Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Tru Calling -- "Brother's Keeper" 11.13.2003

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-13-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brother's Keeper

Peril awaits Tru's impetuous brother (Shawn Reaves), swept up in a whirlwind romance with a disarming woman who's estranged from the husband she says beat her. Sarah: Cobie Smulders. Andrew: Joe Flanigan. Gardez: Benjamin Benitez.
Comparatively speaking, this was better than last weeks.

[not that that's saying much..]
Old 11-13-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not bad, although it looks like this show is going to be very formulaic.

Someone dies; they talk to Tru; Tru relives the day and thinks they died in a certain fashion; finds out new information that makes her rethink her previous position; finds out more information that makes her go back to the first assumption; finds out yet more information that makes her go back once again to the revised assumption; followed by a twist at the end.
Old 11-13-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They kinda changed the order of things this week which was good although it still seemed somewhat predictable but was good enough that i will still tune in next week....if its still around
Old 11-13-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Although I figured this one out real early, I enjoyed watching it play out and I think it was the best one yet.

I do think they should have let us get to know her brother better and allowed us to get to like him and care about him more before airing this particular episode though. It would have had more impact.

Last edited by movielib; 11-14-03 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-13-03, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by movielib

I do think they should have let us get to know her brother better and allowed us to get to like him and care about him more before airing this particular episode though. It would have had more impact.
probably one of their better episodes and trying to get them on to boost ratings so they don't lose the show.
Old 11-14-03, 02:49 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I figured they'd do an episode with one of the siblings, I just expected them to be the dead body.

I liked this episode, it was alot better then last weeks.

The ending was kind of bad since that would have been the worst framing of a crime ever. She touched the gun last and would have had the gunshot residue on her hands and shirt.
Old 11-14-03, 10:36 AM

Not to mention her "conspiracy to commit murder"... Umm.. She just shot his ass, now that is attempted murder.

I want to keep watching for Eliza, but I don't think I can anymore. Do we have to see her slowly walking into the morgue, searching for the body and opening the vault acting surprised when the body speaks to her every week? When the day restarts and it is pretty obvious, why does she always go back to the morgue and look into the vault for the body? Why must we always hear her boss make a comment about how she loves her job because she is in here 12 hours early. I swear he has said the same line every episode about how she never leaves.

I have tried to suspend disbelief and just try to enjoy the show, but I was itching to turn the channel last night, so I think I am headed back over to Threat Matrix.
Old 11-14-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i agree.. i really want to like this show, because i love eliza... but really.. is it really gonna be the same thing every week??
Old 11-14-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't really enjoy last nights episode. It was too much like the previous ones. Whenever a glass breaks or some trivial fact is highlighted (like a sports score or trivia question) I immediately know now that its going to re-surface later in the episode. I also rolled my eyes at the same things sq240 mentioned - same exact things have happened in every episode now.
Old 11-14-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortunately, I missed it last night because the high winds knocked out my power and when it came back on, my cable box remained off, so my Replay simply recorded black.

I have a feeling this might be the end of TC. TC is losing to UPN's offerings (overall and 18-49) in the 8-9 slot. Plus it is barely beat the WB's offerings last night.

Last edited by Red Dog; 11-14-03 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-17-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When does Tru ever sleep? She spends all day fixing things, and works the late shift.

Her brother seems to be a waste, nothing all that interesting about the guy (except a gambling habit).
Old 11-17-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, every episode features her waking up in the morning in bed (twice no less!), so she must go to bed eventually.
Old 11-18-03, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Jeraden
Whenever a glass breaks or some trivial fact is highlighted (like a sports score or trivia question) I immediately know now that its going to re-surface later in the episode.
I laughed as SOON as I saw "Jeopardy" on TV-- because I knew that later she would recite the answers.

Why can't the show be clever enough to directly reference "Groundhog Day"-- the question should have been "What are the Finger Lakes?"!!

Old 11-18-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jadzia
Why can't the show be clever enough to directly reference "Groundhog Day"-- the question should have been "What are the Finger Lakes?"!!

I finally got around to watching this ep. I thought it was good (I've only seen the pilot until now), but I agree w/ everybody - too formulaic. It can't last that long, because the gimic is going to get old fast. There is not enough to this show at all. It's sad, because Eliza has so much potential...to be Syd's long-lost sister on Alias.
Old 11-19-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by B.A.hist
It's sad, because Eliza has so much potential...to be Syd's long-lost sister on Alias.