Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

80s Music Fans -- HEADS UP! vh1 Bands Reunited starts tonite!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a new episode every weeknight at 10/9c.

Tonite's episode features Berlin.

Upcoming bands: A Flock Of Seagulls, Dramarama, Extreme, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Kajagoogoo, Klymaxx, Romeo Void, Squeeze and the Alarm.
Old 01-19-04, 08:47 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I watched it this morning. Pretty entertaining show, though that Amamim host guy annoys me. I had actually never heard of Berlin before this show. THe old pictures of the lead singer made her look pretty crappy, covered in that 80s big hair. but she is smoking hot now. even cuter than Debbie Harry.
Old 01-19-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just wanna see Extreme.
Old 01-19-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by whynotsmile
I watched it this morning. Pretty entertaining show, though that Amamim host guy annoys me. I had actually never heard of Berlin before this show. THe old pictures of the lead singer made her look pretty crappy, covered in that 80s big hair. but she is smoking hot now. even cuter than Debbie Harry.
You never heard of Berlin before this show!? I mean, they had quite a few videos on MTV in the 80's.

And oh yeah....did you mean the lead singer (Terri Nunn) is cuter (now) than Debbie Harry (then)? Because Terri got better looking with age. Debbie, however, did not. But Debbie's still very cool.

Last edited by Daytripper; 01-19-04 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-19-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
biggest hit: "Take My Breath Away" from Top Gun..
Old 01-19-04, 09:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
And don't forget another great song from Berlin- "No more words"

The show is produced by Richard Blade who is very well versed in the Punk/New Wave scene for many years as a DJ in LA and now is the Stream Jockey on Sirius on stream 22 (First Wave)

VH1 has really changed for the better and still sticking with music based programs not like MTV which is all over the map.
Old 01-19-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by brtcmfn

The show is produced by Richard Blade who is very well versed in the Punk/New Wave scene for many years as a DJ in LA and now is the Stream Jockey on Sirius on stream 22 (First Wave)

VH1 has really changed for the better and still sticking with music based programs not like MTV which is all over the map.
You mean, not like MTV which is down the toilet....right?

Yeah, good ol' Richard Blade. He was the best on KROQ. Three of the songs off Berlin's "Pleasure Victim" were staples on KROQ for a long long time. As were several tracks on their second album, "Love Life". Berlin were also on American Bandstand and Solid Gold many times.
Old 01-19-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rogue588
worst hit: "Take My Breath Away" from Top Gun..
Fixed.

I was a HUGE Berlin fan from their Pleasure Victim and Love Life albums, but when they hit "big" with that crap-tastic Giorgio Moroder song they didn't even write, I was just so disappointed.

Classic Berlin singles: "The Metro", "Sex (I'm A..."), "Masquerade", "No More Words", "Now It's My Turn", etc.

I actually saw Berlin in 1984 opening for the Thompson Twins -- it was my first concert.

And Terri Nunn was always hot! I don't remember her having big 80's hair. She had long curly hair in the early Pleasure Victim videos, but her "signature look" was straight blond hair with black ends.
Old 01-19-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I REALLY enjoyed this show. I made sure to set my Tivo to tape all of them, even the only one I don't care about (Extreme, ugh.).
I thought this was going to be a boring old-farts-on-stage for a full hour, but instead they only performed two songs that we saw.

The good part was watching the host try and get each individual to come back after as much as 20 years apart (drummer). Seeing what they are doing today and then watching them struggle to remember how to play their instruments. Very interesting idea.
Old 01-19-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, I could give a rat's a-s-s about Kylmaxx too. But I really enjoyed tonight's show also. Can't wait to see Romeo Void tomorrow night. They were also one of my favorite 80's bands. Only got to see them once live and they were excellent.

And jadzia, very jealous you got to see Berlin open for the Thompson Twins (another favorite of mine from the 80's). Where was this?
Old 01-19-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Daytripper
And jadzia, very jealous you got to see Berlin open for the Thompson Twins (another favorite of mine from the 80's). Where was this?
At Meadowbrook which is north of Detroit.

The funny thing is, I was in seventh grade and my friend's dad took us to the concert. He was a very religious man and he looked extremely uncomfortable when Terri Nunn got on top of John Crawford and "humped" him on stage during "Sex (I'm A...)".

A pretty memorable first concert experience.
Old 01-20-04, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, good ol' Richard Blade. He was the best on KROQ. .
I remember Richard Blade! When I lived in Los Angeles back in 1984, he had his own local video show. I remember seeing a cool band called Stawberry Switchblade on his show.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 01-20-04 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-20-04, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Because Terri got better looking with age. Debbie, however, did not. But Debbie's still very cool.
Trip....I think Debbie looks pretty darn good for 56! I saw Blondie a couple of summers ago. They kicked ass!
Old 01-20-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
So were Terri and John an item? The show hinted but I never saw/heard if they were.

Was it Terri or Dale Bozzio(Missing Persons) that wore the tin foil/clear plastic bra in one of their videos?
Old 01-20-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Cusm
So were Terri and John an item? The show hinted but I never saw/heard if they were.
They used to be. They said they were married for many years then got a divorce 7 or 8 years ago. John is remarried with 3 kids I think. It had to be extremely bizarre for him to up on stage with her singing.

I also saw Berlin open for TT in '84 in Maryland. I had completely forgotten about that and would like to go back to forgetting!
Old 01-20-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That was fun to watch, especially their delight at the drummer's arrival. Won't be the same with Extreme, as they had a reunion thing just 2 years ago, and Gary and Nuno just did Guitar Wars last November in Japan. Still looking forward to it though.

Wish they would've done the original G'NR or Warrant. Maybe for season 2...
Old 01-20-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Cusm

Was it Terri or Dale Bozzio(Missing Persons) that wore the tin foil/clear plastic bra in one of their videos?
I believe that was the girl from Missing Persons.

I just have to agree that Terri Nunn has aged very well. She still looks really good. I enjoyed seeing them play again although it might have been nice to see them bust out the synthesizers.
Old 01-20-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

watching the Romeo Void ep now. To be honest, i'm not too familiar with 'em [other than their hits], but I really felt for Benjamin [the sax player] not being able to play..

vh1 needs to kick shit shows like Driven or How To Spend A Million Dollars Like A Celebrity or whatever the name of that show it and do some more of these..

Hell, let 'em put on a FULL concert and make the show two hours. One hour with the dude tracking 'em down and finding out what they're up to, and the other hour could be the concert..
Old 01-20-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LiquidSky
Trip....I think Debbie looks pretty darn good for 56! I saw Blondie a couple of summers ago. They kicked ass!
I saw that same tour. And yes, Debbie looks o.k. And looking better and better. She did kind of hit the wall for a while there. And also, Terri Nunn is only 42. We'll see how she looks at 56
Old 01-20-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Factoid:
Terri Nunn auditioned for the role of Princess Leia

http://www.timewarptv.com/site/progr...ests/part3.htm

Last edited by Chrisedge; 01-20-04 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-21-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by atlantamoi
They used to be. They said they were married for many years then got a divorce 7 or 8 years ago. John is remarried with 3 kids I think.
I don't think that's true. Terri mentioned a "divorce", but I think she was speaking figuratively.
Old 01-21-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Flock of Seagulls tonight. Should be fun!
Old 01-21-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In this interview, Nunn claims she's never had sex with John Crawford. Somehow I fnd that a little hard to believe...

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art16452.asp
Old 01-21-04, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by brtcmfn

I had wondered what else Richard was doing, now that he's living in the Bahama's. He had mentioned that he was going to be a scuba diving teacher, but I guess he's back to being a DJ on Sirius. That is probably a pretty cool gig. He probably has a home studio where he broadcasts from.

I remember when he joined KROQ in 1982 and became part of The Romando & Blade Morning Show, which followed The Romando & Evans show. Anybody out there remember that show?

Ah KROQ in the early 80's, those were the days. They have to be considered as probably the most influential rock music station, since the late 70's, in the nation. No other station has broken as many groups as KROQ has. All of the groups mentioned above were first played by KROQ, along with U2, Duran Duran, The Cure, Depeche Mode and the list goes on. They were also one of the first to play Nirvana and the whole Seattle grunge rock scene in 1991. Now most of the stuff they play, is played by other rock stations, trying to play catchup!

Chris
Old 01-21-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was excited that show aired a brief clip from Richard Blade's TV show MV3. Did anyone else used to watch this show? That is the show that single-handedly got me into new-wave alternative music and it changed my whole world. We did not have cable TV in my area in the early 80's so I had no MTV. But they used to air this show MV3 every weekday at 4 pm on a tiny UHF station. I would come home from school every day when I was in sixth grade (1982-83) and watch it. That is what got me into Duran Duran, Berlin, The Cure, Altered Images, Blancmange,and tons of other bands.

When the show first started they would show videos but intercut it a lot with new wave kids dancing in the studio (a la American Bandstand). Later on, towards the end of the series, they stopped showing the kids dancing so much and aired more of the videos uninterrupted.

I remember the first day I came home and there was no MV3 on anymore-- just an old Merv Griffin re-run. I was so sad.

I always talk about MV3 to people and they look at me like I am nuts, so it was nice to see an interview clip with Berling from this to prove I didn't dream it.

It was hosted by Richard Blade, another guy, and a pretty girl-- Karen something or another.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.