DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Did Twin Peaks start America's coffee craze? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/348395-did-twin-peaks-start-americas-coffee-craze.html)

Pants 02-20-04 12:34 PM

Did Twin Peaks start America's coffee craze?

Twin Peaks premiered in 1990 with it's "Damn fine cup of coffe!" and started a brief phenomenon.

Do you think this started America's obsession with coffee that followed shortly after with the expansion of Starbucks?

suziq999 02-20-04 01:12 PM

Starbucks was before that.

1971 Starbucks opens its first location in Seattle's Pike Place Market

1990 Starbucks expands headquarters in Seattle and builds a new roasting plant.

Awarded Horizon Air account.

Starbucks location total = 84

Groucho 02-20-04 01:15 PM

Short answer: No

Long answer: No

Tscott 02-20-04 01:26 PM

Before Twin Peaks, Americans only drank tea and ginger ale- so yes.

I think Twin Peaks also inspired Warrant's Cherry Pie song, the current "pet log" craze, using a bar of soap in a sock as a wife beating device and the "throwing rocks at bottles" trick to solve a crime that is widely used by law enforcement today.

Achtung 02-20-04 01:37 PM

Brilliant! Hee hee hee.... I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

bboisvert 02-20-04 01:41 PM

No.

(And, although I enjoyed it well enough, Twin Peaks wasn't watched by enough people to inflence *anything*, let alone something as large as America's coffee sales.)

RandyC 02-20-04 01:53 PM

Diane.. Damn fine thread.

-Coop

rfduncan 02-20-04 02:09 PM

Didn't Carol Brady have like 20 cups of coffee a day? I think they made fun of that in the Day by Day Brady episode where Florence Henderson says "Ah - there's nothing like that 15th cup of coffee in the morning!"

Jadzia 02-20-04 02:11 PM

Originally posted by Tscott
I think Twin Peaks also inspired Warrant's Cherry Pie song, the current "pet log" craze, using a bar of soap in a sock as a wife beating device and the "throwing rocks at bottles" trick to solve a crime that is widely used by law enforcement today.
rotfl

Shannon Nutt 02-20-04 02:37 PM

No, but Twin Peaks did start America's Creamed Corn craze.

Rico Diablo 02-20-04 02:41 PM

:thumbsup:

"Diane, I've discovered the most amazing hot brown beverage here..."

wendersfan 02-20-04 03:25 PM

"Douglas Firs!"

Pants 02-20-04 04:50 PM

Very funny.

As for Starbucks starting in 1971; well yeah, I know that, but the huge phenomenon of multimillion dollar coffee sales and a Starbucks on every corner really started around 1990-91.

Between the grunge music and clothing scene from Seatle, shows like Twin Peaks and Northern Exposure (filmed in Washington), and the excessive coffee consumption, the early '90s had a lot of "pacific northwest" influence. There was also a small boom of people moving there.

DodgingCars 02-20-04 05:02 PM

I know I started drinking more coffee after 1990. But then, in 1990 I was 13-14 years old.

ChrisHicks 02-20-04 06:19 PM

I blame Dawsons Creek for starting the kids drinking coffee craze.

DodgingCars 02-20-04 08:00 PM

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
I blame Dawsons Creek for starting the kids drinking coffee craze.
I think it was before that. The coffee thing really started picking up speed around 1995 or so. I used to go to coffee shops around 1994-1995 when I was about 18-19. Starbucks hadn't really moved into town yet, and we mostly went to locally-owned shops.

Dawson's Creek started in 1998... the craze had already started.

Alyoshka 02-20-04 09:07 PM

Actually, the coffee craze began two years earlier, in 1988, when Glen Gary Glenross alerted everyone to the fact that coffee is for closers. Everyone wants to be a closer, damnit.

ChrisHicks 02-20-04 09:41 PM

I never saw any 13+ year olds drinking coffee until Dawsons Creek started.

Jadzia 02-20-04 11:25 PM

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
I never saw any 13+ year olds drinking coffee until Dawsons Creek started.
My mom was over the age of 13 and she drank coffee all the time. ;)

clemente 02-20-04 11:47 PM

The fact that Twin Peaks aired around the time Starbucks started mowing down mom and pop coffee shops around the country is purely coincidental.

There were plenty of coffee shops prior to the Starbucks nation, and they were quite popular, they just weren't all owned by the same company.

Cardiff Giant11 02-22-04 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
No, but Twin Peaks did start America's Creamed Corn craze.
rotfl
thank God I finally saw season two and FWWM otherwise that joke would be totally lost on me.

junkie 02-22-04 06:17 PM

It made people eat ham for breakfast...when that ham smacks together with the maple syrup.

Sunday Morning 02-23-04 12:46 AM

twin peaks was all about small town life. Not about the mass consumerism that is starbucks and most of the coffee craze of today.

Twin peaks did raise the bar for television. As well as the hot chick quota for nightime drama.

Pants 02-23-04 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
twin peaks was all about small town life. Not about the mass consumerism that is starbucks and most of the coffee craze of today.
Listen to the interview on the DVD with the owner of the real Double R and the cult reaction that followed the shows success. Talk about audiences completly missing the point...

Pants 02-23-04 08:03 PM

Originally posted by Alyoshka
Actually, the coffee craze began two years earlier, in 1988, when Glen Gary Glenross alerted everyone to the fact that coffee is for closers. Everyone wants to be a closer, damnit.
Glen Gary Glenross = 1992

I think we're on to something.