DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Band of Brothers on the History Channel, April 11th. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/352750-band-brothers-history-channel-april-11th.html)

RyoHazuki 03-14-04 02:39 PM

Band of Brothers on the History Channel, April 11th.

Band of Brothers will be on the History Channel on Sunday, April 11th. This is a great chance to watch it if you don't have HBO and aren't sure if you want to drop the money for the box set.

Rypro 525 03-14-04 11:50 PM

how badly edited will this be? all 10 episodes (with commercials, that would be about 12 hours)

MvRojo 03-15-04 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
how badly edited will this be? all 10 episodes (with commercials, that would be about 12 hours)
Longer than that. Assuming 17 minutes of commercials for each hour, and some episodes over 70 minutes. It should probably be around 13-14 hours, assuming they don't edit. I wonder if they'll edit them for content since there are some things that were kinda gruesome.

I have the DVDs so it doesn't matter to me, but just interesting.

Rypro 525 03-15-04 12:20 AM

and the language was strong ( a few f bombs per episode.

Phil L. 03-15-04 11:27 AM

For anyone planning to watch this, just do yourself a favor and buy the DVD's. Has to be one of the best (if not THE best) box sets ever.

MFRONE 03-15-04 01:46 PM

The episdoes did not run over 70 minutes.

immortal1 03-15-04 04:18 PM

I'm looking forward to this. I haven't seen it in a while and its one of my favorite war epics. I like how they are airing it on consecutive nights too.

sven 03-15-04 05:45 PM

Own the DVD's but I'll prolly end up watching anyway since I watch History Channel alot.

RandyC 03-15-04 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Phil L.
For anyone planning to watch this, just do yourself a favor and buy the DVD's. Has to be one of the best (if not THE best) box sets ever.
Exactly. :up:

Are these also going to be edited to be 4:3 on the History Channel?

immortal1 03-17-04 01:56 PM

I don't own the DVD set but if I like enough after watching on the history channel, I might buy it.

RoyalTea 03-17-04 02:19 PM

Originally posted by immortal1
I don't own the DVD set but if I like enough after watching on the history channel, I might buy it.
I'm not a mind reader, but if you like enough, you WILL buy it.

you might want to just go straight to buying the DVD set.

NaturalMystic79 03-17-04 02:33 PM

For those who haven't seen it before, it would probably be a better idea to check out the DVD. If you watch it on TV it will not be anamorphic widescreen, will not be the unedited version, and will not have DTS. I blindly bought the BoB tin and it has been the best purchase in my entire collection thus far.

Fok 03-17-04 05:00 PM

I blindly bought this set as well, no regrets.

RyoHazuki 03-17-04 05:06 PM

Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
For those who haven't seen it before, it would probably be a better idea to check out the DVD. If you watch it on TV it will not be anamorphic widescreen, will not be the unedited version, and will not have DTS. I blindly bought the BoB tin and it has been the best purchase in my entire collection thus far.
I doubt that many of the people who haven't bought the set yet have widescreen tv's and a dts setup.

immortal1 03-19-04 03:58 PM

I have a widescreen but haven't bought the set yet.

Jason 03-20-04 10:50 AM

Originally posted by immortal1
I have a widescreen but haven't bought the set yet.
Me either, although I really need to get this sometime.

And when HBO originally ran BoB, they ran it 4:3 on HBO and 16:9 on HBO Plus at the same time, in DD5.1.

immortal1 03-22-04 01:02 PM

How much is the box set? I remember it being kind of pricey so I would rather watch it again first and then make my decision.

mikehunt 03-22-04 03:04 PM

box set is a bit pricey, although it is 6 discs so price per disc isn't that bad
sound track is awesome

NaturalMystic79 03-22-04 03:08 PM

Box set can be found for $50 brand new with the tin on eBay. That's where I got mine. Go to a B&M and it will be twice as much, so I'd definately hit up eBay.

RandyC 03-22-04 06:50 PM

The box set is a good value for what you get. I would easily trade 10 $10 DVDs for this box set. I found the Making Of feature entertaining and informative.

Watch it on TV or DVD. Just don't miss it.

mikehunt 03-22-04 07:00 PM

can't say for sure how the History channel will broadcast it, but they just had some sort of preview show about it and the clips were widescreen

Tommy Ceez 03-23-04 10:45 AM

IF your cheap, rent disk 1 from Blockbuster or Netflix, THEN DECIDE TO BUY.

I cannot stress enough that this is the greatest thing ever produced for cable or television.

immortal1 03-23-04 02:45 PM

Originally posted by mikehunt
can't say for sure how the History channel will broadcast it, but they just had some sort of preview show about it and the clips were widescreen
I was just checking out the history channel site and I couldn't find out what kind of format it is going to be broadcast in. If I find out I will be sure and post it though.

RyoHazuki 03-23-04 05:26 PM

Originally posted by mikehunt
They also featured some profanity and violence so it might be uncut.

mikehunt 03-23-04 05:49 PM

this is my opinion, but if Schindler's list can be shown in primetime on a sunday on one of the big3 and not be edited, so can Band of Brothers