DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   SNL - 01/17/04 - Jessica Simpson & Nick Lachey (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/341852-snl-01-17-04-jessica-simpson-nick-lachey.html)

Charlie Goose 01-18-04 12:17 AM

Going in, I wanted to hate this episode. I don’t care much for reality shows about vapid semi-celebrities, so I was hoping this would flop. I was wrong, not only were Simpson and Lachey very good hosts, but it was one of the best episodes so far this season.

Dean campaign
Jeff Richards as a foul-mouthed Dean, pissing off county seats. Not bad, and short enough not to be grating. Fork yourself.

Monologue
A throwback to the cheap variety shows of the 70’s. They’ve started with the Jessica-is-dumb jokes already. It won’t be the last.

Tylenol Extreme commercial
Specially developed to numb pain from a kick to the groin. Nad pounding is always funny!

Z105 Morning Zoo
Jimmy Fallon as every member of a radio zoo show. Very good stuff, especially when Jessica was buying the act and yelling at Nick.

El Cantador singing Mexican restaurant
Singing waiters would annoy me too. So far, the show is going very well.

American Idol
With established singing stars. Another Britney Spears portrayal. Yay. Finesse had me rotfl with his act as that singer of the milkshake song.

Newlyweds - The Golden Anniversary
Okay, but could you do me a favor and pound that Chicken of the Sea gag into the ground a little more please?

Paris Hilton & Nicole Ritchie for Beef
Rachel Dratch was good as NR. “I’ll put anything in my mouth. Seriously. Show me what you got.”

Weekend Update
Started slowly, but Tina Fey had a good line about sex being a way to get boys to like you, and Jimmy was funny when he would stand up to play air guitar, and a stagehand would throw him a real guitar. Fred Armisen and Will Forte came on to sing a song that was so annoying it was funny.

Sharon Osbourne
Amy Poehler does a great Sharon. Simpson as Carmen Electra and Lachey as Dave Navarro.

Victoria’s Secret
Maya Rudolph as a cranky old lady looking to buy panties. “Does it cover ma bidness?” :lol:

Nut Grower’s Council
With Bubba Sparxx. Nothing much, deserves its late spot.

Tuna of the Dirt Chicken
Yes, the joke was wearing thin but this was very clever and Jessica was hilariously confused.

astrochimp 01-18-04 12:46 AM

I enjoyed this episode,maybe its cuz i was really drunk but then again thats how i am for all of the snl's ive liked the best ;)

Sdallnct 01-18-04 01:31 AM

Originally posted by Charlie Goose

Dean campaign
Jeff Richards as a foul-mouthed Dean, pissing off county seats. Not bad, and short enough not to be grating. Fork yourself.

[

Just starting here in California. Based on posts, it seems like something is different. Every time is was going to say "F%$#" or in the skit I guess it was to be "fork" they beep it...weird.

mikehunt 01-18-04 02:24 AM

I think they had him say fork in case the guy running the beeper was off on the timing or so the audience didn't get subjected to the real F word

HistoryProf 01-18-04 02:29 AM

Jessica sure does have some nice assets....eesh. over all the show was subpar - which actually seems par for the course this year....but unlike recent efforts, I saw some promise in this week....

one question. I know i am very uncool, but isn't the whole G-Unit thing that 50 cent guy? what's up with that? I should say as well that I thought it sucked ass....i'm still trying to pinpoint the moment that rythm and talent were removed as prerequisites for hip hop stardom.

scottall 01-18-04 02:42 AM

I really like Amy Poehler and Maya Rudolph, but the show is still not very funny. I should just go ahead and kick the SNL habit and watch Mad TV-the parts I saw were funny tonight.

Originally posted by brizz
one question. I know i am very uncool, but isn't the whole G-Unit thing that 50 cent guy? what's up with that? I should say as well that I thought it sucked ass....i'm still trying to pinpoint the moment that rythm and talent were removed as prerequisites for hip hop stardom.
He did get shot 9 times so that makes him a hip-hop star ;). I still listen to rap music, but not much that was made within the last 7 years.

Jackskeleton 01-18-04 05:50 AM

If the whole Chicken of the sea joke wasn't dead before they hosted SNL, I say it should be. they ran that joke in the ground it made my head shake. :shudder:. Had some good moments, but over all another unfunny snl.

sho kosugi 01-18-04 12:26 PM

It was by no means great, but it was funnier than I was expecting with these two hosting and the way this season has been.

Goldberg74 01-18-04 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Goldberg74
February 7: Megan Mullally (Karen on Will & Grace) and Clay Aiken (a loser from last season's American Idol)
:D fixed.

PJsig08 01-18-04 12:42 PM

I watched this show for the first time in about 2-3 years....and it actually made me laugh a couple times. The American Idol thing was pretty funny.

But still, when I used to watch it with Will Ferrell "back in the day" I was guaranteed a good time. This show seriously needs another star.

das Monkey 01-18-04 01:40 PM

"Back in the day" was the Will Ferrell years? -eek- Damn. I can remember watching Joan Cusack and Anthony Michael Hall and talking about the "back in the day" years.

Anyway, big :up::up: to Nick and Jessica. The writing was pretty terrible yet again, but they did a great job with the material, and Jessica's confusion always makes me laugh, from the Z105 sketch where she was getting mad at Nick to the Tuna of the Dirt sketch where it looked like her head would explode. And give credit to Nick for not missing a beat when the a/v dept ****ed up for yet another episode.

das

dcprules 01-18-04 02:14 PM

This was one of the few episodes I've watched recently where I didn't turn it off after about twenty five minutes. I actually enjoyed the episode. The American Idol and Newlyweds bits were really funny

atari2600 01-18-04 02:46 PM

dude that was one of the funniest snls ive seen in months! i was dying of laughter in most skits!

Charlie Goose 01-18-04 02:46 PM

Originally posted by mikehunt
I think they had him say fork in case the guy running the beeper was off on the timing or so the audience didn't get subjected to the real F word
Yeah, he was off. Fork came through, but yourself was the word getting bleeped. Nice timing!

Just to keep a running tally:
Jack Black :thmbsdwn:
Justin Timberlake :thumbsup:
Halle Berry :thumbsup:
Kelly Ripa :thmbsdwn:
Andy Roddick :thmbsdwn:
Alec Baldwin :thumbsup:
Al Sharpton :thmbsdwn:
Elijah Wood :thumbsup:
Jennifer Aniston :thumbsup:
Jessica Simpson & Nick Lachey :thumbsup:

6-4 for the season, with three good ones in a row.

edytwinky 01-18-04 09:28 PM

I couldn't stop staring at Jessica's nice assets during the whole show

Tommy Ceez 01-18-04 11:40 PM

Nick did show himself as quick on his feet.

BTW G-Unit was the most incomprehendable musical performence I've ever seen

Rypro 525 01-18-04 11:49 PM

Originally posted by Goldberg74
:D fixed.
shouldn't it be
" Megan Mullally (annoying bitch on Will & Grace) and Clay Aiken (a loser from last season's American Idol)" I think I'll skip next week.

Charlie Goose 01-19-04 12:24 AM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
shouldn't it be
" Megan Mullally (annoying bitch on Will & Grace) and Clay Aiken (a loser from last season's American Idol)" I think I'll skip next week.

Okay, you can skip next week. However, don't miss the show on February 7th, as that's when Mullally & Aiken are on!

El Scorcho 01-19-04 12:34 AM

Megan Mullally is hot!

Quake1028 01-19-04 11:11 AM

Originally posted by brizz
one question. I know i am very uncool, but isn't the whole G-Unit thing that 50 cent guy? what's up with that?
G-Unit is:

50 Cent
Lloyd Banks
Tony Yayo (in jail)
Young Buck

pezboy 01-19-04 11:16 AM

"I can see your vagina"
"That's called my stage presence"

Bandoman 01-19-04 11:25 AM

"Back in the day" for me = Dan Aykroyd, Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Bill Murray et al. Nothing compares to them.

Fred Armisen and Will Forte came on to sing a song that was so annoying it was funny.
It was stupid, but for some reason it had me in stitches. "Yaaaaaaaa!" rotfl