Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

ALIAS on only once in February- (2/15)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-27-04, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know Alias is never the ratings grabber , but this doesn't show much faith in a show that ABC used for a post Super Bowl slot last year.

Here is the futon critic.com sweeps schedule

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...wswire&id=6390
Old 01-27-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that sucks
Old 01-27-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What shows will they put in the Alias slots in February?
Old 01-27-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
repeats or crappy movies
Old 01-27-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
wow.
Old 01-27-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

oscars, millionair special , alias, and movie
Old 01-28-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Karen Sisco.
Old 01-28-04, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sometimes I think ABC is really behind this show and other times I think they are trying to kill it.
Old 01-28-04, 07:36 AM
Admin Emeritus

I can see the March promos now... "Remember that show Alias? If you thought it was cancelled, think again! Watch an all-new Alias this Sunday at 9 PM EST, even though you've forgotten everything that's happened, since you've only seen two episodes in about a month-and-a-half."

And then the "Previously on Alias" pre-credits bit will be about ten minutes long to remind us about what the hell has been happening.
Old 01-28-04, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Rat Bastards!!!
Old 01-28-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn, only 2 new shows in what seems like the last 7 weeks. I suppose its the Super Bowl as well as maybe the Oscars?
Old 01-28-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jericho
I suppose its the Super Bowl as well as maybe the Oscars?
Well, that definitely plays a part. But February is also sweeps month. It is never a good sign when a network pulls a show during sweeps.

I fear for the future of this show. Maybe they need to switch to a new night? After 3 years, I think it's clear that it will not do well Sundays at 9.
Old 01-28-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bboisvert
Well, that definitely plays a part. But February is also sweeps month. It is never a good sign when a network pulls a show during sweeps.

I fear for the future of this show. Maybe they need to switch to a new night? After 3 years, I think it's clear that it will not do well Sundays at 9.
I don't think there is need for worry at all. If anything, this huge break is an opportunity to run crucial repeats of season 3 episodes which lets folks who brought or rented season 2 on DVD a chance to, catch up. Additionally, with only 22 episodes per season, the show has to be repeated/off for a certain amount of time to end in May. This happens with 24 all the time (FOX never reruns that show)!

If anything I would wager that ratings for a show like Alias wouldn't matter much. I mean it is a continuing storyline so it's fan base is what it is. Probably very few people just decide to tune in to it on certain weeks and not others. So what would "sweeps ratings" do or prove for that show?

Last edited by rfduncan; 01-28-04 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-28-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rfduncan
I don't think there is need for worry at all. If anything, this huge break is an opportunity to run crucial repeats of season 3 episodes which lets folks who brought or rented season 2 on DVD a chance to, catch up.

If anything I would wager that ratings for a show like Alias wouldn't matter much. I mean it is a continuing storyline so it's fan base is what it is. Probably very few people just decide to tune in to it on certain weeks and not others. So what would "sweeps ratings" do or prove for that show?
1. But they aren't running 'crucial repeats'. They aren't showing it at all, except for a single new episode.

2. I don't think that "sweeps ratings" would prove much. But I do think that the fact the network is not showing the program during a sweeps period indicates that it's days may be numbered. During sweeps, you obviously want to show your strongest material. Not showing Alias certainly can't be viewed as a vote of confidence.

Or, to put it another way, I have trouble seeing a meeting of the head honchos at ABC where they say "Alias has consistently placed 3rd or 4th in its timeslot over the past 3 years. We did not feel it had enough ratings to gamble on it during sweeps month. So -- hey -- bring on Season 4!"
Old 01-28-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think as long as Jennifer Garner works in high profile Hollywood movies, ABC will keep Alias around. Even if it doesn't do huge numbers, having an A list Hollywood star on your network every week is a valuable asset.
Old 01-28-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, not to mention Alias' numbers are not that bad for an ABC show. And I'd wager it does pretty well in 18-49 year olds. Also one of the few ABC shows to garner any Golden Globe/Emmy attention. And you have Jennifer Garner.

I don't think it will be canceled, although it's not exactly a sure thing either.
Old 01-28-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Alias is in no danger. Let's face it, as much as we'd like the show to be a more sercure ratings grabber, the show's ratings can't compare to (1) the Superbowl and (2) the Academy Awards. That leaves two available Sunday nights, so we at least get one night.

Besides, that means I can watch Curb Your Enthusiasm Sunday nights and not have to wait for Black Betty.
Old 01-28-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe if abc/disney pushed it a bit harder (there are hardly any ads for this show) and released season 3 before season 4 starts, then maybe the ratings would go up.
Old 01-28-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Rypro 525
maybe if abc/disney pushed it a bit harder (there are hardly any ads for this show) and released season 3 before season 4 starts, then maybe the ratings would go up.
I can't believe i'm going to be defending a NETWORK...but, in ABC's defense, up until last week's new ep, they have promoted the hell out of this show.
Old 01-28-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
I posted this in an earlier thread. A spoiler about casting for an upcoming episode.

Spoiler:
"Alias"
Zap2It confirms that Quentin Tarantino will reprise his role of McKenas Cole in the episode "After Six" on February 14th. QT previously guest-starred as former SD-6 agent turned rogue Cole in the first season two-parter "The Box" and his voice was heard in last week's "Full Disclosure". His return for 'Six' however is more of a cameo than a major role like his 'Box' work.
Old 01-29-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Alias is in no danger. Let's face it, as much as we'd like the show to be a more sercure ratings grabber, the show's ratings can't compare to (1) the Superbowl and (2) the Academy Awards. That leaves two available Sunday nights, so we at least get one night.
AND ABC is broadcasting the Oscars...

Additionally in the TiVo thread, this show was in the top ten recorded shows (the only one ABC snagged). ABC would be foolish to think they could do better overall with a different show in this spot. Now if it were FOX...
Old 01-29-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
So is Feb. 15th the next new Alias episode?