DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Reminder - WB to re-air both episodes of Superstar USA tonight (merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/365428-reminder-wb-re-air-both-episodes-superstar-usa-tonight-merged.html)

Quake1028 05-21-04 09:07 AM

Reminder - WB to re-air both episodes of Superstar USA tonight

I might be easily entertained, but I think this show is funny as hell. It doesn't hurt that Vitamin C is a total hottie either :drool:.

the_dude8 05-21-04 03:56 PM

thanks, what time is the re air?

Patman 05-22-04 08:15 AM

And if you missed it last night, you can catch it again on Sunday night (8-10 p.m. EDT).

calhoun07 05-22-04 12:45 PM

Wow, this show isn't even a week old and WB has already devoted 6 hours of air time to it. Amazing.

I like the show, but what I hate most is every ten or fifteen minutes they remind me why they are doing the show and what the "Superstars" will get when they are flown to Hollywood. I hope they get past that after the first two episodes.

So have they already decided the winner? I take it they won't do live voting like they do for American Idol? If they do take voting, I vote for the nerdy "Celebration" singer to win. Nina Diva is bad, but she's just a tad too polished in my book to deserve to win. But she probably will win, which is sad because I think there is far worse than her on the show.

Quake1028 05-22-04 02:44 PM

I think it's already been taped.

The best line of the show so far "It's fitting that was a song by Climax because that was better than sex." rotfl

ChrisHicks 05-22-04 02:44 PM

damn. we lost power for the last 17 hours and my tivo missed the 2nd ep. I think someone is trying to tell me something about this show. the 1st time I recorded it my vcr killed the tape during rewind then the power outage last night.

Jackskeleton 05-22-04 03:10 PM

Already taped and they already dropped the bomb on them. Check out the way one of those guys (the extreme nerdy looking guy the judges got up and bumped to his singing) reacted before and after he found out

http://forums.ppgworld.com/forum/sho...5&pagenumber=1

Toonie is that guy and the thread starter is his girlfriend who just got the news that he was being taped for a new show... :lol:

Quake1028 05-22-04 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Already taped and they already dropped the bomb on them. Check out the way one of those guys (the extreme nerdy looking guy the judges got up and bumped to his singing) reacted before and after he found out

http://forums.ppgworld.com/forum/sho...5&pagenumber=1

Toonie is that guy and the thread starter is his girlfriend who just got the news that he was being taped for a new show... :lol:

Your post filled me with joy juice.

atari2600 05-22-04 09:13 PM

what days/times will this show be on this season?

toq 05-24-04 11:55 AM

Monday and Tuesday 9pm/8pm Central

atari2600 05-24-04 11:47 PM

thanks - will those be repeats or new episodes (like will they reshow the MON episode on TUE)

Charlie Goose 05-24-04 11:50 PM

I don't mean for this to be a threadcrap, but why would anyone watch a show that's celebrates cruelty just for the sake of being cruel?

Chew 05-25-04 06:25 AM

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
I don't mean for this to be a threadcrap, but why would anyone watch a show that's celebrates cruelty just for the sake of being cruel?
I'll add to that a bit: TVGuide had a blurb in their new issue saying the producers tell the audience the singers are "special" kids (like with terminal cancer or something) so they don't boo.

Jackskeleton 05-25-04 10:48 AM

Because american Idol gets some of it's highest ratings during the first few episodes when they show the terrible among the good. It's proven success. Ask yourself why people laugh when someone gets a kick to the crotch on tv. people like to laugh at others.

toq 05-25-04 11:20 AM

Originally posted by atari2600
thanks - will those be repeats or new episodes (like will they reshow the MON episode on TUE)
During this week at least, Monday and Tuesday will be original airings. In my neck of the woods, they will rerun them Sunday afternoon.

Patman 05-25-04 11:27 AM

It's just amazing how many musically delusional people are willing to appear on camera for a shot at stardom.

fujishig 05-25-04 11:57 AM

You mean like Fear Factor (well, I guess they technically volunteer for that, but it's still like watching people torture themselves). Or any of the other reality shows with a "twist" like Joe Millionaire or Joe Schmo or Average Joe (lots of Joes...)? Or even at it's base, America's Funniest Home Videos?

Granted, I can see your case, and this show might take things a little too far. But people have always taken delight in other people's sufferings. My former boss would refuse to watch any "reality" show at all. He equated them to ancient Rome, where people would delight at Gladiators killing each other, or lions killing people, etc. And while no one's dying, the public (including me at times) gets entertainment watching people belittled, berated, embarassed, or even hurt.

And the thing is, the people on these shows usually don't mind because they want the fame or the money...

Chew 05-25-04 12:15 PM

Originally posted by fujishig
And while no one's dying, the public (including me at times) gets entertainment watching people belittled, berated, embarassed, or even hurt.
Can The Running Man be far behind?

fujishig 05-25-04 01:00 PM

Or Battle Royale?

DRG 05-25-04 05:14 PM

Misery loves company? :)

Patman 05-25-04 05:24 PM

Seriously, how can these people not know that they can't sing?

calhoun07 05-25-04 05:24 PM

I don't feel sorry for one single contestant on Superstar because they all knew what the joke was at the end of the taping of all the episodes, and they all signed agreements to be shown on TV doing all that stupid stuff they do, and the winner won some good prizes. I've seen some of them on TV crying they were duped. Please, spare me. They were let in on the joke at the end and they are TV because they wanted to be and signed release forms, not because they were duped. The whole bits where they are going on TV crying because they got duped is pure BS because you know they got paid for their time on TV, and you know they are getting paid well for their time to appear on these other shows. Cry me a river, little JT.

fujishig 05-25-04 06:44 PM

Well, they may have signed release forms before they realized they were duped... I'm sure a lot of these people aren't rocket scientists, and didn't bother to read the fine print in the contract. The contract probably gave their release, allowing the WB to air their segment, and didn't promise anything about picking the best singers. I'm sure the contract was carefully worded, though anyone would assume that such a contest would be about the best and not the worst.

That being said, they did sign the release in some fashion, so they hardly had reason to complain.

Goldberg74 05-25-04 08:19 PM

The WBs Superstar USA: From 12 to 8 (5/25)

Okay... who's watching?

I am.

B.A. 05-25-04 08:23 PM

Me, too.

I already posted in the original thread.