Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Possible 'Angel' TV movie due out in September?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-04, 08:05 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Here's some info guys...MAY be fake...some spoilers I suppose...

Posted at buffy.nu

From Mediasharx.com - By Marcus Ferrell - 2004-04-23rd

Scooper ’Daybill’ returned with some news from the ANGEL front:

The WB is working on a new stand-alone telemovie, ANGEL, to air tentatively in September. The first two-hour pic is going to essentially launch the series as a sequence of films - different villain, different storyline, each one.

The first is going to tie-in with the events of the series final episode. The season ender is going to go out with a huge cliffhanger, and we’ll have to wait till September to find out how it all ends.

Eliza Dushku is in talks to appear in the telemovies, as Faith, the vampire slayer. Her series TRU CALLING isn’t going to be picked up for a second season, so I assume she jumped at it.

There’s no titles for these Angel films yet, but all six - bi-monthly over a period of a year - will be something like ANGEL: OUTLAWED, or ANGEL: DOMINION. You get the pic.

What’s interesting is, Joss Whedon’s not going to have much to do with the first couple. He’s apparently doing a movie for Universal. Wonder how that’s going to go down with fans?

I guess that big truck - which i again saw last week driving around - did something to save this show.

How valid is this report? Well, Daybill hasn’t failed us before, but September seems like too quick a turnaround for a tv movie, although not altogether impossible. It’s possible that the first could be filmed after a short break, but I would think that the principal cast would want to get away from these characters for a while.

The finale Daybill speaks of also lines up with an April 17 report from our friends over at Spoiler Slayer, where they said that the series will likely end on a cliffhanger.

Joss Whedon’s lack of involvement - I wouldn’t be surprised. The movie Daybill speaks of is, of course, the film version of FIREFLY, which is being fasttracked at Universal. However, if these movies go forward, I have no doubt that some of the ANGEL/Mutant Enemy regulars will return.

Updated: The boys and girls over at Whedonesque had a good point that contradicts the report (that I, I’m ashamed to say, didn’t think of) - some places have already reported that TRU CALLING will be picked up for another season, even though networks seem to like to mess with executive producers’ minds and tell them they’re being renewed when they haven’t been. Regardless, remember that this report is a rumor. Take nothing as absolute fact until you hear it from the Frog.
Old 04-28-04, 12:30 AM
Suspended

80 views and NO replies? I KNOW this board is filled with Angel fans!
Old 04-28-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think people just realize this is just a fanboy's dream. The first time I read it, the bit about "Her series, TRU CALLING, isn't going to be picked up for a second season." is a major red flag for any legitimacy this article had.

Unless I missed some major news, the possibility of Tru getting renewed is better than it's ever been since Priestly joined and the ratings improved. It definitely hasn't been canceled yet. That pretty much blows any possibility of truth in my opinion, and I reckon most of the other 80 people that have read it. Combine that with the godawful titles mentioned... The whole article smells of BS.
Old 04-28-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
90TRU10 CALLING is a good show. Since Friends will be gone, ratings should pick up some. I think it does pretty good in it's tough time slot.
Old 04-28-04, 01:01 AM

well, you know what? I'm gonna believe him anyways. Take that, naysayers.
Old 04-28-04, 01:19 AM

ÅngelBat and Angel are not related to each other in any way

I think I'm gonna believe too. After all, Angel *IS* my boy
Old 04-28-04, 09:40 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm willing to believe the part about the movies. The Faith thing, I dunno. But the part that seems a bit farfetched to me:

"The first is going to tie-in with the events of the series final episode. The season ender is going to go out with a huge cliffhanger, and we’ll have to wait till September to find out how it all ends."

followed by
"What’s interesting is, Joss Whedon’s not going to have much to do with the first couple."

I just don't buy that Joss would end his series with a cliffhanger and NOT be involved with the follow up. Yeah, I know he's not as involved in the show as he was with Buffy, but still. I just don't see the *series* ending on the cliffhanger anyway, upcoming movies or not. I imagine they'd want the actual show to have a definite end, regardless of what tie-in projects follow it up.
Old 04-28-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, three reliable websites are reporting this: buufy.nu, creature-corner.com, and cinescape.com, so there's hope.
Old 04-28-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Hate to be a party pooper, but I'm just not excited about the possibility of these Angel TV movies. The reason is because I know very good and well I'm never going to know when one is on, so I'm just going to end up missing it.

Also, the show has often been its best when it has very long story arcs. So I'm not sure how that can be translated into one-shot stories lasting 90 minutes. However, if all the movies end with some type of a cliffhanger, I'll then worry the WB might pull the plug halfway through the series and leave us hanging without a resolution. (After all, the show's ratings may be severely hindered by the fact that many fans will just accidentally miss it.)

And most importantly - will all of these be released as one DVD box set? If I have all the seasons on DVD, but these never get released, or each one gets released separately with a $19.99 price tag, that will sort of... well... suck.
Old 04-28-04, 12:56 PM
Suspended

I'm sure you won't miss a movie if you visit DVDTalk once a week since someone always posts reminders (hell I'll do it).

Joss is busy working on th FireFly movie at the moment, so it makes sense he won't have a ton of time to work on an Angel movie.

90 minutes, may not be that long, but its pretty much two episodes (without commercials). Sure, there won't be any story arcs, but if you read the article, it will be a monsterof the week, or something to those standards.
Old 04-28-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
From my reading on the Net, this is pretty much a done deal...six Angel movies to run through the 2004-2005 season...basically another half-season commitment to Angel. We know for a fact that the season finale ends with a BIG cliffhanger, so at least one movie is definite at this point...I imagine the other five will depend on ratings for the previous one.

This isn't unprecidented. FOX did the same thing with ALIEN NATION and was quite sucessful at it.
Old 04-28-04, 01:19 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm not an Angel fan, but my gf is - I'll be sure to forward this on to her - she'll be ecstatic!
Old 04-28-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This could be good news if they dont wreck them by making them Angel-lite like the first half of season 5. YOu can tell WB wanted them to get more viewers so they had individualized stories each week and almost no character development. The show has rebounded but lets hope they keep the dark toned Angel if they do the movies.
Id really like to see them mix the casts from Angel and Buffy together which would be a real treat.
Old 04-29-04, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Spoiler Slayer has a slightly different take on the TV movies:

http://www.spoilerslayer.com/archives/003025.php

(No spoilers in that link)
Old 04-29-04, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Spoiler Slayer has a slightly different take on the TV movies:

http://www.spoilerslayer.com/archives/003025.php

(No spoilers in that link)
I think this report is a little more dated than some of the other ones I've read...more recent ones state that the telefilms are a go, and that Tru Calling ISN'T coming back.
Old 04-29-04, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by rennervision
And most importantly - will all of these be released as one DVD box set? If I have all the seasons on DVD, but these never get released, or each one gets released separately with a $19.99 price tag, that will sort of... well... suck.
This is my concern with the movies. What if TPB are thinking about using Angel to test this method of selling DVDs? They can sell each DVD individually, and most of us suckers will buy them.