Reload this Page >

Freaks and Geeks Discussion

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Freaks and Geeks Discussion

Old 12-06-12, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts
Re: Freaks and Geeks Reunion Photo Shoot

Pretty awesome, but wish they did one recreating the original poster, with the Freaks and Geeks all in one shot. But man, they even got all the parents, that is pretty amazing.
Old 12-06-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Phibes
There's a pretty cool "What would've happened in season two" article here:

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/osc...eaks-and-geeks
I'm from Michigan and I like to think Lindsay would have met me, fallen madly in love and we got married after we finished graduate school at U of M and she was pregnant with our first child. Season 8?

This makes me even more sad than Firefly (by a very slim margin). I adored this show and I related to everyone on it. I wasn't any one of the characters, but I was either parts of them at some point or friends with people who were very much like them. They were a bit older than me, but I remember the music and the clothes and it was and still is bittersweet to have lost these characters way too soon.

The Yearbook collection is one of my most cherished possessions.
Old 12-06-12, 05:13 PM
Banned

Cindy needs to let her hair grow long.
Old 12-06-12, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That was absolutely great.
Old 12-06-12, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Jason Schwartzman is in the exact pose and position I'd expect him to be in (in a good way, haha).
He was in only 1 episode- I'm not really sure why he's even in there- it's not like he was a main character or anything.

Oh, it's because he's Jason Schwartzman, that's why.

-jason
Old 12-06-12, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I still can't understand why this sow never succeeded. It had great funny stories every episode and a lot of heart. Great characters too. I know a lot had to do with NBC shuffling it around constantly but another part was the management. If this had come out a few years ago they could've given it another season or two. Seinfeld had horrible ratings the first few seasons but NBC gave it a chance.
Old 12-06-12, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 148 Posts

I never saw or even really remember hearing about the show when it was on. Then my family all watched it together on DVD off a recommendation of a friend and it immediately found it's way onto all of our personal favorite tv show lists, and is the only one I can think of that could claim that.
Old 12-06-12, 09:50 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
He was in only 1 episode- I'm not really sure why he's even in there- it's not like he was a main character or anything.

Oh, it's because he's Jason Schwartzman, that's why.

-jason
He's does other work with Apatow/Fieg. Funny People comes to mind.
Old 12-06-12, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 293 Likes on 185 Posts

Nice. Really good show. To be honest though, I found "Undeclared" to be funnier.
Old 12-06-12, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 945 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I still can't understand why this sow never succeeded. It had great funny stories every episode and a lot of heart. Great characters too. I know a lot had to do with NBC shuffling it around constantly but another part was the management. If this had come out a few years ago they could've given it another season or two. Seinfeld had horrible ratings the first few seasons but NBC gave it a chance.
It premiered at the height of Must See TV. Shows like Seinfeld, Friends and ER ruled the TV. They didn't have the place for middling performers. Hell the tv landscape in 99 included Raymond, Frasier, King of Queens, Will & Grace, 3rd Rock, Spin City, Dharma, Becker, Drew Carey, West Wing, Chicago Hope, Third Watch, CSI, L&O, and a half dozen others. That's an unreal list of hit shows all in one tv season.

Also, looking at that list you have a clear divide of sitcoms and dramas. F&G is a very much "before it's time" hybrid that falls somewhere in the middle. It was also a period show which was very much out of place at the time.

As for shuffling the show around, here's how it played out(courtesy of some Googling):

Spoiler:

Episode 1: Sat. 9/25/99 (8pm - no lead in, followed by the Pretender)
Episode 2: Sat. 10/2/99 (8pm - no lead in, followed by the Pretender)

three week break

Episode 3: Sat. 10/30/99 (8pm - no lead in, followed by the Pretender)
Episode 5: Sat. 11/6/99 (8pm - no lead in, followed by the Pretender)
Episode 6: Sat. 11/13/99 (8pm - no lead in, followed by the Pretender)

two month hiatus

Episode 7: Mon. 1/10/00 (8pm - no lead in, followed by the Dateline NBC)
Episode 8: Mon. 1/17/00 (8pm - no lead in, followed by the Dateline NBC)
Episode 9: Mon. 1/24/00 (8pm - no lead in, followed by the Twenty-One)
Episode 10: Mon. 1/31/00 (8pm - no lead in, followed by the Dateline NBC)
Episode 11: Mon. 2/7/00 (8pm - no lead in, followed by the Dateline NBC)

five week hiatus

Episode 12: Mon. 3/13/00 (8pm - no lead in, followed by the Twenty-One)
Episode 13: Mon. 3/20/00 (8pm - no lead in, followed by the Twenty-One)

3 month hiatus

Episode 14: Sat. 7/8/00 (burn off of 3 episodes)
Episode 15: Sat. 7/8/00 (burn off of 3 episodes)
Episode 16: Sat. 7/8/00 (burn off of 3 episodes)

2 month break before the final unaired 3

Episode 4: Wed. 9/5/00 (ran on Fox Family)

5 week hiatus

Episode 17: Tues. 10/10/00 (ran on Fox Family)
Episode 18: Tues. 10/17/00 (ran on Fox Family)

So yeah, kicking off the show on a Saturday was a bad move to begin with and it wasn't paired with anything similar and never had a big lead in to give it a boost. As much as I love the show, it's pretty easy to see why it failed miserably.

I recall catching one, maybe two episodes during its run. The mascot episode and one other. I recall enjoying it, but yeah, I was 25 at the time. I wasn't staying home on a Sat night to watch tv.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 12-06-12 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-06-12, 09:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Nice. Really good show. To be honest though, I found "Undeclared" to be funnier.
Undeclared was more of a comedy while F&G seemed like a Drama with comedy mixed in (ala Parenthood). Both fantastic shows. I really should go through Undeclared again.
Old 12-07-12, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sarah Hagan looks like a young Annette O'Toole.
Old 12-07-12, 07:44 AM
Political Exile

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

The show was recently added to Netflix Streaming for those that want to revisit this short lived series.
Old 12-07-12, 09:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mhg83
It was set in the early 80's so you would think that many of the people in their 30's would have tuned in. Since they were teenagers in the early 80's.
Old 12-07-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 315 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
The show was recently added to Netflix Streaming for those that want to revisit this short lived series.
I will but I am afraid that I am going to get hooked on it and then be pissed that there are no more to watch! It happens all the time with these short lived series.
Old 12-07-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
It was set in the early 80's so you would think that many of the people in their 30's would have tuned in. Since they were teenagers in the early 80's.
I don't quite remember what the tv landscape was when this show was airing, but I don't remember the last time I watched a show on Saturday night, so that's how I missed it the first time...
Old 12-07-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I would have loved a second season, but then again, its such a perfect one-season show that I'm glad that didn't have a chance to be ruined. Nice photo!
Old 12-07-12, 03:18 PM
Banned

They should try and do a movie it's not like any of the cast are movie superstars where the salary would sky rocket the budget.
Old 12-07-12, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 945 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't quite remember what the tv landscape was when this show was airing,
I'm on someone's ignore list.
Old 12-07-12, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

In a way I'm glad it got just one season because...we got Undeclared. But then that only got one season too.
Old 12-07-12, 06:22 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
They should try and do a movie it's not like any of the cast are movie superstars where the salary would sky rocket the budget.
Honestly, I would bet everyone involved in that show would do a movie for scale.

I've daydreamed about a reunion movie for this show since pretty much the day it went off the air. I'd love to see what these kids are doing now that it's 1990.
Old 12-07-12, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm curious as to how awkward it was for segel and cardillini since they used to date...and FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL is loosely based around their relationship.
Old 12-07-12, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't quite remember what the tv landscape was when this show was airing, but I don't remember the last time I watched a show on Saturday night, so that's how I missed it the first time...
It wasn't always aired on Saturday. During the shuffling and moving, it made its way to Mondays. However, it fared barely better there. While I loved the show and watched it anytime it aired, I don't think the show would've lasted long if given a second season. Due to the show's cancellation, we also got Undeclared the following year.

I just remember when NBC scheduled the final three episodes for some random Saturday in July and just burned right through them.

Man, all the best shows end that way.

Fox Executive #1: Hey, we got these final four episodes of Arrested Development. What should we do with them?
Fox Executive #2: Burn them all while NBC airs the opening ceremony to the Winter Olympics!
Old 12-08-12, 09:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JasonF
Honestly, I would bet everyone involved in that show would do a movie for scale.

I've daydreamed about a reunion movie for this show since pretty much the day it went off the air. I'd love to see what these kids are doing now that it's 1990.
Maybe wait for 1999 and then 9/11/2001 those 2 years would make good movies. But then who still hangs around together after high school.
Old 12-08-12, 10:20 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
It wasn't always aired on Saturday. During the shuffling and moving, it made its way to Mondays. However, it fared barely better there. While I loved the show and watched it anytime it aired, I don't think the show would've lasted long if given a second season. Due to the show's cancellation, we also got Undeclared the following year.

I just remember when NBC scheduled the final three episodes for some random Saturday in July and just burned right through them.

Man, all the best shows end that way.

Fox Executive #1: Hey, we got these final four episodes of Arrested Development. What should we do with them?
Fox Executive #2: Burn them all while NBC airs the opening ceremony to the Winter Olympics!
Even still, more unaired episodes eventually aired on Fox Family channel when they reran the show a while later.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.