Wonderfalls - 03/26/04

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Wonderfalls - 03/26/04

"Wound-Up Penguin", Episode #113.

Spoiler:
Jaye's adventures continue when she discovers a woman hiding out in the Barrel.

Cast: Caroline Dhavernas, Diana Scarwid, William Sadler, Katie Finneran, Lee Pace, Tracie Thoms, Tyron Leitso.
Producer(s): Bryan Fuller, Todd Holland, Tim Minear.

Original Airdate: March 26, 2004.
Old 03-26-04, 09:07 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
I really liked tonight's episode. I like the fact that the writers take a different approach on each episode.
Old 03-26-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I really enjoy this show. It has lots of very funny dialogue, and a non-preachy message. I guess I have said that about every episode so far, but I'm just surprised how much I'm liking this show. Oh, and I also love cheese.
Old 03-26-04, 11:59 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
I didn't think this ep was as good as the first two.

A couple of chuckels but that was it.

I don't really like the bartender character, I forget his name, and this ep had to much of him.

Last edited by MrX; 03-27-04 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-27-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd also rate this episode my least favorite of the 3 so far, the writers seemed to be working too hard in the entire episode, and it showed.
Old 03-27-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with MrX and Patman. I actually nodded off for ten minutes or so...
Old 03-27-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like this episode. It's not as funny as the other episodes, but still has it's cool moments.
Old 03-27-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd rate this one better than the second but not as good as the first. It took awhile to get going but was terrific in the second half.
Old 03-27-04, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also think that this is the worst of the three, but I still thought it was better than 98% of the rest of television. This show has great promise, but it seems like fox has already relegated it to the old friday night death slot.
Old 03-27-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Actually, next week, it's been moved to Thursday.
Old 03-27-04, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
Actually, next week, it's been moved to Thursday.
Hopefully the ratings on Thursday will be better than Fridays. It will be up against CSI and The Apprentice though, so I'm not sure it will do any better. This episode was ok. It wasn't as funny as the others, but was still pretty good.

I also noticed that this was episode 13, so they're being aired out of order. According to an article at AICN, this was the creator's idea and not FOX.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17265
Old 03-27-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thursday at 9 isn't much of an improvement from Friday at 9, considering the competition (especially since I think CSI is new next week)
Old 03-27-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by birdseye
I also noticed that this was episode 13
Right, although with thirteen episodes filmed, this is obviously not intended to be the season finale. Minear has said that these episodes were filmed after the first ten to help ease the transition from the pilot into the meat of the series.

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Thursday at 9 isn't much of an improvement from Friday at 9, considering the competition (especially since I think CSI is new next week)
Well, there are only so many time slots... I'm pretty sure no matter where Fox puts it, someone will complain that it's not good enough. The competition on Thursdays will thin out once The Apprentice is off the air, and between that and Wonderfalls also being slated to air in the summer, it may have a chance to build an audience. Also, bear in mind that although the Thursday encore only posted incrementally better numbers than the Friday premiere, it's awfully rare for an encore to snag more viewers than its debut. This could bode well.

Honestly, though, I'm cynical enough that I accepted from the first episode that a second season is astronomically unlikely. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, though. I just hope Fox airs the thirteen episodes that are in the can now.
Old 03-27-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by movielib
I'd rate this one better than the second but not as good as the first. It took awhile to get going but was terrific in the second half.

This show had me when the priest used the term "nunnery".

I loved it when he said he didn't do exorcisms "because they are violent, disturbing and they're stupid."

And Sister Katrina asking Jaye if she was Pentecostal and if she was going to get violent in showing her God was too much.

I got a kick out of this ep, that is for sure.
Old 03-27-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Adam Tyner
Well, there are only so many time slots... I'm pretty sure no matter where Fox puts it, someone will complain that it's not good enough. The competition on Thursdays will thin out once The Apprentice is off the air, and between that and Wonderfalls also being slated to air in the summer, it may have a chance to build an audience. Also, bear in mind that although the Thursday encore only posted incrementally better numbers than the Friday premiere, it's awfully rare for an encore to snag more viewers than its debut. This could bode well.

Honestly, though, I'm cynical enough that I accepted from the first episode that a second season is astronomically unlikely. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, though. I just hope Fox airs the thirteen episodes that are in the can now.
The Thursday move isn't permanent though (although I hope it would be there over the summer while nothing else is new as they inevitably burn out the remaining eps)

Does this show have any shot of being aired during May sweeps?
Old 03-27-04, 02:59 PM

Jaye to the priest:

And you can bring her back to Him, all 3 Hims.

Jesus, God and the other One!

Being a Presbyterian, I found the comparisons between Catholics & Protestant, spot on!

This show is smart, witty and has a great dry sense of humor. So I'm afraid Fox will cancel this and we will only get 13 episodes of a very funny and biting program.

Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 03-27-04 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-27-04, 04:31 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Ratings were about the same from last week. One bright spot is it actually added viewers from what Playing It Straight pulled in from the timeslot before it.
Old 03-27-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't think it's fair to judge the rating this show has gotten so far without considering what it has had to go up against.

The show has been up against the NCAA tournament the last two weeks...kinda hard to build strong ratings against something like that. Now with that distraction out of the way things should improve.

The pairing of it with Tru Calling is probably a good idea, put those two atrocious reality shows on Friday and hope they'll find a quick death.
Old 03-27-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the episode, the investigation scenes with the bartender and Jaye were probably the highlight, with Jaye assuming they are tracking down a lazy whore.

I also loved when the nun wasn't amused by Jaye's cheese jokes.

It would be nice if all the episodes are aired before the inevitable cancellation, since it's FOX and all, and I would be saddened, even though I'm expecting it. It's the highlight of my Friday night TV watching.
Old 03-27-04, 10:20 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by TheKing
The show has been up against the NCAA tournament the last two weeks...kinda hard to build strong ratings against something like that. Now with that distraction out of the way things should improve.
NBC's shows beat the NCAA tournament last night so I don't know if that will make much differance
Old 03-28-04, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The penguin was a nice touch.

das
Old 03-28-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Am I the only one that can't get the title song out of my head?
Old 03-28-04, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Patman
Am I the only one that can't get the title song out of my head?
You're not the only one. I ended up downloading the tune off of iTunes.
Old 03-28-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally posted by MrX
NBC's shows beat the NCAA tournament last night so I don't know if that will make much differance
It's aired at midnight all three times here, so I think it is definitely making some difference.

And next week is scheduled to start at 11 pm as well.
Old 03-29-04, 11:29 AM

Just a heads up, a new episode of "Wonderfalls" airs this Thursday (4/1) instead of Friday.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.