Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Arghhhh, damn you, FX!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-04, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arghhhh, damn you, FX!!

Ok, so me and the girlfriend have been taping the Buffy episodes that FX shows every day so that we could watch the show in a timely manner without shelling out for the DVDs (we don't like the show THAT much). So I accidentally forget to record Friday's episodes, Checkpoint and Blood Ties. No problem, I think to myself, since FX always repeats the eps that were shown in the afternoon on the following morning. So I look at the TV listings for this morning, and there's both episodes, sitting pretty and waiting to have the VCR set for them.

I check the tape a few hours later and find that for some strange reason, there was some stupid football talk show that took up the first hour and a half of the tape, and only the last twenty minutes of Blood Ties actually got aired. And of course, it doesn't look like they plan to re-re-broadcast the episodes any time soon... ugh.
Old 01-19-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Buy the DVDs, for many reasons.
Old 01-19-04, 03:02 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

That sucks. I love season 5 so much that I wouldn't suggest skipping any episodes, so I don't know what I'd do. I sympathize with not buying the dvds, though. I'm really cheap and have trouble justifying buying something that's on all the time anyway even though Buffy's one of my favorite shows ever.
Old 01-19-04, 04:44 PM

Not only that, but I only buy DVDs (or games, or music) that I absolutely know I'm gonna be viewing a lot. I can't see myself wanting to sit down and rewatch Buffy any time soon, so there's no reason for me to buy the DVDs. I wonder of any rental places around here rent individual discs....
Old 01-19-04, 04:56 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, it's annoying that my dvd collection is filled with comedies because I know I'll always be able to rewatch those. I love dramas, but once I know everything that's going to happen, a lot of the entertainment is gone. Buffy does actually have more rewatchability for me than most dramas, though. I'm sure part of that is because it's only partially a drama filled with lots of comedy and action.
Old 01-19-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by xVladx
Not only that, but I only buy DVDs (or games, or music) that I absolutely know I'm gonna be viewing a lot. I can't see myself wanting to sit down and rewatch Buffy any time soon, so there's no reason for me to buy the DVDs. I wonder of any rental places around here rent individual discs....
Actually, that's how most rental places rent episodic DVDs
Old 01-19-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok... I'm just gonna chime in here...

We have season passes for the FX Buffys and this morning we have (and I just viewed at fast forward) Checkpoint and Blood Ties from the 6am and 7am locally (central time) airings of Buffy.

I know they screwed things up over Christmas, for some reason swapping out times with 90210, which would have screwed up TiVo manual recordings or vcr recordings.

But I see NO evidence that your lack of those two episodes is FX's fault...

Are you sure that the "last 20 minutes" is actually Blood Ties, and not one you might have had from your earlier daily recordings? We still have it on the TiVo. The show ends with "the gang" trying, but failing, to beat up Glory in a hot red dress, and Willow teleporting her away. Last line is Buffy walking out with her sister saying "Do you think she'll raise my allowance?" with Buffy replying for her not to push it.

Is it possible this is a vcr setting issue?
Old 01-19-04, 09:16 PM

It's possible that it's a regional thing or something, but I had checked the tape on sunday night, and it contained two episodes from the beginning of the fourth season at the beginning, which is where I set it to record this morning. I checked that exact tape starting from the beginning, and there was no sign of the two eps that were there the night before, just the football talk show.

Which ended at around 8:30AM, and after the commercial, the end of Blood Ties was aired. I even cross checked what I had seen against an episode synopsis to be sure that it was that episode.

Maybe it was the fault of our cable provider or something... Either way, I'm still irritated.