Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

With TIVO, Does Anyone Else Find Themselves Not Watching Shows "Live" Anymore?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-08-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I say "live" I mean if, say, NYPD Blue is on at 10pm, and you're home, you still don't watch it. You just let the Tivo record it for you and you'll watch it later.

It seems the only thing I do watch "live" are actually live events, like sports or award shows. And, if I'm home and bored, I'll obviously flip the channels "live" to see what's on.

But I find myself purposefully not getting in front of the TV at 8pm, 9pm, 10pm, etc to watch my favorite primetime shows. I just watch them Tivo'd and commercial free an hour or so later.

Anyone else do this or do people still watch some of their favorite shows in real time?
Old 01-08-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
The only thing that I watch live now are sports and occassionally news. The only exception to this is The King of Queens (although I forgot about it last night) which I have to watch live since I record The O.C. and West Wing on my 2 Replays.
Old 01-08-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watch HD shows live and some sports, although, I often buffer sports by about an hour so I don't have to break the action for product pimping.

das
Old 01-08-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty much the same. I only watch HD and sports live. Everything else is TiVo'd.
Old 01-08-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have HD, so that's not an issue.

Yes, I have been home at one minute before, say, 24 starts, and I've now convinced my stepson that we should do something else (watch something else from NP, play a video game, actually do something productive) instead of clicking it on live, to save the 15+ minutes.

Also, anyone with a DirecTiVo, it's not live. There's like a one second delay.

I started my recording of the National Championship (sic) game at the time that halftime was ending, saw every play, and caught up by early part of the 4th quarter.

For my alma mater, A&M, it's a bigger time savings to me to watch it "live" until we are miserably behind, then curse, and cancel the recording.
Old 01-08-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wait 15 or so minutes as well to be able to skip the commercials throughout.
Old 01-08-04, 12:40 PM

I prefer Tivo'd shows over live shows. I keep trying to fast forward thru commercials when watching live shows. News is about the only thing I watch that is live.

Thong
Old 01-08-04, 12:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The DirectTV guy is coming tomorrow. I'll tell you then.

I can see this changing my viewing habits, though.
Old 01-08-04, 12:44 PM

Very very rarely...we love having those extra twenty minutes to do something else...shower, get dinner ready, etc. then we'll sit and watch our show 20-30 minutes late and skip all the commercials...I tried to fast foward through something the other day because I forgot it wasn't tivo'ed. I NEVER check to see if I'm watching something live whether or not it's back from commercial. When we were watching the survivor finale we started watching it a full 30 minutes later and by the time we were done ffwd the 80 commercials we were all caught up. Tivo is like the best invention ever...after the TV of course!
Old 01-08-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Once I figured out how tivo worked I have never watched anything live except for a couple times with a conflict I wacthed one show in another room while tivo took care of the more important show.
Old 01-08-04, 01:01 PM

I don't really "watch" live shows. When I'm making something to eat for dinner I have a live TV show on in the background, but then when I'm ready to sit down and eat I usually watch one of the recorded shows I haven't watched again ... or a saved episode of Scrubs (still funny the second time around)

Football in HD is the only live TV I see anymore.
Old 01-08-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
For my alma mater, A&M, it's a bigger time savings to me to watch it "live" until we are miserably behind, then curse, and cancel the recording.
So, you basically stick around for the coin flip?
Old 01-08-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few people who still watches shows live.

The only show I don't like to watch live anymore is 24 but that's just because I hate dealing with the commericals. I don't know why it annoys me more with that show than any other; it just does.
Old 01-08-04, 01:46 PM

I even record football games most of the time. The thirty second skip is perfect for skipping between downs. I miss a lot of the commentary, but I can watch a three hour game in half an hour... or so.
Old 01-08-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do still watch live with Tivo but I'll often pause it for a while and then have the ability to fast forward when it reaches a commercial.

One of my biggest annoyances with recorded Tivo is that it all too often cuts off the very end of the show. I know you can manually tell it to extend a few minutes when setting up a recording but not when it records a show for you automatically.
Old 01-08-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by nazz
One of my biggest annoyances with recorded Tivo is that it all too often cuts off the very end of the show.
Happens extremely rarely for me. Usually, it is because a specific channel consistantly airs programs early/late.
Old 01-08-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
If my DirecTivo is recording two shows at the same time, I'll either watch something I have saved or go do something else for 20 minutes or so.

My wife and I never watch things live.
Old 01-08-04, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I watch all my HD shows live with my Comcast service and let my DirecTIVO take care of almost everything else. I still have to use a vcr for a few shows but not for much longer. I'm about to add another DTIVO soon so I can retire the vcrs.
Old 01-08-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's "live" TV?

I've only had occasion to consider it a coupla times. Managed to find something else to pad the "commercial buffer."
Old 01-08-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't watched a live TV broadcast in my house since getting my Replay in June.

(Maybe this explains why I have no idea about any moves or other TV shows than the ones I watch...)

-Jason
Old 01-08-04, 04:02 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
I've been Tivo Less for about 7 weeks now moving from one coast to the other, in temporary rental.

And I will never sit down at the tv now. Before I would sit and watch what was on the NP list, now It's only some nights I force myself to watch.

Comcast has a terrible guide which is half of the problem the DTivo guide is so smart and easy to use its hard to not use anything else. My install is set for Jan 21 or 22 and the wait is killing me.

Luckily I should be recieving my new Plasma right before it gets installed so all my toys will be in place.
Old 01-08-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
It's funny... when I first got the Tivo, my wife thought I was crazy... now she can't stand sitting through commercials on the rare occasions we do watch something "live." We're especially pained when we can't fast forward through the 75% of wasted time (recaps, previews, etc.) they show on most reality shows these days...

Sports and news, and shows that conflict with other tivo'd shows... that's pretty much it, unless for some reason we get low on content and decide to watch whatever's on.
Old 01-08-04, 06:30 PM

The only live programs on in our house are the kid shows my kids watch in the morning (Disney or Nick / Blues Clues, Dora, wiggles, etc.) Since there are no commericals during the shows, we usually let the kids just watch live.

My wife and I don't watch anything live. Saving 15-20 minutes for an hour show is great. I'll even watch a recorded TLC show (Trading Spaces, Clean Sweep, While you were out) with her once in awhile since you can see the room before at the beginning, skip the middle 50 minutes, and then see the result at the end.
Old 01-08-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watching TV live as it's braodcast ?

How.... quaint
Old 01-08-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Count me in for one who rarely watches live tv anymore. And when I do, I usually leave the room, check my email, goof off for a few minutes, then come back in and rewind, thus enabling the ability to skip commercials. Mine is a Dish 508, not a "real" tivo, but I love it, and I find it VERY user friendly. But then, I am a master of vcr programming, so it was pretty much an identical skill set.

I also am one who sometimes catches up to live tv then get very irked when I can't fast forward through slow parts/commercials. And the second another commercial comes on I automatically try to ff again - it's that engrained. I won't even let my boyfriend hold the remote, because he's too slow on the trigger. Not that I ever really shared the remote before my dvr either.

I must say, the invention of the integrated satellite receiver/dvr is only surpassed by the invention of tv itself. It is my favorite possession, well, it's tied with my tv and dvd player anyway.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.