to deal with.
Old 05-25-04, 11:00 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by movieking
Does anyone else feel bad for Randy Jackson? He is such a third wheel. I think that every promo picture of the judges is centered on Paula and Simon, with Randy leaning in, trying to get in the picture. Even when Paul Anka was singing and Simon had his arm around Paula, Randy was leaning over to get in the camera shot. You are not the star, Dawg! Deal with it!
He's clearly the 'Donkey' of the trio.
Old 05-25-04, 11:11 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
If pop music sounds like crap atleast they can look good and fatty can lose the wieght but nasty can't lose the face.
Perhaps they'll enter them both in next year's edition of The Swan...

"For Fantasia we're going to do a series of defuglization procdures, starting at the mouth and continuing on to the rest of the head. In therapy, we're going to try to get her to replace all the "yeah's" with "no's"."

"For Diana, in addition to covering all the mirrors, we're hiding the Hostess snacks. And the Little Debbies. And Nabisco, and, well Jesus I guess we're just going to lock her out of the kitchen altogether. We'll work on those self control issues in therapy."
Old 05-26-04, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Jadzia
I can't believe all the praise Diana got for her first song. I thought it was her worst performance yet. Screaming and out of tune and yet she got praised for it. She got criticized on her last song, but I thought her last performance was better than the first-- she was just all over the place.
Yeah, I'm mostly with Jadzia here. Both Diana's and Fantasia's first songs were pretty ugly, and I was surprised that the judges thought Diana did a good job.

But, I still think Diana's last song was the worst of the night. She was just all over the place on that one, it sounded like she had no idea what was going on. Her second song I actually liked, but then, I liked it the last time she did it, too.

For Fantasia, the first song was pretty bad. Summertime was very good, but not as good as the last time. And the last song was pretty good, much better than Diana's version, but not really her best. I guess her big accomplishment was not completely screwing up on so many notes the way Diana did.

On another note, it seems like the extra phone numbers helped. I actually got through every 3 or 4 calls this time...
Old 05-26-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked Dianas version of the song they both sang better, I don't care for all the yeah yeah yeah's.....Diana seemed to sing it like a normal song, Fantasia seemed to sing it like a Sunday church song. I liked Diana's better.

I though Fantasia's Jodeci (or whoever it was) song was absolutely horrid. I loved Dianas Don't Cry Out Loud the first time, but clearly there were some spots in this version that were not good. Overall, I thought Diana's song was better.

Their other songs were pretty even for me, except for the fact that it does seem like Fantasia has sung Summertime quite a few times. While this was just the second time Diana sang any of her songs, it seems like this is about the fourth time Fantasia has done summertime....and WTF, she always lays on the ground during that song?

I have not been able to stand fantasia since day one. My favorite was Latoya, since she's out, I voted a few times for Diana. Reasons for not liking Fantasia:

visually she is not appealing

her voice is annoying to me, I like a more polished voice

in her first few top 12 performances she did not take criticism well, she gave the judges, particularly Simon, crap when they criticized her about her performance or appearance

that she took her child on stage (which, in my opinion, was an attempt to get votes) and honestly, I'm not generally one to cast stones, but even in this day and age, an unmarried 19 year old with a baby is not really my idea of an American Idol
Old 05-26-04, 01:22 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I missed most of tonight but caught Simon's comment about Fantasia being the best singer they've ever had on any of the shows. That's pretty much tells me it's not even going to be worth watching AI4.

I feel bad for Diana since they've had Randy, Paula, and Simon out all week basically campaigning for Fantasia when their's not that big a gap between the two and it continued tonight.
Old 05-26-04, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
at last it's almost over, the madness.
I agree...thank goodness and good riddance!!!

IMO...Diana did not fair well on I believe her last song but overall she was much better from not only a vocal perspective but performance also. Both will receive record deals......I believe Diana will have TV/Movie offers whereas Fantasia will not. Once again....only my opinion.
Old 05-26-04, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Who cares who wins tonight?

Didn't the competition end last week when Jasmine was voted off?
i assume this is a joke
Old 05-26-04, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally posted by twikoff
i assume this is a joke
Not so sure about that.

With Jasmine, at least there was the controversy surrounding the Hawaii vote. Irregardless how the judges were pushing, they seemed to work in Jasmine's favor.

Now, it seems much more likley that the judges will get what they want.

Jasmine may not have increased the entertainment value but she kept things interesting
Old 05-26-04, 07:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Nothing says American idol than doing a 60 year old song.. twice. Simon is full of crap, he blasts Diana for being too young to sing her song, and says nothing about 19 year old Fantasia singing a 60 year Broadway Tune. Thats a Pop Idol?

Give me a break, this show has gone into the crapper. Last two season were fun, this season has been awful. I am happy it is over and will likely not watch again next year unless there are some wholesale changes.
Old 05-26-04, 07:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It was funny to watch Diana's montage...she just kept getting bigger and bigger as time progressed.

I also read/post at a KKK-run website, and the community there has been active in the AI competitions. This year we phoned in all our votes to Diana, whether folks watch the show or not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.