Synopsis of several new TV shows next season

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Synopsis of several new TV shows next season

stolen from www.darkhorizons.com

ABC
"Lost" - Drama which follows a group of people stuck on a Pacific island and are forced to build a new society after surviving a plane crash. From J.J. Abrams ("Alias") and Damon Lindelof ("Crossing Jordan").

"The Middleman" - Oscar-winning writer Chris McQuarrie ("The Usual Suspects") is behind this new drama about a man who straddles the line between good and evil. Its described as a 21st century take on "The Equalizer" in which the lead is viewed as a crook by the cops and a cop by the crooks

"43 Minutes" - Drama following a SWAT team. Each episode would play out in real time over the final 43 minutes of a crisis situation. From Graham ("Boomtown") and Christopher Yost.

"Desperate Housewives" - Darkly comic and offbeat soap that opens with the show's narrator, a female resident of a neighborhood cul-de-sac, committing suicide. She then tells the story of the amoral, insidious and incredibly secretive lives of the inhabitants (as well as her own dark secret) from beyond the grave.

"111 Gramercy Street" - An "Upstairs, Downstairs" style theme. The new version focuses on three nannies and their employers in an upscale New York apartment building. From Sally Robinson (HBO's "Iron Jawed Angels").

CBS

"C.S.I. New York" - "New York" will focus on the lives of two main characters, a man and a woman who work together as investigators, instead of a large ensemble cast. The two yet-to-be cast characters will be featured on this season's second-to-last episode of "C.S.I.: Miami," set to air in May, in which investigators from "Miami" will be called to New York to investigate a murder involving a Miami resident.

"Numbers" - From Ridley and Tony Scott's Scott Free Productions. About an MIT mathematician who's enlisted by the F.B.I. to help solve crimes.

"Untitled Terri Hughes Project" - Drama which revolves around a bounty hunter and his two sons, who join the family business.

NBC

"HUB" - A quirky drama set at Los Angeles International Airport

"Pearl City" - The ensemble drama tracks a group of detectives in Oahu, Hawaii. Jon Avnet ("Boomtown") is on board to direct the pilot, which received a production greenlight this week. Jeff Eastin ("Rush Hour 3") is writing and executive producing.

"Medium" - Based on the true story of Allison DuBois, a research medium and criminal profiler, and revolves around her struggles to balances her psychic abilities with being a wife and mother. Glenn Gordon Caron's ("Now & Again") drama at the Peacock has a title and a greenlight to produce a pilot

"Revelations" - Six-hour limited series which focuses on the final showdown between God and Satan as foretold in the Bible's book of Revelations. David Seltzer ("The Omen") and Gavin Polone ("Curb Your Enthusiasm") are the executive produces of the project

FOX

"The Big Island" - Drama which tracks a group of twentysomething employees who work at a luxury hotel on Hawaii's Big Island. From Peter Elkoff's ("Mr. Beautiful").

"Ricochet" - Takes a "Memento"-like backward approach to storytelling as each episode starts out with the climax, with the rest of the show retracing the steps that led to said moment. Rene Echevarria ("Star Trek: The Next Generation") and Jeff Kline ("That Was Then") are the executive producers of the project

"Hollywood Division" - Drama which revolves around young undercover detectives who infiltrate a Hollywood high school posing as students (a la "21 Jump Street") to investigate things like a drug trafficking ring. Barry Schindel ("Law & Order") and Rob Port ("10-8") are behind the project.

WB & UPN

"Dark Shadows" - By "ER" and "The West Wing" producer John Wells, based on the old vampire soap opera from the 60's.

"Nikki & Nora" - About two female private eyes. (OR) About two lesbian private detectives based in New Orleans. Written by Leonard Dick ("Hack," "Fastlane").

"Veronica Mars" - About a teenager who helps out at her dad's agency. (OR) Drama about a spoiled teen girl who reunites with her estranged, down-on-his-luck father and ends up helping with his detective agency. From writer-producer Rob Thomas ("Cupid") and Joel Silver.

"Beck & Call" - Follows the lives of three personal assistants living in New York. (OR) A drama set in the New York fashion world, as seen through the personal lives of the industry's executives and assistants. Dan Bucatinsky ("All Over the Guy") wrote the pilot

"Fly Girls" - Focuses on the star of a sci-fi series who somehow becomes endowed with real super powers

Other

"Lilac Lane" - Drama series from famed playwright/director Neil LaBute ("In the Company of Men," "Possession"). LaBute is expected to write, produce and direct each installment of the series, which tracks a young male college professor who finds himself disgraced and unemployed after having an affair with a co-ed with things getting even darker when the woman he slept with turns up missing

"Frankenstein" - The series is expected to take place in present-day Seattle with both Dr. Frankenstein and his monster surviving the past two centuries thanks to genetic engineering on both subjects. The two are then discovered by a female cop and her partner through a routine homicide investigation. Over the course of the pilot, Frankenstein's monster joins forces with the cops and will combat Dr. Frankenstein and his other creations in successive weeks. From Martin Scorsese and author Dean Koontz.

"The Enforcers" - ames Ellroy ("L.A. Confidential") has signed on with Kerry McCluggage's Craftsman Films to develop a new L.A.-based cop series.
Old 01-26-04, 08:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Actually, a lot of those sound pretty good. I'm glad that Graham Yost is bouncing back from "Boomtown" so quickly, but how long before "43 Minutes" abandons it's premise?
Old 01-26-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Grouch094820 & 5/17
Actually, a lot of those sound pretty good. I'm glad that Graham Yost is bouncing back from "Boomtown" so quickly, but how long before "43 Minutes" abandons it's premise?
That show is the only one on the list that looks promising to me simply because of Yost.
Old 01-26-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, the same one caught my eye with the premise and the team behind it.
Old 01-26-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Grouch094820 & 5/17
I'm glad that Graham Yost is bouncing back from "Boomtown" so quickly, but how long before "43 Minutes" abandons it's premise?
Or, more accurately stated, how quickly the network forces "43 minutes" to abandon its' premise.
Old 01-26-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Synopsis of several new TV shows next season

Originally posted by Deftones

"Lost" - Drama which follows a group of people stuck on a Pacific island and are forced to build a new society after surviving a plane crash. From J.J. Abrams ("Alias") and Damon Lindelof ("Crossing Jordan").
Sounds a bit familiar. "Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip..."

"The Middleman" seems promising, although I hope it won't be too watered down.
Old 01-26-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Holy crap, another Dark Shadows series?!? Woo hoo!
Old 01-26-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
43 Minutes sound good, but I wonder how much new material they can come up with over the long haul.

I'll probably also give Lost, Numbers, and Ricochet a shot.
Old 01-26-04, 06:18 PM

A bunch of those series sounds interesting. Can't wait.
Old 01-26-04, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a bunch of shows that prob. won't make it past 13 eps. with the exception of C.S.I.:NY.
Old 01-26-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has the potential to be good:

"Desperate Housewives" - Darkly comic and offbeat soap that opens with the show's narrator, a female resident of a neighborhood cul-de-sac, committing suicide. She then tells the story of the amoral, insidious and incredibly secretive lives of the inhabitants (as well as her own dark secret) from beyond the grave.

"HUB" - A quirky drama set at Los Angeles International Airport

"Lilac Lane" - Drama series from famed playwright/director Neil LaBute ("In the Company of Men," "Possession"). LaBute is expected to write, produce and direct each installment of the series, which tracks a young male college professor who finds himself disgraced and unemployed after having an affair with a co-ed with things getting even darker when the woman he slept with turns up missing

"Dark Shadows" - By "ER" and "The West Wing" producer John Wells, based on the old vampire soap opera from the 60's.

Meh:

"111 Gramercy Street" - An "Upstairs, Downstairs" style theme. The new version focuses on three nannies and their employers in an upscale New York apartment building. From Sally Robinson (HBO's "Iron Jawed Angels").

"Revelations" - Six-hour limited series which focuses on the final showdown between God and Satan as foretold in the Bible's book of Revelations. David Seltzer ("The Omen") and Gavin Polone ("Curb Your Enthusiasm") are the executive produces of the project [This sounds like it'll be another Left Behind. At least get the name of the book your adapting right, guys.]

"The Big Island" - Drama which tracks a group of twentysomething employees who work at a luxury hotel on Hawaii's Big Island. From Peter Elkoff's ("Mr. Beautiful").

For the love of god, enough with the cop shows, already:

"The Middleman" - Oscar-winning writer Chris McQuarrie ("The Usual Suspects") is behind this new drama about a man who straddles the line between good and evil. Its described as a 21st century take on "The Equalizer" in which the lead is viewed as a crook by the cops and a cop by the crooks

"43 Minutes" - Drama following a SWAT team. Each episode would play out in real time over the final 43 minutes of a crisis situation. From Graham ("Boomtown") and Christopher Yost.

"C.S.I. New York" - "New York" will focus on the lives of two main characters, a man and a woman who work together as investigators, instead of a large ensemble cast. The two yet-to-be cast characters will be featured on this season's second-to-last episode of "C.S.I.: Miami," set to air in May, in which investigators from "Miami" will be called to New York to investigate a murder involving a Miami resident.

"Untitled Terri Hughes Project" - Drama which revolves around a bounty hunter and his two sons, who join the family business.

"Numbers" - From Ridley and Tony Scott's Scott Free Productions. About an MIT mathematician who's enlisted by the F.B.I. to help solve crimes.

"Pearl City" - The ensemble drama tracks a group of detectives in Oahu, Hawaii. Jon Avnet ("Boomtown") is on board to direct the pilot, which received a production greenlight this week. Jeff Eastin ("Rush Hour 3") is writing and executive producing.

"Medium" - Based on the true story of Allison DuBois, a research medium and criminal profiler, and revolves around her struggles to balances her psychic abilities with being a wife and mother. Glenn Gordon Caron's ("Now & Again") drama at the Peacock has a title and a greenlight to produce a pilot

"Ricochet" - Takes a "Memento"-like backward approach to storytelling as each episode starts out with the climax, with the rest of the show retracing the steps that led to said moment. Rene Echevarria ("Star Trek: The Next Generation") and Jeff Kline ("That Was Then") are the executive producers of the project

"Hollywood Division" - Drama which revolves around young undercover detectives who infiltrate a Hollywood high school posing as students (a la "21 Jump Street") to investigate things like a drug trafficking ring. Barry Schindel ("Law & Order") and Rob Port ("10-8") are behind the project.

"Veronica Mars" - About a teenager who helps out at her dad's agency. (OR) Drama about a spoiled teen girl who reunites with her estranged, down-on-his-luck father and ends up helping with his detective agency. From writer-producer Rob Thomas ("Cupid") and Joel Silver.

"Nikki & Nora" - About two female private eyes. (OR) About two lesbian private detectives based in New Orleans. Written by Leonard Dick ("Hack," "Fastlane").

"The Enforcers" - ames Ellroy ("L.A. Confidential") has signed on with Kerry McCluggage's Craftsman Films to develop a new L.A.-based cop series.

Are you ****ing kidding me:

"Beck & Call" - Follows the lives of three personal assistants living in New York. (OR) A drama set in the New York fashion world, as seen through the personal lives of the industry's executives and assistants. Dan Bucatinsky ("All Over the Guy") wrote the pilot

"Fly Girls" - Focuses on the star of a sci-fi series who somehow becomes endowed with real super powers

"Frankenstein" - The series is expected to take place in present-day Seattle with both Dr. Frankenstein and his monster surviving the past two centuries thanks to genetic engineering on both subjects. The two are then discovered by a female cop and her partner through a routine homicide investigation. Over the course of the pilot, Frankenstein's monster joins forces with the cops and will combat Dr. Frankenstein and his other creations in successive weeks. From Martin Scorsese and author Dean Koontz.
Old 01-26-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Re: Synopsis of several new TV shows next season

I'm in interested in:

ABC (particularly these three)

CBS

NBC

FOX

WB & UPN

Other

Old 01-28-04, 08:22 AM

The Frankenstein one sounds interesting (not in a good way). I had to read it a few times just to make sure I understood the basic plot. I swear, that sounds more like an old SNL skit (picture Phil Hartman) that anything else.
Old 01-28-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
When will there be CSI: Minneapolis. Oh the injustice.

Can't have enough of those shows. <sigh>
Old 01-28-04, 11:59 AM

Can't wait to see what they do with the Dark Shadows story.
Old 01-28-04, 07:32 PM

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
...Are you ****ing kidding me:

Yeah, this is the one that had me howling with laughter (gotta stop reading these threads at the end of my workday whilst still at my desk )... as a native Seattleite, I've gotta ask, WHY HERE???
Old 01-28-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Joeboo835
When will there be CSI: Minneapolis. Oh the injustice.
How 'bout CSI: Costa Mesa? They could put it opposite The O.C.
Old 01-29-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PORNOCOPIA (Spike TV, New!) - Renegade 83 ("The Surreal Life") is developing a new weekly half-hour series at the cable channel which takes adult films and edits out the explicit stuff, leaving behind six-minute vignettes. No other details were available.
Link

Old 01-29-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Lilac Lane" sounds most interesting because of Neil LaBute.

Good casting can make several of those mentioned worth a look though.