DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   That 70's Show will end next year. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/343386-70s-show-will-end-next-year.html)

Seantn 01-25-04 11:43 PM

That 70's Show will end next year.

From IMDB.com News:

===========
Ashton Kutcher is bringing another of his hit TV shows to an end, after announcing the next season of That 70s Show will be the last. Kutcher and his sitcom co-stars have decided to bring the show to an end next year. Co-star Topher Grace says, "It's out of respect to the show. We have so much fun but you know when these shows kind of get lame after a while, well, we want to go out while it's still good. Ashton and I, our contracts are done this year but we actually signed up for another year. But we wanna end it."

===========

I think this is a good idea. The show has had a good run, but I don't want the show to go on so long that I have to start picking out the seasons I like and the seasons I hate (i.e. Friends, The Simpsons, etc...).

MrJeff 01-26-04 12:35 AM

well...I do know that punk'd is still filming prnaks...

big whoppa 01-26-04 12:48 AM

Ratings aren't that hot. But it's a great show. It's hard to keep the group in the basement for long.

Fok 01-26-04 12:53 AM

That's too bad, but understandable. I know Kutcher seems like he'll do well afterwards, but what about the rest?

Jackskeleton 01-26-04 01:40 AM

well the 70's had to end sometime.

Seantn 01-26-04 02:13 AM

Actually, the 70's will be ending right as the series ends. 1 season of the series = 6 months in the characters lives. 2 seasons=1 year. I remember this being explained by the producers.

The show began in 1976, so 8 seasons means it'll become the 80's at the end of the series run.

Seantn 01-26-04 02:13 AM

Actually, the 70's will be ending right as the series ends. 1 season of the series = 6 months in the characters lives. 2 seasons=1 year. I remember this being explained by the producers.

The show began in 1976, so 8 seasons means it'll become the 80's at the end of the series run.

dcprules 01-26-04 03:35 AM

I think this show has been on long enough and it's definitely time for it to be moving on (I really have only sporadically watched since the second season). Has it already been eight years, boy I'm getting old. It felt like this one just started only a couple of years back.

B.A. 01-26-04 07:49 AM

The next and last season will be its 7th, which is fine by me. I have actually been waiting for this announcement for a while and not because the show is bad (it's still great, imo), but the people involved are going to want to move on, particularly the show's young actors. Might as well stop while things are still good.

Ashton Kutcher will be back on tv in the next five years. He is better suited for sitcoms.

Topher Grace's career will have longevity. I can't say that for any of the other young member's of the cast (who haven't done much outside the show).

Red Dog 01-26-04 07:55 AM

Probably a good thing. With this one and S&TC leaving, there won't be many worthwhile comedies left to watch on television.

resinrats 01-26-04 08:08 AM

The obvious series final show will take place on Dec 31, 1979 and the final minutes it will be 1980. At least this is how I would write it.

Gcomeau 01-26-04 08:30 AM

Glad to hear they've actually decided to bring it to an end(still a great show...but it's time). Thanks for all those great moments since 1976... oops i mean 1998:).

Achtung 01-26-04 09:08 AM

Originally posted by resinrats
The obvious series final show will take place on Dec 31, 1979 and the final minutes it will be 1980. At least this is how I would write it.
Yep exactly what I was thinking. Good to hear that this show won't be dragged out too long, as its still pretty funny. I prefer shows to end with some dignity.

Roto 01-26-04 12:41 PM

Sounds good to me. I'm just a little irritated that they already screwed up That 80's Show. They could have waited a few years and done it right.

ChrisHicks 01-26-04 12:48 PM

well, they can always do "That 90's Show".

Groucho 01-26-04 12:52 PM

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
well, they can always do "That 90's Show".
That's a good idea. Catch up with the kids in their late 20's. Most of them are pretty close to that age already.

Michael Corvin 01-26-04 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
Probably a good thing. With this one and S&TC leaving, there won't be many worthwhile comedies left to watch on television.
<---------- sneaking up behind you and shouting SCRUBS in your ear.

ChrisHicks 01-26-04 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
<---------- sneaking up behind you and shouting SCRUBS in your ear.
you're assuming Scrubs lasts that long.

big whoppa 01-26-04 02:28 PM

That 70's show will live on in syndication. It's a good thing.

MJKTool 01-26-04 02:30 PM

Originally posted by big whoppa
That 70's show will live on in syndication. It's a good thing.
:up:

One of the only current sitcoms left that I watch.

SPiRAL 01-26-04 11:07 PM

Sad to hear, but understandable.

Lara Means 01-27-04 02:52 AM

Maybe That 80's Show will make a comeback.

Which Button? 01-27-04 03:31 AM

Now all we need is That 70s Show on DVD

rfduncan 01-27-04 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Red Dog
Have you heard of another FOX show called Arrested Development? You should check it out ASAP.

B.A. 01-27-04 08:59 AM

Red Dog never said there wouldn't be ANY worthwhile comedies left to watch on tv. He said there wouldn't be MANY left to watch.