Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SNL (2/14): Drew Barrymore and Kelis (The 'Milkshake' song)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-04, 09:36 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

All I have to say is that Finesse Mitchell better hide tonight... or do his impersonation again!

Old 02-14-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
After seeing 50 First Dates, I'll tune in to see if Ms. Barrymore can entertain live.
Old 02-14-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Why in the world they don't fire Rachel Dratch is beyond me, she is bar none the most annoying player on the show.
Drew did a decent monologue IMO, I hope she keeps it up for the rest of the night.
The current skit is lame, like that's anything surprising.
Old 02-14-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
aggreed!

all tho the di$ney skit on mad tv was pretty good
Old 02-14-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
monologue:
E.T. I got, the poltergeist thing I got, because I haven't seen it in a long time and did think she was the little girl in that.
but star wars?

edit: just checked IMDB, looks like the little girl died at 13, couldn't have been too long after poltergeist 3 was made

Last edited by mikehunt; 02-14-04 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-14-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Jarrett's Room skits are always hilarious, same goes here.
Old 02-14-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Has music really gotten this bad?
Old 02-14-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this song is horrible.
Old 02-14-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
ok, first off, its horrible. Secondly, its the same lyric over and over. How is this popular? Has our youth really that brainwashed? Makes me sad.
Old 02-14-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Weekend Update was good. Too short. And Maya Rudolphs bit was pointless. I really don't like her at all. Her Vercochee skits are just terrible, I don't know who finds these funny.

On a somewhat related note... 2 Clinton jokes in one WU. It never get's old
Old 02-14-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty lame to sing about ice cream when it's freekin
cold in most of the country. I could certainly go for some hot chocolate!
Old 02-14-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
SNL needs to go back to getting actual muscians

the 1968 bar skit is great. best skit in a very long time
Old 02-14-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"you like to eat biscuits don't you larry?"

in whisper...

"biscuit"

Old 02-14-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like Maya, but not her verochee skits. I mute them, or if I've taped it and am watching it later I fast forward during those
and during most "musical" guests

Originally posted by MasterCXtreme
Weekend Update was good. Too short. And Maya Rudolphs bit was pointless. I really don't like her at all. Her Vercochee skits are just terrible, I don't know who finds these funny.

On a somewhat related note... 2 Clinton jokes in one WU. It never get's old
Old 02-14-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Prince Show was friggin' hilarious! They need to bring that one back. And the Poltergeist reference cracked me up. White Stripes skit kinda sucked, and the invisible mic? Lamest thing I've seen in a long long time.
Old 02-14-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by MasterCXtreme
The Jarrett's Room skits are always hilarious, same goes here.
"Free Connie Chong!"
Old 02-15-04, 12:49 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What in the world is that "I have no microphone" skits? It's even worst than the original crap that Leno put out each and every night.
Old 02-15-04, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have to go on this episode. Drew was a decent host, very energetic, but she always seems so affected. No really good sketches, either.

Al Gore
Gore (Hammond) tries to get Kerry (Myers) to accept his support for Kerry’s candidacy. Not bad.

Monologue
I was hoping for an E.T. gag, and here it was. Then, out came C3P0, and Darth Vader, and Tangina. Funny visual, but that was about it.

Versace Valentine
Donatella! Yay! Elton was there, and Madonna stopped by. Drew was good as Courtney Love.

Jarret’s Room
Ugh. I’ve never cared for this bit, and it just dragged on and on, and even had a dream sequence

Access Hollywood
Drew as Charlize Theron

WU
Nothing great here, and the Diana Ross interview just flopped. Finesse Mitchell’s one appearance of the night as Ross’ masculine cellmate.

Kerry, Bush, and Clinton meet in 1968
Very clever bit, but what’s with all the Clinton jokes? Weren’t they played out five years ago? I would like to have seen this skit go on longer.

Larry King Live
Drew as Anna Nicole Smith. Not much of an impression, but okay.

Spy Glass on BBC
Entertainment anchors and bad puns.

The World of Scott Wainio
WTF? Yes, yes, yes, America is stupid. Ha ha. I need to see another one of these unfunny man-on-the-street gags like I need a piranha in my shorts. His first (and hopefully LAST) appearance on SNL and this was the best he could come up with? Pretending to hold a mike and letting people talk into his fist? Ah, shit.

White Stripes
Maybe this would’ve been funnier if I had any idea who the White Stripes are. They were mentioned on Joan of Arcadia this week too.

Prince talk show
Feh. Drew as Pink and the Good Burger moron as George Clinton.

Next week:
Christina Aguilera as host.

So far this season, 7 for 12:
Jack Black
Justin Timberlake
Halle Berry
Kelly Ripa
Andy Roddick
Alec Baldwin
Al Sharpton
Elijah Wood
Jennifer Aniston
Jessica Simpson & Nick Lachey
Megan Mullally Best show of the season.
Drew Barrymore

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 02-15-04 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-15-04, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think that I laughed once. Didn't even crack a smile.
Old 02-15-04, 09:34 AM

I remember when this show began in mid-70s. It seemed that every episode and every skit were just fantastic. And it stayed that way for many years. But this current generations' writers and performers are just so talentless and uninteresting and have virtually nothing to say. Like in almost every area of popular entertainment, the current generation has completely dropped the ball and f***ed it up in a big way. And don't even get me started on the state of what passes for a music industry!

Just take the state of tv/film/music from the 1960s, 70s, 80s and some of the 90s. Then lay it all down next to mid-90s-current, and what you have is one of the biggest deflations of quality that I could not even imagine could be possible.

Question is: If all these previous generations were able to supply classic television, films and music, why can't this current generation? Sure, there are some exceptions to the rule, but I'm talking about the overall picture.
Old 02-15-04, 09:46 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
From WU:

"In today's strip, Cathy got engaged to her long-time boyfriend... in other news Peppermint Patty and Marcie moved to Massachucettes."

Old 02-15-04, 10:17 AM

Folks, this was easily the best ep of the season. Everything clicked! Maybe a bit heavy on the celebrity impressions this week, but man, Jimmy Fallon can really bring it when he's not laughing. His Larry King, Pat O'Brian and Jack White were ajust great.

I think Drew usually has a strong showing when she hosts. You can really tell when they have a game host who's really into what they do. (unlike, say, Halle Berry) Her Access Hollywood sketch was just great. This season's been real hit and miss, but this was just terrific.
Old 02-15-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i only watched the update and the 68 sketch...both weren't terrible..at least compared to what else has been on this season
Old 02-15-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by pezboy
Folks, this was easily the best ep of the season. Everything clicked! Maybe a bit heavy on the celebrity impressions this week, but man, Jimmy Fallon can really bring it when he's not laughing. His Larry King, Pat O'Brian and Jack White were ajust great.

I think Drew usually has a strong showing when she hosts. You can really tell when they have a game host who's really into what they do. (unlike, say, Halle Berry) Her Access Hollywood sketch was just great. This season's been real hit and miss, but this was just terrific.

don't know if we saw the same broadcast, but I nodded off during WU. I like Drew, but she wasn't bringing it tonite. And Kelis...well...nevermind.

I will cop to one out loud chuckle...when Drew came smashing through Donatella's window. Other than that...

::shrugs::
Old 02-15-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally posted by Tarnower
Question is: If all these previous generations were able to supply classic television, films and music, why can't this current generation? Sure, there are some exceptions to the rule, but I'm talking about the overall picture.
There is plenty of quality television, films and music out there right now. I'd just say that SNL is pretty tired.

People remember the past fondly, but seem to forget all the stuff that sucked.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.