Joan of Arcadia 11/14/03

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Joan of Arcadia 11/14/03

Old 11-17-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Joan of Arcadia 11/14/03

11/14/03

Joan decides to not do God's bidding, and the repercussions cost her in her personal relationship with Adam after she tries to fix things, and ends up hurting Adam by smashing an art piece he had sold just so Adam would not use the money to drop out of school.

The police case didn't leave much of an impression on me (except that Joe didn't "play ball" with TPTB and now has only 6 months to find a new job).

Kevin pushes the pity buttons of shopkeepers when he finds that a CD was accidentally caught by his wheelchair.
Old 11-17-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This last week's episode seemed like the show was "jumping the shark." And the preview for next week looks even worse, but I like the show and Ill watch.
Old 11-17-03, 11:47 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
I liked the episode, except for the Kevin part.

I liked the "Could it be the devil" story eventhough you knew it wasn't going to be.
Old 11-17-03, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by retihsuhnt
This last week's episode seemed like the show was "jumping the shark." And the preview for next week looks even worse, but I like the show and Ill watch.
Can a show 'jump the shark' before its even halfway finished with its first season?

I thought it was a pretty good episode.
Old 11-17-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked it too. Every week this show is growing on me more and more. I loved the revelation when Joan met Grace Polk's father. I also liked that, once again, things aren't wrapped up tight at the end of 52 minutes. Dad's got the 6 month deadline of trying to keep his job or find another. Joan and Adam are on the outs because of her lack of imagination.

I may be projecting a bit, (and it hasn't been brought up in this weeks thread) but I do feel that people who automatically watch/don't watch this show because religous reasons/beliefs are sort of missing the point. This show seems to be about trying to understand how your actions affect everyone around you, and vice versa. They just happen to use the gimmick of an all-knowing character to illustrate it on the show.

Also, next weeks show looks great...
Old 11-17-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked the episode, and thought that Amber Tamblyn did a great job during the scene when she breaks down after seeing how the guy reacted to her destroying the art. I am curious to see how it all turns out...
Old 11-17-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Astro
Can a show 'jump the shark' before its even halfway finished with its first season?

I thought it was a pretty good episode.
Okay jumping the shark might have been the wrong phrase, but just like "The Education of Max Bickford" you could really tell that they were instructed to change the show. Im just worried that we have seen the best of Arcadia behind us.
Old 11-17-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I totally forgot about Max Bickford. I actually liked it at the beginning, but it was tweaked to death...
Old 11-17-03, 08:20 PM

How has the show changed?

Joan questioned her sanity from the get go. She's questioned God's identity (at least in the first episode). God's requests to Joan have seemed strange/irrelevant from the start as well- this time the request just happened to seem like the wrong thing to do. I think it was bound to happen.