Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol (5/4): The Final Five (Big Band Week!)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Choose One: Who was the BEST tonight? (5/4)
Diana DeGarmo
18.18%
Fantasia Barrino
21.21%
George Huff
15.15%
Jasmine Trias
3.03%
La Toya London
42.42%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

THE PRESSURE KEEPS BUILDING!
SPECIAL PROGRAM NOTE:

Don't miss the all new special AMERICAN IDOL: THE FINAL FIVE '04 where we get intimate with the final 5 and hear them sing their favorite song from the season so far! Watch it Monday at 8/7c on FOX!

Each contestant has come this far and nobody wants to go home now. Not when they're this close to the big brass ring. Speaking of big brass, it's Big Band Week this time around. Who will be able to throw us back to the '40s with a classy and masterful performance in front of the band? And who will finally let the spotlight get to them?

Find out when you watch another round of live performances this Tuesday at 8/7c on FOX! Then come back Wednesday at 8:30/7:30 for the live results show. Only four can move on, so somebody has to go home!
Its Big Band Week! (If only John had held out this long...)

Tonight (5/3) we get treated to a 'get to know your idol" night... with them singing their favorite song... actually its just a way to get people to segue into The Swan.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 05-04-04 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-03-04, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah i know.... John would have probably down well this week....
Old 05-03-04, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be cool to see John as the guest performer this week doing a classic Sinatra or Martin tune.
Old 05-04-04, 11:18 AM

This week I'm going to have to go with LaToya although Jasmine was a close second.
Old 05-04-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: American Idol (5/4): The Final Five (Big Band Week!)

Originally posted by Goldberg74
... actually its just a way to get people to segway into The Swan.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 05-04-04 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-04-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Y2K Falcon - LOL!! One day the folks on these boards will learn to spell.

A semi-interesting, conspiracy theory side note.

Posted my question from the last American Idol thread on the official Fox AI board regarding the validity of Fantasia's presence in the competition (since she appeared on a live gospel recording one month later). I asked if she should be disqualified on similar grounds that Clarkson was questioned on. In Clarkson's case, the issue was dropped since she hadn't officially released anything. Barrino has two recordings under her belt (the aforementioned 2003 recording and a 2000 Barrino Family recording).

While I received some weak responses in the couple of hours following the initial post, I noticed something strange only moments ago. The Fox AI forum webmaster has felt it necessary to delete the thread I started earlier this morning. Gone. Zippo. Vanished. A search under my username brings up 0 posts.

Why delete my dumb thread? Last time I looked, the language was clean and no one was using it as an attack pulpit on another member of the forum.

Is AI trying to hide something??

Just curious.

BTW, heard Kim Locke's new CD today. Very nice and much better that anything released yet from other Idol contestants. Good mix and not quite as pre-packaged sounding. Leaves me feeling confirmed in my thoughts that she should have won last season.
Old 05-04-04, 12:18 PM

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts
I hope somebody does "Every Rose Has Its Thorn." Of all the Big Hair Bands, Poison was my favorite.
Old 05-04-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seriously, I would love Monster Ballad night to happen.
Old 05-04-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by El Scorcho
Seriously, I would love Monster Ballad night to happen.
Me too.
George Huff on "Love of a Lifetime" by Firehouse? I can see that.

Nice to see there are already votes in this poll. So much for true results.
Old 05-04-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Crazie
This week I'm going to have to go with LaToya although Jasmine was a close second.
Did you get to see it already?
Old 05-04-04, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by Jeremy517
Did you get to see it already?
Yeah man it was on last nite!! LMAO looks like someone is on the short bus.
Old 05-04-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Crazie
Yeah man it was on last nite!! LMAO looks like someone is on the short bus.
Um...last night was just a "special" recap show with a closer look at the final five. Tonight is the actual American Idol contest.
Old 05-04-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: American Idol (5/4): The Final Five (Big Band Week!)

Originally posted by Goldberg74
... actually its just a way to get people to segue into The Swan. [/B]
Fixed it... sorry.
Old 05-04-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Had to vote for LaToya. I still love the sound of George's voice but LaToya blew me away tonight.
Old 05-04-04, 08:20 PM

I don't get all the praise for Diana. I thought her vocals were horribly flat tonight. I can't stand her Minnie Mouse speaking voice either.

Jasmine was also bad, again. Why did she pick that outfit for big band night?

This show would be much better if you got rid of the high school girls.

George was disappointing. I like him but he could have done much better tonight. He finally does a Louis Armstrong song, but he tones down his raspy vocals instead of showing them off.

La Toya was amazing and I can even forgive her for mixing up Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole. Oops. She was so confident while singing it was weird seeing her get flustered between songs like that.

They really played "fast & loose" with the whole definition of Big Band, huh?

Fantasia was pretty good, but I think she could have chosen something better for her than the Queen song. I love that song, but I don't think it really fit her that well. She should have done a classic Billie Holiday song.
Old 05-04-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Red would've owned this week. George Huff is a talentless bastard.
Old 05-04-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Paula was painted up like Bozo the clown tonight. Waaaay too much makeup.
Old 05-04-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Had to vote for Toyota... she's the best of the bunch!

Old 05-04-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by johnglass
Paula was painted up like Bozo the clown tonight. Waaaay too much makeup.
She looks likes she's been slapped around. The sling a couple of weeks ago and the broken finger. All the signs.
Old 05-04-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Timber
She looks likes she's been slapped around. The sling a couple of weeks ago and the broken finger. All the signs.
Simon must've bitch-slapped her happy ass.
Old 05-04-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jadzia

I don't get all the praise for Diana. I thought her vocals were horribly flat tonight. I can't stand her Minnie Mouse speaking voice either.
I dropped by to say the same thing. She's been flat the past 3-4 weeks, and especially in her second song tonight. Putting her in at the same level of La Toya and Fantasia is pure nonsense.

Jadzia

La Toya was amazing and I can even forgive her for mixing up Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole. Oops. She was so confident while singing it was weird seeing her get flustered between songs like that.
Yeah, she was spectacular. I thought it was great to see her get flustered, because it showed how nervous she really is and how amazingly she hides that when she performs.

Jadzia

They really played "fast & loose" with the whole definition of Big Band, huh?
I laughed at that. Big Band + vocal standards + musicals + songs of the 70s.

Jadzia

Fantasia was pretty good, but I think she could have chosen something better for her than the Queen song. I love that song, but I don't think it really fit her that well. She should have done a classic Billie Holiday song.
She was very good, but fell short IMO. The difference as I see it is that her two songs were relatively easy. La Toya broke out with two incredibly difficult songs to perform, and she nailed them both. I also have to give La Toya credit for being the only one of the five not to make some cheap sympathy grab at the audience during the transition. "This is for the troops ... and my grandfather ... and my baby ... and the island of Hawaii ... and Cancer victims ... and puppies, cute puppies ..." She simply said the song was a lot of fun and it was great to follow in the tradition of great vocalists. Very classy.

I guess I'd rank them as such:

La Toya
Fantasia
George
Diana/Jasmine

I just hope America doesn't screw up like they did with Tamyra. I think a face-off between La Toya and Fantasia would make a great finale. I wish we could skip three weeks to get there, because I'm quite tired of hearing George, Diana, and Jasmine.

das
Old 05-04-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a good night, especially after two trainwrecks.

I'm an unabashed George-Man, and I'm not waivering. He didn't go all out George, but he was controlled and smooth. And he delivered a good performance when he probably needed a great one.

Of course, I know that LaToya should win, and I'll be happy for her when she does.

Fantasia saved her night with the second song, because the first was as enjoyable as steering into oncoming traffic without all of the brief euphoria.

Diana reminds me of sausage. It's so unfortunate that I can't concentrate when she's on, because all I hear is "I wish I were an Oscar Meyer weiner..."

Jasmine is Jasmine. She needs to go next. Actually, she needs to go several weeks ago, but I'll take next.
Old 05-04-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

George is difficult to watch, because he has that "Oh, Lordy Lordy" look on his face during every performance. He could be singing the National Anthem, and he'd still look like someone just walked in on him while taming the dragon.

das
Old 05-04-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
I predict Jasmine is the one to go. Too bad, she's a hottie.
Old 05-04-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to agree with Mad Dawg. I have been a big fan of George since auditions. It has pained me to see him faulter after being so good the first few weeks. Both this week and last week, though, I think he has come back into form a bit . I hope he survives. I think either him or Jasmine are gone, mainly because the judges seem to so want them gone.

Maybe its just my overall dislike for Fantasia but once again, I thought she sounded cartoonish and off key in places. I believe she is talented and should be in the top 5 but I think she was a bit overrated tonight. I know, probably my bias against her talking...

I believe Diana is beginning to get a bit overrated as well. She is merely average most weeks IMO. She sounds great in places but flat in places as well...and that dress?!! I could not seem to take my eyes off that big bulge of baby fat around her middle. Not flattering...

Latoya was once again solid and probably deserves to win it all. I just don't particularly care for her personality. I know this isn't a personality contest but I came out of that show last night disliking Latoya and Jasmine and liking George even more. Diana seemed fake. I missed Fantasia's "chat". Maybe it would have affected my view of her.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.