Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Alias [Warning - includes spoilers]

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Alias [Warning - includes spoilers]

Old 11-14-03, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alias. Syd's Mom may be gone for good...

Just saw this and its a lil upsetting. i like Irina character and was hoping to see how the relationship was going to work out. lets hope...

MOM'S AWAY: Alias villainess Lena Olin seems to be taking her role as Jennifer Garner's absentee mom, Irina Derevko, a little too literally. As reported in the new issue of TV Guide magazine, the actress nixed a deal to return this season despite the fact that, as a source close to the negotiations puts it, "every single one of her demands were met by ABC and the producers." Among her initial requests: "Sharon Stone-type money," says an insider, referring to the unprecedented $100,000-per-episode salary the Basic Instinct star reportedly pulled in for her recent Practice stint. ABC declined to comment, as did Olin's camp, but Alias exec producer J.J. Abrams is holding out hope that Olin will be back. "[Irina] remains a critical piece of the puzzle." Albeit an expensive one. For more "TV News" scoop including exclusive dish on Las Vegas and Malcolm in the Middle pick up the new issue of TV Guide, on sale Monday.
Old 11-15-03, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

more info:

"Alias" Mom Gets Lost--Again

It looks like Alias' Sydney has lost more than two years' worth of memories.

Lena Olin, who played Jennifer Garner's KGB agent mom last season on the ABC spy show, has opted to not return as the mysterious maternal unit.

"After doing everything we possibly could including meeting the agents' requests, Lena ultimately decided it wasn't the right time for her to return to the show," creator/executive producer J.J. Abrams said in a statement released by ABC Friday.

A call seeking comment from Olin's publicist was not immediately returned.

E! Online TV columnist Kristin Veitch reported last month that Alias producers "tried desperately" to book Olin for "multiple episodes," but that attempts reportedly had been thwarted by money issues.

According to the new TV Guide, Olin asked for "Sharon Stone (news)-type" dollars, a reference to the reputed $100,000-an-episode rate Stone quoted for her three-episode arc last month on ABC's The Practice. But per the magazine, not even Olin's salary requests scared off Alias's top agents.

Despite Olin's reluctance to return, Abrams said the show is "hopeful that it will work out in the future."

Also not giving up: The Alias fans behind BringBackLena.com. As its name plainly states, the Website, launched last month, wants Olin back on the show--stat. According to the site, fans aim to take their appeal to the Hollywood Reporter next month in the form of an ad. As of Friday, 66 people had pledged $2438.75 of the $3,300 needed for the ad.

Alias was the 47-year-old Swedish-born star's first TV series work. Forays into Hollywood Homicide aside, Olin is best known for grown-up dramas such as Enemies: A Love Story and Night Falls on Manhattan.

On Alias, she showed off her bungee-cord-jumping style as "The Man," aka Irina Derevko, long-lost mother of Garner's Sydney Bristow.

Olin bowed on Alias' second-season opener in September 2002. Although she greeted her daughter with a hail of hot lead, Irina and Sydney actually went on to bond. Mother was last seen in May's season finale, bounding off a building top, with bungee cord in hand.

That episode was a turning point for the show. Garner's agent Sydney woke up in Hong Kong, two years older, but none the wiser (she and viewers were left in the dark about the missing months); and, Bradley Cooper (news)'s journalist Will Tippin got stabbed. While Tippin survived, Cooper wasn't brought back as a regular. He will, however, appear on the December 7 episode, ABC said. Also guesting in that installment: Merrin Dungey, now on recurring status after two solid years of playing Syd's best friend Francie and Francie's genetic double Allison.

Amid the cast turnover, and despite Garner's tabloid-tracked romance with costar Michael Vartan (news), Alias is averaging 9.3 million viewers for the season to date, slightly below ABC's network average of 9.6 million.

from [YAHOONEWS]
Old 11-15-03, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Give her character plastic surgery and have someone else play her. I hate it when these piddly little actors get a role that brings them acclaim, and then they hold the show hostage to try to milk it for everything that it is worth, regardless of how it affects the show or the fans. She is a supporting actress - that's it. Sure it can screw up some storylines, but I think that Abrams can work his way out of it.

It would be nice to have her back, but when I see her, all I will see is greed...
Old 11-15-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With Alias' numbers, it might very well get canned before they have a chance to bring Spy Mommy into the picture again.
Old 11-15-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for putting spoilers in the thread title. I appreciate it.
Old 11-15-03, 10:47 PM
Suspended

PLEASE USE SPOILERS!!!

I haven't seen all the seasons yet! I am recording this season on PVR so I can watch it after season 2 comes out on DVD in Dec.
Old 11-15-03, 10:53 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by movieking
Give her character plastic surgery and have someone else play her.

I agree. No one actor should be able to hold a show hostage.

I hate it when these piddly little actors get a role that brings them acclaim, and then they hold the show hostage to try to milk it for everything that it is worth, regardless of how it affects the show or the fans.
While I agree with your anger at Lena, she isn't exactly a "piddly little actor".
Old 11-15-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bandoman

While I agree with your anger at Lena, she isn't exactly a "piddly little actor". [/B]
Well she isn't a name actress. She's a good actress and has done mnay movies, but I doubt she has much if any name recognition, which is what gets you the $$$.

The Alias role helped her gain popularity and also an Emmy nom, so it's disappoiting to see her turn her back on that it the information we're given is true
Old 11-16-03, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe she just doesn't want to do the show anymore.

Because she did it last year, she is in no way obligated to come back and do the work again if she doesn't care for it. Maybe her request were so outrageous because she thought ABC wouldn't give in.
Old 11-16-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just fix her character up w/ a new face and bring in someone fresh. It would be one of the least-surprising story-lines in the show. "Mom, you have a new face, but that's nothing compared to the fact that I was missing for two years and have no knowledge of it."

Last edited by B.A.; 11-16-03 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-16-03, 01:46 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by B.A.hist
Just fix her character up w/ a new face and bring in someone fresh. It would be one of the least-surprising story-lines in the show. "Mom, you have a new face, but that's nothing compared to the fact that I was missing for two years and having no knowledge of it."
Agreed.

When you consider the whole Francie/Allison story Irina with a new face isn't that big of a deal.
Old 11-18-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree. I hope they don't just write her out. I hope they replace her.
Old 11-18-03, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If they replace her, try having one of the original Charlie's Angels play the part.