Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Comcast takes on TiVo

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Comcast takes on TiVo

Old 12-04-03, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Comcast has been great for HDTV viewers. Lots of channels added at no extra charge.
Old 12-04-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Unfortunately, the angel (in the form of DirecTV) cannot fly into apartment since he can only fly in certain directions. Therefore, I have to deal with the devil.
I have the same problem, however I don't hate Comcast (except that I think they charge too much).

I might consider getting their DVR if it's reasonably priced (versus paying $200+ for a Tivo plus a monthly fee).
Old 12-04-03, 05:39 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
haivng had direvctv and my Dtivo for 2.5 years or something like that. and currently in a temporary rental I have comcast
and I hate the guide.

The Tivo Guide is the best guide that I have ever seen.
I am jonesing for my tivo, and will be back on Jan 7... maybe earlier if I can persuade the seller to let me get the Dish installed and leave my samsung 120hr sitting on the floor recording shows.
Old 12-04-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
TiVo has a several year lead on the cable giants...and they are just that, GIANTS! Give them a couple years and they'll have all the functionality of TiVo and much more that will almost force the market to move in that direction.

I'm no Comcast fan, they just raised my cable rate for the third time in 18 months, but I think they'll win out in the end.
Old 12-04-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
from their site:

Digital Video Recorder

Introducing Digital Video Recorder (DVR).

More control than you have ever imagined

With a digital video recorder, you don’t just record TV. You make television fit your schedule. If the phone rings in middle of your favorite show, you can press “pause,” talk all you want, and restart your show where you left off the moment you hang up. All at the touch of a button. And, unlike Satellite, with Comcast, there is no expensive upfront equipment to buy or long term contracts.

Never miss a moment of your favorite shows

CREATE YOUR OWN SCHEDULE OF SHOWS AVAILABLE WHENEVER YOU WANT
With your DVR cable box you can record and watch 30 + hours of programs.

PAUSE LIVE TV
With DVR you can pause any show on any channel. Then resume watching at the place you left off, whenever you’re ready.

YOU DECIDE WHEN YOU WANT AN INSTANT REPLAY
Miss an important part of your show? Just press the “instant replay” button and any program you’re watching will jump back approximately ten seconds.

DVR makes it easy to record your favorite shows

RECORD WITHOUT TAPES, TIMERS – OR A VCR
Just highlight a program in your on-screen program guide and press “record.” The program is saved directly on the DVR.

EVEN RECORD AN ENTIRE SEASON IN ONE EASY STEP
The problem with a VCR is that you have to remember to set it each week. With DVR, set it once and it remembers for you.

The technology is advanced, but using it is simple.
Old 12-04-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Eric F
Comcast has been great for HDTV viewers. Lots of channels added at no extra charge.
True. Just got Cinemax, Starzz, and CBS (Finally!)
Old 12-05-03, 10:42 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Unfortunately, the angel (in the form of DirecTV) cannot fly into apartment since he can only fly in certain directions. Therefore, I have to deal with the devil.

and the devil flying around my apartment is TWC. that is my ONLY option. i got my TWC dvr unit last week and i had to return it 3 days later as it couldn't record, or i couldn't retrieve anything i recorded, and the damn box kept rebooting/resetting (turning my tv on/off about 10 times a day). TOTAL FRUSTRATION. now, i'm in a state of flux. should i wait for their new dvr (with HD capabilities) to roll out or just get a tivo?!
Old 12-05-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by takamine
and the devil flying around my apartment is TWC. that is my ONLY option. i got my TWC dvr unit last week and i had to return it 3 days later as it couldn't record, or i couldn't retrieve anything i recorded, and the damn box kept rebooting/resetting (turning my tv on/off about 10 times a day). TOTAL FRUSTRATION. now, i'm in a state of flux. should i wait for their new dvr (with HD capabilities) to roll out or just get a tivo?!
Go for the TiVo man, and don't look back.