DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Do we really need a 3rd CSI? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/351584-do-we-really-need-3rd-csi.html)

nemein 03-08-04 11:48 AM

Do we really need a 3rd CSI?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...on_sinise_dc_1

Big Apple 'CSI' Tempting Sinise

By Cynthia Littleton

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Gary Sinise (news) is being courted for the lead role in a new incarnation of "CSI" that CBS is planning for next season.

Sources said the network has had on-again, off-again talks with Sinise during the past few weeks. The prospect of the Emmy-winning actor signing on to star in "CSI: New York" seemed dim a week ago, but the discussions picked up again Thursday and Friday, sources said.

CBS needs to nail down the casting for the show soon because it intends to introduce the "CSI: New York" main characters in this season's second-to-last episode of "CSI: Miami," to air in May. Reps for CBS and Sinise, an Emmy winner for the 1997 TV movie "George Wallace" and an Oscar nominee for 1994's "Forrest Gump," declined comment.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

I guess when you have something that works (debatable wrt Miami IMHO) you got to run it into the ground -ohbfrank-

Jeremy517 03-08-04 11:55 AM

We didn't need a second one either. The original is having a horrible season too, in my opinion. I'm probably jumping ship altogether after this season. Too bad, because I used to really enjoy the show. Oh well.

neiname 03-08-04 11:56 AM

I didn't think we really needed a 2nd CSI thread to talk about it...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...highlight=york

nemein 03-08-04 12:05 PM

DOH! :o I did take a quick look to see if anyone had posted something similar (I don't hang out here that much) and the search engine won't take "CSI".

Red Dog 03-08-04 12:07 PM

Of course not. We don't need a 4th Law & Order either but that is likely coming.

bboisvert 03-08-04 12:09 PM

Re: Do we really need a 3rd CSI?

No.

Red Dog 03-08-04 12:10 PM

Originally posted by juiio
We didn't need a second one either. The original is having a horrible season too, in my opinion. I'm probably jumping ship altogether after this season. Too bad, because I used to really enjoy the show. Oh well.

I agree. Original has really slide this season. I have the first 2 seasons on DVD and I plan on buying the 3rd, but definitely not this season. Miami is okay - I record them but usually the recordings pile up on my Replay until I have nothing else to watch or I just delete them.

BoatDrinks 03-08-04 12:22 PM

With the first 2 CSI's in the Top 10 every week, how can you fault them for putting another one there?

Though, I agree that both shows are losing steam from an originality/creative standpoint, and it will be interesting to see if there's a dropoff in ratings next season.

One of things the CSI shows have going for them, though, is the lack of quality (read: ratings) shows on the major networks.

Look at the top 10 each week and half the shows are reality.

otmetrud 03-08-04 12:40 PM

We don't need a third CSI. But apparently CBS thinks they do.

Roto 03-08-04 01:01 PM

I blame Dateline. My dad burned me out on Cop and Lawyer shows while I was growing up. They all look the same to me now. They gotta do something crazy like the Shield to even get my attention anymore. Giving them all the same name definitely isn't going to get me to watch.

Da Thrilla 03-08-04 05:06 PM

Sound pretty cool...being a fan of Sinise.

Goldberg74 03-08-04 07:10 PM

Ah come on CBS, give Danny DeVito something to do! ;)

mikehunt 03-08-04 10:07 PM

no, although it's better than another "reality" show

Jimmy James 03-09-04 12:29 AM

The networks are going to eventually kill both reality TV and procedurals, and they're going to hate life for a while. I have to believe that we'll see the rise of nighttime soaps and westerns when this happens. Do any of us really want to see that?

nemein 03-09-04 08:06 AM

we'll see the rise of nighttime soaps and westerns when this happens. Do any of us really want to see that?
Nighttime soaps I'll believe (but don't want ;)) but I have a very hard time believing westerns will make a revival.

raven56706 03-09-04 08:19 AM

Actually, CBS are planning another CSI after the New York edition..

CSI: NEVERLAND RANCH

Michael Corvin 03-09-04 09:43 AM

I watched Miami last night for probably the 5th or 6th time. What a horrible show. I don't see the attraction. The plot was lame, dialog was worse. Characters are one dimensional. There is a huge difference in quality between this and the original. And what is with all the Horatio one-liners? I cringed at every one Caruso muttered. They have to make him like Grissom I guess. It is the red-headed step child of a great tv show. If Miami didn't bear the CSI name it would have been cancelled in under 6 weeks.

Personally I would rather see Tom Selleck than Gary Sinise. He is a great actor but I don't see him as a lead.

Geofferson 03-09-04 10:18 AM

I'll be the first to say no, but I know I'll be tuning in.

BoatDrinks 03-09-04 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Jimmy James
The networks are going to eventually kill both reality TV and procedurals,
Why do you think they would kill reality TV?

movielib 03-09-04 11:11 AM

Will they call it CSU (Crime Scene Unit) because that's what it's called in NYC?

I'd much prefer Sinise over Selleck.

Red Dog 03-09-04 11:20 AM

Originally posted by movielib
Will they call it CSU (Crime Scene Unit) because that's what it's called in NYC?

I'd much prefer Sinise over Selleck.

And will they be given far more powers and authority than the real CSU. ;)

I remember the shot that Lennie delivered to one of the CSU guys about doing more than they were supposed in a L&O episode last year - definitely a shot at CSI. :lol:

bboisvert 03-09-04 11:20 AM

Originally posted by BoatDrinks
Why do you think they would kill reality TV?
I don't think that Jimmy James is saying that the networks would INTENTIONALLY kill those types of shows.

He's talking about the dangers of overexposure.

~~ PAL ~~ 03-09-04 12:19 PM

If they do come out with a 3rd CSI, I hope it'll fall flat on its face, regardless of who's starring in it...

movieking 04-08-04 05:53 PM

A great actor added. Unfortunately, to me, he looks a lot like Gary Dourdan (at least he did in The Handler), so that may be a bit distracting.

"The Handler" co-star Hill Harper is the latest edition to the cast of CBS' presumptive new drama hit "CSI: New York." The Brown and Harvard alum leads the latest round of pilot casting news.
Harper, most recently seen as a guest star on "The Sopranos," joins Gary Sinise and Melina Kanakaredes in the latest spinoff from the Jerry Bruckheimer franchise. Harper's other credits include the series "City of Angels" and the features "Beloved" and "The Skulls."

DRG 04-12-04 12:16 PM

Do they have different teams of writers on each show? It just seems to me that eventually they'll run out of ideas on innovative ways to kill people.

New York will be a better settign than Miami, but not as interesting as Vegas. At least they can finally have some winter episodes. :)