Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

24 5/18 (watch out for radio station spoilers!)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

24 5/18 (watch out for radio station spoilers!)

Old 05-20-04, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't you mean Ryan Chappelle?
Old 05-20-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Vonner
Don't you mean Ryan Chappelle?
i think it was sarcasim but who knows
Old 05-20-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
i think it was sarcasim but who knows
No sarcasm would be if he said something like "yeah I hate that there were so many Davids on the show" etc. etc.

The prior poster had posted "the execution of Dave Chappelle". It being very hard to make the mental leap that the Chappelle referred to was Ryan after all we have had some many guys named Chappelle getting executed this year.

But Vonner did catch me in making the error of calling Ryan Chappelle, David. I admit it, my goof as well.

Brilliant catch Vonner. You're on your game. You've gotten the discussion back on track as everyone was surely confused. Therefore fully noted that there is only one dead Chappelle on 24 and his name was Ryan.

Say, if you have anything to add to the actual discussion points you be sure to chime in ..... mmmmkay?

I just hope that Chappelle is spelled with two L's ...

Now that's sarcasm
Old 05-20-04, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by ctyankee
Say, if you have anything to add to the actual discussion points you be sure to chime in ..... mmmmkay?
I will.
Old 05-20-04, 12:44 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 591 Likes on 338 Posts
I have a warm feeling inside. I think threads like this are what das Monkey was thinking about in this thread when he said:

I too have shopped around quite a bit, and it's really hard to find the level of coherent and often intelligent discussion we have here.
Old 05-20-04, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Meteu185
That just doesn't make much sense to me - if it started Jan 3rd it would have to run through June 13th, uninterrupted, to get in the full 24 episodes.

What, is it going to be 20 next year???
According to Zap2It, there is going to be a 2 hour season premiere and a 2 hour finale and potentially a 2 hour show in the middle so that it will end during May Sweeps.
Old 05-20-04, 01:03 PM

Three special TWO-HOUR Don't Fark With Jack-a-thons!

Uninterrupted '24' Run Begins in January (Thursday, May 20 09:18 AM) By Daniel Fienberg

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Regular viewers of FOX's "24" know that even if you catch every episode, figuring out where the plot is going is often a challenge. One week Kiefer Sutherland's Jack Bauer is in Mexico and the next week, Mexico doesn't matter anymore. One week Dennis Haysbert's President Palmer has a girlfriend whose husband is committing suicide and the next week she's gone, never to be mentioned again. Some weeks Jack's hooked on smack and a virus is about to take over the West Coast and then the next week, Jack's clean and sober and the virus is a secondary concern.

Throw in the programming interruptions that often preempt "24" for multiple weeks at a stretch and it's no wonder that the ratings for the award winning drama have been erratic this season.

FOX aims to bring stability back to "24" next year. The series won't return until January, when it moves into a new time period on Monday nights at 9 p.m. ET. The show will get a two-hour premiere and a two-hour finale. FOX Entertainment President Gail Berman also promises a two-hour special event episode in the middle of the season. The three instances of doubling down will allow "24" to reach its conclusion by the end of the May sweeps period.

The network's hope is that while the new time slot strips "24" of its protected post-"American Idol" hour, airing on Mondays will prevent the kind of schedule juggling that left the show on the shelf whenever "Idol" stretched to two hours. The plan is to air the entire season without a single repeat (long the "24" standard) and without a single week off (a miracle if it happens).

"'24' is appointment television and we believe that moving it to Monday, creating an event out of it with no breaks in the schedule, will enable the viewer to really get on the ride and have an event that takes you through to May with it," Berman says.

In its third season, "24" averaged 9.35 million viewers before the January premiere of "Idol." The boost from the popular talent show has only been moderate, lifting "24" to its season average of 10.18 million viewers, down by roughly a million from last season's numbers.

Except for random periods where the show has vanished from FOX's schedule for weeks at time, the network has been consistent in its support of the atypical series. In planning the new multi-tiered year-round schedule, though, executives determined that it was time to share the cushy "Idol" warmth.

"We need to make room on the schedule for new hits," Berman admits "We'd like 'American Idol' to be used as a launch pad for new opportunities for the network."
Old 05-20-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bandoman

I have a warm feeling inside. I think threads like this are what das Monkey was thinking about in this thread when he said:
Talk about egregious quote abuse. I'd take back my remarks, but ... well ...
Spoiler:
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

das
Old 05-20-04, 01:08 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 591 Likes on 338 Posts
Monday nights starting in Jan, with three two-hour "event" episodes?

I can live with that.

Now if I can only convince the judge to move my Feb. 28 trial to late May...
Old 05-20-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The move to January will avoid Monday Night Football, but at 9 p.m. it's going to compete for my live HDTV viewing of either Everwood or Las Vegas, in addition to "24" if Fox does commit to broadcasting in HDTV, and not EDTV.
Old 05-20-04, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Bandoman
Monday nights starting in Jan, with three two-hour "event" episodes?

I can live with that.

Now if I can only convince the judge to move my Feb. 28 trial to late May...
I'm with you, this sounds goods.

And if there is Presidential address or like event, maybe even another two hour episode.
Old 05-20-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Presidential state of the union address is almost always on Tuesday nights, so being on Monday, it won't interfere with "24" new schedule.
Old 05-20-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
But you forgot to convert that to 24's timeline. Contestants will only have 4 seconds to respond. You're just gonna have to trust me.
And instead of Phone a Friend you can phone Jack Bauer (this was the only way FOX would agree to let Keifer host the show)

Keifer will run backstage and say "The answer is _____. You just have to trust me! We have no time!" Then he will run back on stage before the camera is on his empty chair.
Old 05-20-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by Roto
And instead of Phone a Friend you can phone Jack Bauer (this was the only way FOX would agree to let Keifer host the show)

Keifer will run backstage and say "The answer is _____. You just have to trust me! We have no time!" Then he will run back on stage before the camera is on his empty chair.
They were going to have Chloe do it, but she kept hanging up on everyone.
Old 05-20-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally posted by ctyankee
If she fights David, Wayne takes the fall for David. David then moves on to his fourth presidential advisor (Sherry really was the first, old white guy and then Wayne). After the election, Wayne gets the ol' presidential pardon. Sherry still loses as David is the presidential hero that saved millions from dying.
You haven't been hanging out with Corrine Brown (D-FL), have you? http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=349595
Old 05-20-04, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by kenbuzz
You haven't been hanging out with Corrine Brown (D-FL), have you? http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=349595
My apologies to all that were offended by my "old white guy" comment. It was insensitive.

I meant to say "old white dude." My bad.

Please you have to trust me on this, I meant well.
Old 05-21-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bralph
They were going to have Chloe do it, but she kept hanging up on everyone.
Whoever this is, we have a bad connection and I'm sorry but I'm really busy.
That's it! I'm calling FOX. I think this 24 gameshow could work
Old 05-21-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts
^^ I'm with you. For the phone a friend they could make it random. You pick two characters from CTU and Chloe is always the third. Have each one on speed dial. #1, #2, #3. None of them labeled.

Could make a good parody PC game at any rate.
Old 05-24-04, 12:34 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm kind of glad both Nina and Sherri are dead. While they were both good villains, the 24 writers were relying a bit too much on them. Nina's appearance this season was terribly forced yet did her death did bring us that cool moment of closure, while Sherri brought life to a stagnant Palmer story arc. But I think both characters have finally been exhausted of story potential. 24 should have been adding new faces to the mix, like they did last season with Marie Warner. At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see Marie Warner, or Mandy from season 1/end of season 2 show up next season.

Whatever happened to Mandy anyway? She gave the Pres a poisonous handshake but did they ever say they got her? I know they vaguely said the guilty parties were found, but who knows in 24Land?