Reload this Page >

Joan of Arcadia 5/14/04

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Joan of Arcadia 5/14/04

Old 05-15-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Joan of Arcadia 5/14/04

I didn't comment on last week's episode because I watched it pretty late in following week, though I thought it was just average.

Last night's episode, "The Gift" dealt with Joan being told to find something to give Adam. Joan does some things that pissed off Adam. She has no idea what to give him. He needs a buck for lunch, and she tries to give him $10 as a gift and that irritates him to no end. Later she looks for clues as to what he wants and rummages through his bag and finds a condom, so she gets the idea that Adam is wanting to knock boots. Joan is terrified by this thought. Joan discusses it with Grace, and Grace just tells Joan to make her own decision if it's what Adam really wants.

Luke is still confused by his feelings and he is easily agitated, and actually chews off his mother's head, figuratively. Luke has feelings for Grace, even bought something that he thought Grace would like. At a study session he gives it to her reluctantly, and Grace plays it cool, but confused.

Kevin is a little too ambitious when he covers the docket of court cases, and an article he write results in a plea bargain that Will work out with the DA being thrown out and the perp (out of work father steals from a place that he has previous knowledge of their security system because he used to work at the security system provider) winds up having to serve 2 years. Kevin is so blase about his role in this case, so Will literally rolls Kevin out to watch the perp being put in a truck headed for prison and his family is looking sad at this prison sentence. Kevin gets the message that both sides need to be investigated before just running with a story idea.

Later, Joan meets Adam at the hotel where he works (as a cleaning crew member) and Joan is leaning towards giving into what she thinks Adam wants. Adam is taken aback by Joan's thoughts, and he tells her that the condom was from health class, and this next level of their relationship isn't what he wants. But Adam confesses to Joan that his father hurt his back and this is why Adam is now working after school, to provide for him and his father while he's out of work.

When Joan comes back home, she's preoccupied with finding the name of a French artist. Her parents ask Joan where she's been and with whom, and why didn't she answer her cell phone when they called. Joan's answers make Helen and Will think that Joan did the deed and are very concerned at this possible develoment. Joan has to allay their fears, and finally Joan gets the artist whom she thinks is like Adam at this point in his life, Helen tells Joan that it was Rodan who have humble beginnings that led to a fruitful legacy.

Later, Joan meets Adam on top of the building, and Joan gives Adam a photo of Rodan and his wife. She explains the history of Rodan, and Adam doesn't think he's of that caliber, but Joan is just trying to give Adam faith and inspiration to hang in there and make the best of his current situation. Joan and Adam continue to deepen their level of communication processes. It was a very tender moment.
Old 05-16-04, 01:14 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
I thought it was a decent epsiode.

I liked Will taking Kevin out to see what he had done by writing that story.

The finale next week looks good. I noticed the scene with
Spoiler:
Helen talking to high school student version of God
, that should be interesting
Old 05-16-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Joan of Arcadia 5/14/04

Originally posted by Patman
[BLuke is still confused by his feelings and he is easily agitated, and actually chews off his mother's head, figuratively. [/B]
Whew! Thanks for putting 'figuratively' in there. Up until the end of the sentence, I thought that you were being literal!

The relationship between Luke & Grace is very sweet. It's clear that this show is not written by geeks, because real high school geeks don't talk or act as depicted here.

Kevin learned his lesson, trying to make something out of nothing, and screwing up a dude's life in the process.

Preview for season finale
Spoiler:
Does HELEN speak with God next week?
Old 05-16-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is what was on zap2it a few weeks ago:

Spoiler:
By the season finale, Joan will find out that she is not well.

Not exactly sure what it means, but we did see

Spoiler:
her is a hospital. Are they pulling the Buffy "it's all in her mind because she is disturbed" plot? If so, it is a bit early for it.
Old 05-16-04, 09:22 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by movieking
This is what was on zap2it a few weeks ago:

Spoiler:
By the season finale, Joan will find out that she is not well.

Not exactly sure what it means
Spoiler:
lyme disease
Old 05-16-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like this episode. Glad they didn't go through with it. Very funny when mom asked her if she's sure she didn't have sex. And Joan said she took health class in school and know if she did it or not. Haha.

Preview for next week looks good. What is Joan going to do now that God doesn't talk to her?
Old 05-16-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mookiemeister
I like this episode. Glad they didn't go through with it....
Like there was any doubt? (Still, I'm also glad they didn't.)

I think this show has gotten worse and worse as the season has gone on.
Old 05-16-04, 06:11 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by movielib
I think this show has gotten worse and worse as the season has gone on.
I wouldn't say it's gotten worse, I think stale is a better word.
Old 05-16-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MrX
I wouldn't say it's gotten worse, I think stale is a better word.
OK, I'll buy that. And that means it will probably be absolutely stinking rotten stale by midseason next year unless they can come up with some sort of originality/new direction for the show.
Old 05-16-04, 06:32 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by movielib
OK, I'll buy that. And that means it will probably be absolutely stinking rotten stale by midseason next year unless they can come up with some sort of originality/new direction for the show.
I agree
Old 05-16-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking this show is just stagnating. Finally got around to watching this episode... I wrote what I thought was wrong with JoA in a thread for a show a couple months ago, and nothing has changed. It's basically the same argument I saw in the Smallville thread for last week’s episode: The characters just haven't evolved.

The thing that specifically got me about this episode sums up the entire series: The deal with Joan having "faith" in Adam. Someone correct me if I missed some small dialogue, but they never really dealt with Joan destroying his art project. Joan went around saying "I'm so sorry", but there was never really a confrontation in which Joan gave a legitimate reason for being utterly insane in Adam's eyes.

Then tonight Adam says "Jane has faith in my art". Huh? She destroyed his "masterpiece" or whatever it was, which ended up being forgotten in a few episodes, and now Joan has had faith in him all along? This show was #1 on my list for the first few episodes... I think focusing on the Joan & Adam relationship has been a mistake, and one that is dragging this show down quickly. Not to mention... What on earth happened to Adam's annoying ex-girlfriend who seemed like the star of the show for a couple episodes, then disappeared?

The same deal is going on with Glennis & Luke & Grace. These relationships are just seeming forced and odd, and then weird stuff happens that makes things go all over the place from episode to episode. The relationships are so confusing and there just seems to be this odd lack of continuity that is hard to explain. This show was best when it focused on Joan helping people... It needs to get back to that if it's going to survive its sophomore season. We haven't had an episode where the main plot was God having Joan help a stranger in far too long.
Old 05-16-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that this show has gotten stale. And I think Luke's friend is one of the most annoying characters on tv. He is so lame. I hate his guts.

And what are the odds of Joan crying next week? Whats the streak up to? I dont remember the last time she didnt cry. Its getting old fast.
Old 05-17-04, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's getting stale too. I remember the first few months. I didn't want to miss an episode. Now I don't set my schedule around it. If I see it...fine....if I don't....fine.

Also, I recently watched The Ring again and realized how much slimmer Amber was in that. She's doing a Diana Degarmo.