DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Report: How Does Your Favorite Show Stack Up? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/354400-report-how-does-your-favorite-show-stack-up.html)

Red Dog 03-23-04 10:41 AM

Report: How Does Your Favorite Show Stack Up?

For fans of series on the proverbial renewal bubble, this is a good resource for gauging the possibility of renewal:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...wswire&id=6475

Geofferson 03-23-04 10:47 AM

PLEASE DO NOT COPY OR REPRODUCE THIS REPORT TO OTHER WEB SITES, FORUMS, NEWSGROUPS, ETC.

shame, shame RD ;)

toq 03-23-04 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Geofferson
PLEASE DO NOT COPY OR REPRODUCE THIS REPORT TO OTHER WEB SITES, FORUMS, NEWSGROUPS, ETC.
I understood that to mean the entire article itself and not so much as referencing it through a link.

Red Dog 03-23-04 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Geofferson

shame, shame RD ;)

If linking = copying or reproducing, then sue me. :D

redinger 03-23-04 11:30 AM

Except for "Charmed" (down 1.93%), "Angel" (up 8.44%), "The Surreal Life" (up 17.66%) and "The Jamie Kennedy Experiment" (up 12.56%) all of the WB's returning series are down noticably from last season .... And when you factor in that both "Angel" (Sundays to Wednesday) and "The Surreal Life" (Thursdays to Sundays) are airing in new time periods this season (with more significant lead-ins to boot) that fact looks all the more troubling.
Oh, so here's a good idea. Let's cancel Angel!

Shannon Nutt 03-23-04 11:36 AM

Originally posted by redinger
Oh, so here's a good idea. Let's cancel Angel!
Exactly - the cancellation of Angel pretty much cancelled the validity of this report, didn't it?!

Red Dog 03-23-04 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Exactly - the cancellation of Angel pretty much cancelled the validity of this report, didn't it?!

I would hardly say that. The cancellation of Angel simply demonstrates how moronic the WB executives are. This report proves that.

tobiagorrio 03-23-04 12:35 PM

Yeah, I think the report is quite valid; you just have to adjust for some of the oddities in the categorizations. Example: "King of the Hill," which spent half of last season at 8:30 and half at 7:30, is having its recent 7:00 numbers compared to its numbers in the higher-watched 8:30 slot -- so it looks like it's dropped precipitously when it's actually down about the same as The Simpsons and Malcolm in the Middle. Another example: Scrubs is in both the "biggest losses" categories and the "biggest gains over previous timeslot average" category -- because it's in a worse timeslot (hence the losses over what it was getting before) but doing better than what was in that timeslot before.

Personally I think the comparisons to the previous timeslot averages are the most interesting.

Red Dog 03-23-04 01:17 PM

Originally posted by tobiagorrio

Personally I think the comparisons to the previous timeslot averages are the most interesting.

I agree. I look at something like JAG and the incredible job it is doing on Friday nights. That is an example of a stellar move by a network. They recognized what kind of show JAG is: conservative, campy, 1950's-style programming and put it in a place where they can maximize their profits: Friday at 9 where the most likely people to be watching television are older conservative middle Americans.

Matthew Chmiel 03-23-04 07:13 PM

They recognized what kind of show JAG is: conservative, campy, 1950's-style programming and put it in a place where they can maximize their profits: Friday at 9 where the most likely people to be watching television are older conservative middle Americans.
Why else do you think Walker Texas Ranger lasted so long on CBS? ;)

Michael Corvin 03-23-04 10:14 PM

NBC needs to find a solid home for Scrubs. Plain and simple.

Deftones 03-23-04 10:32 PM

wow, look at the Sunday night on Fox. All down big time. :(