DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Do any websites offer notifications when certain programs are in TV listings? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/357050-do-any-websites-offer-notifications-when-certain-programs-tv-listings.html)

Colleen 04-06-04 12:28 PM

Do any websites offer notifications when certain programs are in TV listings?

There are a number of old TV shows and TV movies that aren't available on video/dvd but show up on TV now and then. Are there any sites that let you put in a "wish list", so to speak, and notify you if those programs show up in the weekly TV listings?

Morf 04-06-04 01:44 PM

I don't know of any sites, sorry.

Sounds like you could use a TiVo. They have WishLists that work in the same way, except they record the show if they see it, not email you. :)

Jeeden 04-07-04 10:29 AM

What you need to do is get a hold of a good programmer who doesn't have very busy workdays and have them write something like google news alerts...but for television. :)

Colleen 04-07-04 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Jeeden
What you need to do is get a hold of a good programmer who doesn't have very busy workdays and have them write something like google news alerts...but for television. :)
Shut up, Jeremy. If I wanted to work all day I'd find a different job. ;)

But I guess you owe me one for the Mini Cooper jab last week... :P

mrpayroll 04-07-04 12:07 PM

http://www.mybestbets.tv/welcome.jsp

Here is a site that sends you an e-mail everyday based on the shows that you pick as favorites. It's probably the closest to what you want.

Chris

Colleen 04-07-04 03:47 PM

Originally posted by mrpayroll
http://www.mybestbets.tv/welcome.jsp

Here is a site that sends you an e-mail everyday based on the shows that you pick as favorites. It's probably the closest to what you want.

Chris

Awesome, this looks like just what I wanted. The very first thing I searched for was an obscure TV movie from the early 80's and it was in their database. I'm looking forward to building my Favorites list. Thanks so much!!!

mrpayroll 04-07-04 03:50 PM

That's whats so great about the Internet community. Need something? There's always someone else that has already done it and can guide you in the right direction. :)

Chris

ClarkKentKY 04-07-04 04:23 PM

Hey Mrpayroll Thanks for the site! I've been playing catch up with a couple of shows (alias, buffy) And this site looks like it can help!

Trevor 11-13-09 09:40 AM

Re: Do any websites offer notifications when certain programs are in TV listings?

Linked site no longer works. I'm sure there are other similar options, but I'm not finding them right now.

Tommy Ceez 11-13-09 10:27 PM

Re: Do any websites offer notifications when certain programs are in TV listings?

Buy a Tivo

GMan2819 11-13-09 11:33 PM

TitanTV can send messages to your cellphone when a favorite show shows up in the guide. The maximum advance notice time is 3 hours.

TVNotify.com can send notifications a day in advance to your email addy.

Trevor 11-15-09 09:05 AM

Those two sites work, but only for the easy things. I have a DVR and don't miss any of my regular shows.

So I'm more interested, like the OP, in a 'wish list' of rarely seen old movies and TV shows, and of guest stars or themes.

For example, say that WKRP in Cincinnati is not currently being aired by any station. It does come around from time to time, and I'd like to not miss it when some random cable network starts airing repeats.

Several of the sport channels air classic games. I'd like to be notified of all the Minnesota games without having to search for them every week.

If I could set up standard searches and have my cable box programmed to do them weekly, it would be fairly easy. But right now, it appears the only way is to do a manual search of each show/star/theme I'm interested in once a week.

Does Tivo work better? Can you have set themes/names/actors that it continuosly gives you notifications of?

GMan2819 11-15-09 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9836504)
Does Tivo work better? Can you have set themes/names/actors that it continuosly gives you notifications of?

Tivo doesn't notify you per se, but it can be set up to auto-record actor, director, category, keyword, and title wishlists. If you have auto-record turned on and there's a conflict with other scheduled recordings, the wishlist priority level determines whether or not it gets recorded. Thus, if you don't set the priority level high enough, you could still miss recordings.

Trevor 11-15-09 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by GMan2819 (Post 9836815)
Tivo doesn't notify you per se, but it can be set up to auto-record actor, director, category, keyword, and title wishlists. If you have auto-record turned on and there's a conflict with other scheduled recordings, the wishlist priority level determines whether or not it gets recorded. Thus, if you don't set the priority level high enough, you could still miss recordings.

Thanks. Not sure if it's worth the hassle of debundling my DVR service thru Fios, and setting up a TIVO.

TIVO is what, maybe $200 for the unit and $13 a month still?