DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Super Millionaire with Regis coming for February Sweeps (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/343778-super-millionaire-regis-coming-february-sweeps.html)

bigjim25 01-27-04 11:12 PM

Monday, January 26, 2004 - 8:41 AM ABC Revives 'Millionaire' for February Sweeps
From thefutoncritic.com -- ABC is resurrecting its once white-hot "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" franchise for February sweeps, as the network announced over the weekend a special week-long event entitled "Super Millionaire."

"Super Millionaire" will kick off on Sunday, February 22 at 9:00/8:00c with subsequent installments on Monday, February 23; Tuesday, February 24; Thursday, February 26; and Friday, February 27 (all at 10:00/9:00c). Here's how ABC describes the event (via press release):

As with the original, primetime version, contestants from across the country will attempt to navigate 15 multiple-choice questions for cash, but this time the stakes are higher…much higher. The dollar value of the easiest question starts at $1,000, and quickly escalates from there, with the final question worth $10,000,000. In addition to the 3 lifelines so familiar to millions of Americans, "Super Millionaire" will add new lifelines at a certain level of the game. At that point, the game will "morph" into a new dimension, and the stakes and tension will be at levels never seen before on network television. Regis Philbin will host and Michael Davies will executive produce. Celador, the UK company which created "Who Wants to be a Millionaire," has overseen the development of the new format. Paul Smith, managing director of Celador Productions, will continue to executive produce alongside Mr. Davies, for Diplomatic Television.

"For months, we have been carefully monitoring the environment to determine if the time is right for a new, totally amped up version of Millionaire – broadcast in its original, event-like form," ABC topper Lloyd Braun said in the release. "We think this is the time."

Executive producer Michael Davies added, "Celador's Millionaire is perhaps the greatest game show format ever devised - a global phenomenon, beloved by its fans, it has been an enormous hit all over the world. In the US, Regis Philbin made this the most successful prime time game show of all time, and now, Meredith Vieira hosts a fantastically successful, five day a week version of the game. With its new lifelines, music, graphics and zeros, "Super Millionaire" will take the format to a whole new level. We are currently gearing up for the tremendous demand we expect from regular Americans wanting their chance at the $10 million top prize. And Regis is back - let's call this installment, The Return Of The King."

ClarkKentKY 01-28-04 12:06 AM

"the game will "morph" into a new dimension"
Who wrote that crap??

Yawn They'll still just go home with $32,000

Joeboo835 01-28-04 06:39 AM

Ya, if it was like a tournament, it'd be worth watching. But the simple fact is, they'll make the questions impossible to win that 10 million.

"For $10 million, Who was the first man to crack open an acorn?"

Red Dog 01-28-04 08:22 AM

I'll definitely check some of it out.

briank 01-28-04 08:54 AM

and if the final question is $10,000,000 that probably means the next to last is atleast $2-5 million.

I can't imagine anyone risking it to "go for the $10million".

Red Dog 01-28-04 09:09 AM

Originally posted by briank
and if the final question is $10,000,000 that probably means the next to last is atleast $2-5 million.

I can't imagine anyone risking it to "go for the $10million".

You don't have to risk anything. You always get to hear the question first before you decide to answer or not.

bralph 01-28-04 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Joeboo835
Ya, if it was like a tournament, it'd be worth watching. But the simple fact is, they'll make the questions impossible to win that 10 million.

Jimmy was, not that anyone really cares...

Bacon 01-30-04 04:18 AM

Originally posted by Joeboo835
rotfl

mookiemeister 01-30-04 01:56 PM

It will be interesting to see if anyone gets to the $10 million question. And if they will risk it all to answer the $10 million question. I'll be there watching the show.

lwhy? 01-30-04 02:54 PM

Anyone know how to get on this show? Is there a number where you can apply? I want to try to get on.

Tracer Bullet 01-30-04 11:53 PM

Originally posted by lwhy?
Anyone know how to get on this show? Is there a number where you can apply? I want to try to get on.
Should be on the ABC website. It says they're going to post application info soon.

Edit: 100th post. Woo!

Eric F 01-31-04 09:21 AM

They've worn this show out years ago. Showing it 3-5 times a week was a dumb idea.

The daily syndicated version sucks. No speed round, they're just handing out the dough. Although the questions are alot harder in the lower prize range now. They really make no sense- they can ask you this incredibly obscure pop culture question for 1,000 then ask you a simple geography question for the next one.

jay77a 01-31-04 01:52 PM

This was a fun show before it was overexposed. I bet it will be entertaining to watch again after such a long break

BizRodian 01-31-04 03:58 PM

Millionaire is very enjoyable in very small doses. I got hooked on it for two weeks last year again, but quickly grew very very tired of it yet again.

Tafellappen 01-31-04 04:52 PM

I think this show sorely needs a battle to the death element to it. Anyone agree?

briank 01-31-04 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
You don't have to risk anything. You always get to hear the question first before you decide to answer or not.
wow, it's been that long since I watched the show!!!

Maybe I was confusing it with GREED (didn't the "leader" have to decide to risk it BEFORE the question on that show?).

Tracer Bullet 01-31-04 09:25 PM

Originally posted by Sean Cullen
I think this show sorely needs a battle to the death element to it. Anyone agree?
Yes! If a contestant gives up, Regis calls them a p**** and breaks out the brass knuckles.

Ratings go up.

funstan 02-16-04 04:26 PM

Auditions start today at 7 PM eastern time. The number is 800-999-7878.

Red Dog 02-16-04 07:42 PM

Originally posted by briank

Maybe I was confusing it with GREED (didn't the "leader" have to decide to risk it BEFORE the question on that show?).

Yes.