BAD news about NYPD Blue... [also, news about Line Of Fire]

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'NYPD Blue' to Return for One Last Season

LOS ANGELES (AP) - "NYPD Blue'' will be on the job for one more season, its 12th, and then take retirement, ABC announced Monday.

But executive producer Steven Bochco, while saying he would approach next season as the last, hinted at hopes that the police drama might stay on the case.

"Should we do brilliantly, and circumstances change, we would be delighted to revisit the possibility of life beyond 12 seasons,'' he said in a statement. "However, to go out after 12 strong years is great, as it's better to go out too early rather than overstay our welcome.''

Dennis Franz, who stars as tough New York police Detective Andy Sipowicz, and the ensemble cast including Mark-Paul Gosselaar and Esai Morales will be part of the last season, ABC said.

In 1994, the show set an Emmy nominations record with 26 bids. It was named best drama series the following year.

"NYPD Blue'' returns Tuesday night (10 p.m. EST) after an extended break in which its spot was occupied by the new crime drama "Line of Fire.''

Four more episodes of "Line of Fire,'' which debuted Dec. 2, remain to be aired, ABC said. A decision about its future has yet to be made.
This was mentioned as part of another thread, but it deserves its own..
Old 02-09-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
MrX beat you to it about seven hours ago, though not in it's own thread.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=346114
Old 02-09-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yeah, but as I added in the postscript I think it should have its own thread. [Not discounting Charlie's laments about losing shows, of course...]
Old 02-09-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Rogue588
Yeah, but as I added in the postscript I think it should have its own thread. [Not discounting Charlie's laments about losing shows, of course...]
I didn't see your postscript - sorry about that!

On topic - I'm sad to see it go, but it's time is passed if you really think about it. It was the grittiest cop drama for years, but it has been surpassed by several shows the last few years, particularly on the cable networks.
Old 02-09-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
12 years is a hell of a run. I hardly consider this bad news, more like sad news to me. I hope they don't kill Sipowitz off in the last episode.
Old 02-09-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by madcougar
I hope they don't kill Sipowitz off in the last episode.
That would be the suck.
Old 02-10-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I loved the show from the very first episode. When David Caruso left, I was not happy to hear about Jimmy Smits joining the cast. After a few episodes, I took to him and eventually liked the character of Simone a lot more than Kelly. Then when Smits left, I was not happy to hear about Ricky Schroeder joing the cast. I still watched the show, but never really liked Sorenson. Then when Schroeder left, I was AGAIN not happy to hear that Mark Paul Gosselaar was joing the cast. I was happy to see that it wasn't Zack, but a very good character in Clark. I don't believe I've ever missed an episode, and will be sad to see it go. Especially before the fey kid from "Who's the Boss?" had a chance to sign on as a new detective.
Shee-it, they'd better not kill off Sipowicz. That would be an insult to loyal viewers.
Old 02-10-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought Esai was leaving?
Old 02-10-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
He did, tonight they get a new Lt in the Squad.

They better not kill Andy or anymore of his family, but I bet they will.
Old 02-10-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Cusm

Esai will not be leaving until the March 2 episode.
Old 02-10-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
I thought
Spoiler:
Esai
was leaving?
Ever hear of spoiler tags Kal?
Old 02-10-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by Cusm
SPOILER TAGS can't !)@(#* hurt...
Old 04-27-04, 01:42 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Didn't see this posted yet

from www.tvguide.com
ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT: NYPD Blue creator Steven Bochco is threatening to pull the plug on the long-running cop drama at season's end if ABC doesn't stop censoring the show's racy content. Although the network renewed Blue for a 12th and final season, Bochco tells The Hollywood Reporter that "this will be NYPD Blue's last year" if the crackdown does not let up. "If we have to keep reining ourselves in like this," he says, "it just wouldn't be worth continuing to do the show." Bochco claims that in the two months following Boobygate, ABC forced him to alter or eliminate visuals in four sex scenes and "dial back some of our language."
Old 04-27-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

While it would suck to see it go suddenly - good to see Bochco stick to his guns.
Old 04-27-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk God

I read about Bochco's threat this morning, and I love it. ABC may not have much choice but to cede to his demands because they are pretty lacking in dependable scripted series right now, particularly on the drama side.

Here is a more detailed article about it:

Crackdown has Bochco in 'Blue' mood
Elements of show being toned down

Tuesday, April 27, 2004 Posted: 1:25 PM EDT (1725 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- A couple of seasons ago on "NYPD Blue" -- one of the few stable shows residing in the ABC universe -- the network's recently ousted entertainment chief, Susan Lyne, urged producers to try a little experiment.

"Susan wanted us to start using the word 'bulls---' in our episodes," Steven Bochco, the show's creator and executive producer, recalled in a recent interview.

"And so we did -- not gratuitously, but in character. We received not a single phone call. Not one little peep. No letters of protest. Nothing. Zero.

"I thought, what a nice sign that is, that a 10 o'clock drama can occasionally access some of the casual profanity that's absolutely familiar to anyone over the age of 7."

It was yet another content victory for a series that had written the book on controversy, that had famously stood down the watchdog groups and affiliate rejection to survive its first season in 1993-94 and, more than a decade later, outlive virtually all of its critics.

But as "NYPD Blue" rolls to the end of its 11th and penultimate season, the gritty cop drama has found a foe that it can't compete with in the federal government.

The so-called indecency crackdown has hit "NYPD Blue" hard, Bochco explains. At ABC's insistence, the show has been forced over the past two months to alter or eliminate visuals in four sex scenes. "We've also had to dial back some of our language issues," he says.

New reality

Bochco relates these facts with more sadness and resignation than outrage, like a man who cannot believe he's still fighting the same battles nearly 25 years after bringing "Hill Street Blues" to NBC. He's philosophical about it -- but not at all pleased.

"We unfortunately live in a time where we no longer have broadcasting philosophies," Bochco believes. "We have divisions of giant companies who do staggering amounts of business with the government. Because of their size and responsibility to shareholders, they're prepared to accommodate anything rather than take on the government in ways that could cost money and damage their relationship with advertisers."

That's the new reality. And what upsets Bochco perhaps more than anything isn't the fact his show has to relinquish hard-won freedoms and water down his product 11 years in; it's that he's the victim of what he sees as mere political jockeying.

"I'd bet my house that the overwhelming majority of politicians banging this drum haven't watched us or anyone else who's being scaled back," he says. "In typical lemming fashion, it's just, 'Oh boy, here's an opportunity to get some ink, to get my face out there in an election year.' They get to take easy shots at a slow-moving target."

Bochco suspects that the "self-appointed cultural arbiters" will move on to new issues and the crackdown will dissolve after November.

"Every election cycle, this issue rears its head," he says. "But right now, it's as scary as it's ever been."

Even though "NYPD Blue" was recently renewed for a 12th and final season, Bochco warned "this will be 'NYPD Blue's' last year" if the crackdown does not let up.

"If we have to keep reining ourselves in like this, it just wouldn't be worth continuing to do the show."

Bochco perhaps states the obvious when he maintains that you couldn't put an "NYPD Blue" on the air today. "Not a chance," he believes.
Old 04-27-04, 02:01 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

I agree.

I'll be sad to see it go, even moreso after how good it has been this year, but to Bochco.

ABC is screwed if he pulls the plug. Alias is their only other hour long drama coming back next year so they'll have to depend on all new shows next season, and they haven't created a winner in a while.
Old 04-27-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure how much leverage they have, but to Bochco for standing up anyway. This bullshit is out of ****ing control.

das
Old 04-27-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

One the one hand, I agree with das and think this censorship shit is outta control.

On the other hand, it did spare us Medavoy's naked ass...
Old 04-27-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I stopped watching the show after they killed Smits character...just couldn't get into it, and it started to feel like "tragedy of the week for Sipowicz" I am sure its probably changed, but thats when I turned it off.
Old 04-27-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by chanster
I stopped watching the show after they killed Smits character...just couldn't get into it, and it started to feel like "tragedy of the week for Sipowicz" I am sure its probably changed, but thats when I turned it off.

Completely different for me. I didn't care much for Diane (Kim Delaney) and I stopped watching around the time Andrea Thompson joined the cast, so I did not watch the last couple Smits years and none of the Ricky Schroeder years - found the plots to be very repetitive. Then I gave it a shot again when Delaney left (and I liked her a whole lot more on Philly, a show that ABC inexplicably cut) and Gossellar and Obradors came in. I really like dynamic of the current cast (when I say current, I included Esai Morales and Charlotte Ross). It has been one of my favorite programs the last 2-3 years.
Old 04-27-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I actually tuned in when the Rick Schroeder came in. I liked the character, but he had too many demons and it didn't work too well with both his and Franz's characters being both morose. Loved Charlotte Ross and I think the current cast is excellent as well especially junior.
Old 04-27-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
wow. kudos to Bochco. F the FCC and ABC. Other than Alias, My Wife and Kids, and George Lopez, what does ABC have? Let them put the nails in their own coffin. I do think they will have a surefire hit in the Practice spinoff.

Just goes to show, the trail leads back to Michael Eisner.
Old 04-27-04, 10:37 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I do think they will have a surefire hit in the Practice spinoff.
I wouldn't count on that.

The spinoff is basically what the show is now and it's finished last in that slot since Crossing Jordan came back.
Old 04-28-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
One the one hand, I agree with das and think this censorship shit is outta control.
Don't blame me, I voted for Gore.