Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

My recent guilty pleasure: Becker (CBS)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-23-03, 10:35 PM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts

I'm sorry to admit it, but I love Becker. It is one of the few comedies that I've ever seen that consistantly delivers for me. Whether its the new epsiodes or the ones in syndication, if its on, I'll watch it.

Ted Danson and Nancy Travis have this chemistry/tension that he and the "symbite-host-chick" never had. His dead pan humor (or lack thereof) keeps me smiling throughout the entire episode.

Jake is funny, Linda's a ditz, Margeret is so matter of fact, and Hector is starting to grow on me.

The episode last night where Jake's 'nana' died was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long while.

Old Man #2: "Your nana was a very special friend to me, she brought things out in me that I had thought died long ago."

Jake: "Man that guy has a bad memory, he just told me that..."

Becker: "That was a different guy."
Does anyone else here watch this show?
Old 10-24-03, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I loved the show when it was on Mondays, then CBS in all of it's wisdom moved it to Sunday, and I missed a season or two(?), but I have caught it again now that it is on Wednesday with King of Queens, the other good CBS Monday sitcom.
Old 10-24-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oddly enough, when I went to L.A. for vacation after labor day a couple years ago, this was the only show not taking the week off for the holiday. So I got tickets for a shooting. (yes, 3 1/2 hours or so for 22 minutes worth of film).

I had never seen the show before, but since beggars can't be choosers, I took them. I really enjoyed the dynamic of the show, and followed it a while (only when I noticed it was on, and when it moved to another night I probably didn't notice). The "Chris" character was not around yet, and Terry Ferrell was there instead. She is extremely easy to become enamored of.

However, "Linda" was H-O-T hot!!!!!! She sported some super short leather mini in the episode, and between scenes always had guys falling all over her. Don't know if she still has that band she sang for, which she pimped a couple times during the shoot. But she was definitely steaming.

At the time, it was an 'up and comer', and I definitely felt it was underrated at the time.
Old 10-24-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Last September I also got to attend a taping of the show. Aand yes, it does take a long time to get 22 minutes of usable footage, especially because Ted Danson always mucks up his lines. The blind guy never mucked up his lines the entire evening.

But I never was motivated to time-shift the show for later viewings, and am surprised it's still on the air, actually.
Old 01-20-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Patman
But I never was motivated to time-shift the show for later viewings, and am surprised it's still on the air, actually.
So... It's all YOU'RE fault!!!!!

Danson Says Goodbye to 'Becker'

(Monday, January 19 01:48 PM)
By Jay Bobbin

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Parting is sweet sorrow for Ted Danson. Again.

After his 11-year run as Sam Malone on the classic sitcom "Cheers," the Emmy-winning actor is bidding farewell to the role of perpetually cranky New York City doctor John Becker. The CBS series "Becker" is ending after six seasons, with its final telecast scheduled for Wednesday, Jan. 28. (Repeats of the show will remain in syndication.)

Danson says the cast and crew knew "Becker" was over when filming finished just before Christmas, but the networks official announcement of the show's cancellation last week still is bittersweet for him. (CBS Entertainment president Nancy Tellem told reporters Sunday that she'll "never say never" to the show's return, but the network won't be ordering any more episodes for this season, at least.)

"I miss going to work, I miss my friends there, and I miss that character," Danson says. "Last summer, when we were not picked up to start the season -- and then picked up -- it was clear that we were not the flavor of the month. I think all the 'How dare they?' had gone out of us, and we were just grateful for the opportunity to come back as a group and end the show on a graceful note."

The last two seasons of "Becker" re-teamed Danson with Nancy Travis, who had worked with him previously in the movies "Three Men and a Baby" and "Three Men and a Little Lady." "I thought she was wonderful," Danson says of his co-star. "She really perked up the show; her unfailingly-optimistic-in-the-face-of-Becker attitude was a great change.

"The last 13 episodes, we really played relationship comedy. We just went for it, and it was fun to see Becker truly trying to do the right thing but failing miserably. I loved the writing. Becker was a really complicated, interesting character."

It won't be long before Danson is back on CBS; he and his wife, Oscar winner Mary Steenburgen ("Joan of Arcadia"), play a long-married couple in the movie "It Must Be Love," scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 15. The potential for other new projects is soothing the wound of losing "Becker," Danson concedes: "As an actor, my ears are slightly perking up, wondering what's next."
http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...818|1|,00.html
Old 01-20-04, 11:24 AM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts
Oh well... all good things... you know the rest.