Advertisers face up to TiVo reality

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advertisers face up to TiVo reality

http://news.com.com/2100-1024_3-5200...l?tag=nefd.top

An excerpt:

A majority of national advertisers plan to cut spending on TV commercials by 20 percent in the next five years, when they believe that ad-skipping devices like TiVo will take hold in households, according to a new survey.

The Web is at the top of many advertisers' lists for a replacement medium, according to a survey Cambridge Mass.-based Forrester Research released Monday.

The premise of the report is that digital video recorders (DVRs) like TiVo that let TV viewers record programming and skip over commercials easily, will be in 30 million homes within the next five years, up from an estimated 3 million today. That has national advertisers considering their options, given the expectation that DVRs will undermine the potency of commercials. It also has them resigned to spending more on advertising in the future, only to reach fewer people.
Click the link for the entire article.
Old 04-26-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Will this mean we could see the shake up of standard television time breaks? Maybe more shorter or varied commercial breaks at unpredictable times? Or perhaps more "sponsored" shows like the first episode of the season of 24?
Old 04-26-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If they would make commercials more interesting, I would watch.

I currently like:

The new Burger King Commercials
The Toyota Siena commercial with the little kid in the shirt and tie
The MSN Butterfly commercials
Old 04-26-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think what this will lead to is putting the advertisement on the screen during the show...by way of a banner or some such device. Studios make their money from advertising, if that becomes less they will have to resort to drastic measures.
Old 04-26-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
I currently like:

The new Burger King Commercials
You have been added to my ignore list.
Old 04-26-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by palebluedot
I think what this will lead to is putting the advertisement on the screen during the show...by way of a banner or some such device. Studios make their money from advertising, if that becomes less they will have to resort to drastic measures.
That will work up until another device comes out that is able to block the banner ads from a tv screen, similar to a pop-up bloakcer for your web browser. I think we all know what they're headed for ultimately--targeted product placement.

Example: You make $35K a year? Fine, sexy character A is shown driving a Chevrolet. You make $150K a year? Sexy character A is shown driving a Lexus in your version of the program. You'll input all your information, for "data collecting purposes only" and get in-program ads based on that info.

That is, as long as they want to keep television (technically) free. After that, they have to demand more money from the cable and satellite companies, who will raise rates (again). It all comes down to whether we're willing to pay up front, or deal with more numerous and sophisticated ads.
Old 04-26-04, 06:45 PM
MrN

Yeah, I think we are headed for more product placements and ads that pop up during the shows.

Originally posted by Achtung
That will work up until another device comes out that is able to block the banner ads from a tv screen, similar to a pop-up bloakcer for your web browser.

As much as I would to see something like this I think its nearly impossible - how would the blocker distinguish between advertisements and legitimate popups? Like the scroll bars on the news networks or the traffic reports/breaking news on broadcast channels?

If broadcast TV is going to remain 'free' I think we'll have to look forward to more insidious forms of advertising.
Old 04-26-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
This technology will lead to one of two things (or even both).

1. A drastic decrease in funding for shows, leading to more low budget concepts (e.g. reality TV).

2. A drastic increase in what we pay to watch these shows. There will be no broadcast TV anymore, and cable prices will sky rocket. I can even see a pay-per-view schedule coming about.

Last edited by SunMonkey; 04-26-04 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-26-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by palebluedot
I've heard PRODUCT PLACEMENT during shows will increase.

Actually, as long as it's not "too obvious" scenes will just look like real life I suppose.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-27-04 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-26-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been fast forwarding past the commercials with VHS tapes for years. (and still do) No, perhaps it's not the easiest method but...

wait, I take that back. It's pretty darn easy.
Old 04-26-04, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
If they would make commercials more interesting, I would watch.
Why lie to yourself? Chances are 99.99999% will not watch commercials even if they are funny. Why? Because NEW commercials are not like New programs. If you've seen the product ad once you've seen it one to many times already. You don't want to tune into it again later on.

Making ad's more interesting, funny, etc. doesn't offer much when the main point of what a commercial is trying to do is something you are not interested in. Sell you something. That's the point. If you don't want to be sold something after they finish showing you the ad, they have wasted their time, their money and your time.

What does this mean? It means you can hear actors in shows sprout out lines like:

"Over there! Lets get away with that F-150!"
"Oh, I hear this gets great gas milage"
"Yes, and the sitting in the back is great for a huge family, or a weekend out in the woods"

Fast forwarding through tape is nothing compared to TiVo where you can simply skip it in a blink of an eye opposed to the VHS fast fowarding where you would have to see it (in fast motion) just to make sure you don't skip the start of the program.

I do see funding for shows to go down simply because the amount they will be taking in by ad companies will be lower. Sad day indeed.
Old 04-26-04, 08:31 PM

I know it probaly wont happen soon, but I wouldn't mind for commercial TV to dissapear altogether. Sell shows on DVD each week. New eps of 24 would be $3.00. Old Simpson Eps would be .75 out of a vending machine.

D
Old 04-26-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
Originally posted by Derrich
I know it probaly wont happen soon, but I wouldn't mind for commercial TV to dissapear altogether. Sell shows on DVD each week. New eps of 24 would be $3.00. Old Simpson Eps would be .75 out of a vending machine.

D
No way--too bulky (and too expensive). But I could see pay per view or "on demand" at a buck an episode or so.
Old 04-26-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

3/episode would make a season of 24 cost $72. i dont think its worth it
Old 04-26-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
It would be very hard for new shows to catch on that way.
Old 04-26-04, 10:07 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

this is good. take that you quizno rat bastards
Old 04-27-04, 12:38 AM

No reason to think that the big budget shows will disappear.

Five years ago the only other market big shows had was syndication. Today, they can clean up on DVD sales.

It'll just mean that money gets distributed differently.

To say that advertisers are "losing out" on television opportunities is to suggest that advertising has not oversaturated the airwaves already. Networks had no problem getting revenue for shows on the air 30 years ago. Today, there are just as many commercial breaks, on top of countless lower 3rds and banner ads. The invention of these overlays was an extra means of advertisement, and will not go away. Less commercial breaks would only mean a balancing out of advertisements, more on par with what we were subjected to in past decades.

Plus, I can't imagine the average public being too sympathetic about this. Try telling my parents that they're going to lose FREE TV and they'll be happy to point out their $60 sattelite bills to prove me otherwise.

Interesting article, thanks for posting it.
Old 04-27-04, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't understand why advertisers don't like TIvo. If used properly it can give better marketing data of who is watching what shows than nielsen.
Old 04-27-04, 09:26 AM

I see shows coming with an advertising ticker, just like the Headline News ticker. That actually wouldn't bother me, assuming it's kept at about that size. I can ignore it easily enough, and the upside is that if they get rid on regular commercials, we get longer shows (or we go to an every 20 minute schedule).
Old 04-27-04, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

"Over there! Lets get away with that F-150!"
"Oh, I hear this gets great gas milage"
"Yes, and the sitting in the back is great for a huge family, or a weekend out in the woods"

Hmm. Somebody is a fan of Alias.
Old 04-27-04, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by al_bundy
I don't understand why advertisers don't like TIvo. If used properly it can give better marketing data of who is watching what shows than nielsen.
More to the point, it can tell them who is not watching their ads.
Old 04-27-04, 10:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with those who think it'll mean more product placement within shows itself. Potentially also like soccer games (which are show w/o commercials) the logo in the corner will become a product logo instead of the channel logo.
Old 04-27-04, 10:21 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I predict this will lead to even MORE reality shows. They can do stuff like American Idol and Survivor do with the in-show tie-ins to Coke, Ford, etc. Or maybe they could take a cue from sports (or old time tv) and have sponsors in the title.

"Wednesday night, it's an all new Diet Pepsi West Wing!"

But the in-show blatant product placements may happen as well... I've always figured the characters on 24 ate and went to the bathroom during the 'blackouts' for commerical breaks. They could just incorporate this.

INT. CTU

Kim sits at her desk eating a delicious pizza. Tony approaches.

TONY
Kim, what the hell is going on here?

KIM
I haven't eaten in ten hours, Tony. If you want my full concentration on decrypting these socket codes I need to eat something.

TONY
That's not what I'm talking about. We're under a Class 4 security lockdown and you had a pizza delivered here? I thought I made it clear, no non-CTU personnel are to come in the building!

KIM
But Tony, it's not delivery, it's DiGiornos!

Last edited by DRG; 04-27-04 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-27-04, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by DRG
KIM
But Tony, it's not delivery, it's DiGiornos!
Old 04-27-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have Tivo and I never watch ads the shows that I record. These are usually the network, scripted type series.

However, I find I watch the most commercials when I just have the TV on and am not actively watching a series I follow. For instance, if I don't feel like like watching a show I've recorded (something that takes my full attention), I'll just put on something like CNN or maybe the Game Show Network while I surf the internet, clean the house, or just sit around. As a result, I end up seeing mostly the lower-budget cable ads that run on these stations, and never the big-budget ads that run on the networks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.