Survivor 7: 11/13/03

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Survivor 7: 11/13/03

Well, the winner of the reward challenge was
Spoiler:
Rupert, who gave it away to Burton, who then invited Lill along for a massive breakfast with all the fixings. Burton and Lill yakked and Lill played damn dumb.

The winner of immunity was
Spoiler:
Rupert, and this put a small crimp on the sentiment that Rupert needed to go out early because he's a threat to win immunity all the time. But in the end, Ryno got the boot by an 8-1 vote.
Old 11-13-03, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, poor Ryno... ouch.

I guess everyone is so afraid of Rupert that none of them wanted to put a coconut in his bin during the immunity challenge? This is probably the one time they could have gotten rid of him.
Old 11-13-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
This episode really had me scratching my head.

First of all, I really hate the type of Immunity Challenge they used. To recap, the Suvivors answered trivia, and each correct answer allowed a vote for another Survivor, with 5 votes knocking each player out - last man standing wins. I hate these because normally the strongest players are voted out first and there is really little a person does to "win" the challenge.

BUT, for whatever reason, and even after EVERYBODY planned on how to get rid of Rupert, NO ONE voted for him throughout pretty much the entire Immunity Challenge.

Very strange.

And then when it comes time for Tribal Council, everyone votes for Ryan O, even the other members of Morgan.

My conclusion is this season of Survivor is edited in possibly the most misleading way ever. So much so that because of next week's preview, I don't believe for a second Rupert will be voted out.

Last edited by SunMonkey; 11-13-03 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-13-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really wondered what the strategy was during the Immunity Challenge. I would have thought
Spoiler:
Rupert and Burton and at least Lill
would have been the first taken out.

I still don't understand why the person voted out was such a target. I would have thought they would have wanted to get rid of
Spoiler:
the Outcasts
Old 11-13-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't see why we have to spoilerize this, so screw it. If someone hasn't watched it yet, they shouldn't click the thread. Hello?

I agree with everything sunmonkey said. I am really beginning to dislike Rupert. He is way too controlling. And why is everyone so SCARED of him???

That immunity challenge sucked. There is no way to control your own destiny. You are at the mercy of the other players, who tonight seemingly presented absolutely zero logic in their moves. Why do they talk almost the entire episode about getting rid of Rupert and then practically hand him immunity on a silver platter? And why in the hell did the other former Morgans vote for Ryno? At least they should have thrown a couple more votes at Christa for dissing them at Tribal Council. It makes me sick to think how afraid of Rupert they all must be to lay down for him like that. Did you catch Rupert's comment to Jon? It went something like: "I told Burton, you better not cross me or I'll kill you." Puh-lease! Give me a break man. Rupert, you are going down.
Old 11-13-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by taa455
I agree with everything sunmonkey said. I am really beginning to dislike Rupert. He is way too controlling. And why is everyone so SCARED of him???
I wanted to clarify in light of the above comment that I am still rooting for Rupert and hope he wins it all.
Old 11-13-03, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by SunMonkey
My conclusion is this season of Survivor is edited in possibly the most misleading way ever. So much so that because of next week's preview, I don't believe for a second Rupert will be voted out.
Of course they are misleading. The producers want ratings, so they brainstorm on how to get people to watch. BINGO! I've got an idea, says one bright producer. Let's run some commercials saying that Rupert is "Americas Favorite Survivor". Then we'll edit Rupert to look like he's the obvious leader and has the other players in the palm of his hand. Now for the payoff... we runs some more commercials that hint at Rupert being voted off. Viewers will flock to the TV each week to see if "Americas Favorite Survivor" is going to get the boot! That's GOLD, Jerry! (wait that's from another show)

I hope Rupert does get voted out. I want Sandra to win it all.
Old 11-13-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank God I'm not alone in feeling that way. What was wrong with these people??? They want to get rid of Rupert and they get rid of each other first. This was their best chance to do it too. They can't beat him physically and even if they weren't smart enough (which they weren't), they could have still beat him easily in this game by ganging up on Rupert. But no! Did they forget this was a very important immunity challenge? They were treating it like a game of Monopoly or something the way they were laughing about losing.

Ryan's own teammates get rid of him first. What was that about? And I thought they would at least vote to get rid of someone from the other tribe or Lil. But we find out they both voted him off. And then poor Ryan wishes the two of them good luck in his send-off. Something's not right. I never noticed any animosity there so why get rid of him first? If there's any logic there, I guess they didn't want to be singled out in this new tribe by voting with Ryan.

That Jon needs to go quick as does Lil.
Old 11-13-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Vonner
Of course they are misleading. The producers want ratings, so they brainstorm on how to get people to watch. BINGO!
My point wasn't that this was new or unexpected, only that this season's hype is exceedingly misleading. I was further commenting on how the individual episodes are edited as shown by Ryan's unanimous eviction.

Last edited by SunMonkey; 11-13-03 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-13-03, 11:37 PM

Well it's pretty easy to figure who'll be the final two

It's looks like Rupert and his core supporters will pick off the others one by one. This was the Morgans and Outcasts best chance to mount an offensive against Rupert and instead they just completely followed his lead. There's not a chance anyone's going to break rank. This show's gonna get pretty boring from here on out.

Too bad, this season had been pretty interesting and entertaining until this point.
Old 11-14-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Well it's pretty easy to figure who'll be the final two

Originally posted by SunMonkey
I wanted to clarify in light of the above comment that I am still rooting for Rupert and hope he wins it all.
Didn't mean to imply that you dislike Rupert. Sorry.

Originally posted by dotheDVDeed
It's looks like Rupert and his core supporters will pick off the others one by one. This was the Morgans and Outcasts best chance to mount an offensive against Rupert and instead they just completely followed his lead. There's not a chance anyone's going to break rank. This show's gonna get pretty boring from here on out.

Too bad, this season had been pretty interesting and entertaining until this point.
This episode was terrible, but there is still much potential for things to get interesting. From the comments at the breakfast, it sounds like Burton and Lil intend to take Jon to the final 3 with them. They have to make their move soon because each week another potential ally is voted out. Their plan is probably to enlist Ti and Darrah to vote off Christa, Sandra and Rupert. If they are smart they will go for Rupert first (i.e. cut of the head and the body dies). Once they get rid of those three (if it goes that well for them), they will then go for Ti and Darrah. Personally I hope it doesn't go that way. I cannot stand Jon or Lil I'd hate to see either of them in the final 3. Depending on how immunity challenges and tribal "politics" go, there are a dozen or more different scenarios that could play out. I doubt any of us will quit watching now.
Old 11-14-03, 12:11 AM

For the record, I'm rooting for Rupert, however, I'm still undecided as to if he is just a nice guy with some anger management issues, or incredibly smart. For now, I'm gonna go with incredibly smart. My guess is that everyone knows they need to get rid of him, but everybody fears what will happen if the coup is unsuccessful. Pretty much every single person said "we need to get rid of Rupert" tonight (which I will agree is some fancy editing, but they said it none the less), yet they did hand him immunity. I think the real problem is that nobody is willing to publicly commit to going against him, where if 1 person took a stand and faced his wrath, he would probably be gone in a heartbeat as all the other people piled on the bandwagon.
Old 11-14-03, 12:11 AM

Re: Well it's pretty easy to figure who'll be the final two

Originally posted by dotheDVDeed

I am seeing it differently. For as it stands right now, it's still up in the air on how thing are going to play out.

First of all, if the Outcasts and the Morgans align together, then they will have the same numbers as Rupert and his fellow Drakes, so at the next tribal council the vote could come down to the tie breaker and the luck of the draw could determine the next person to be voted out.

Secondly, it 's looking like Johnny Fairplay is starting to switch his alliance and is making deals with Burton, which will lead to the eventual ouster of Rupert, unless of course John is just playing Burton and is still in cahoots with Rupert.

Next weeks episode should clear things up on who is really aligned with whom, and hopefully Rupert will have the numbers on his side after all is said and done.

Last edited by monkyskunk; 11-14-03 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-14-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was sort of an interesting episode but I'm not convinced that anything is strange. I think they decided to let Rupert feel a false security. It seemed to be a concerted effort to allow him to win that challenge. I'm guessing they are going to try to surprise him with an attack. Whether this is the best way to go about it remains to be seen. Either way, Ryan was but a casualty.
Old 11-14-03, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Decent episode and yes, misleading editing/previews. But I expected that.

In this season's past Survivor threads people mentioned that Jeff Probst said something about a big "regret", that someone would regret something. I think someone said it was supposed to have happened already. Spoiler below includes a theory and preview information for next week's show.

Spoiler:
In next week's preview, I think something was said about someone regretting something, and it appeared to be Lil? I think maybe she tells Rupert about some peoples' plans to kick him out. I had originally thought that maybe the regret involved Rupert giving up immunity and then getting voted out because of it. But I would hope he's not stupid enough to do that. Any ideas on what the preview for next week might involve? Or is this going to be something that's just overhyped, which I'm starting to think it is.

Last edited by BlackCapTen; 11-14-03 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-14-03, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Why are you guys surprised about the misleading? It has been happening the entire season so far. You have to take what they are leading you to as a sort of opposite. I generally assume the opposite of what they say and it ends up being what happens.
Old 11-14-03, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Why are you guys surprised about the misleading? It has been happening the entire season so far. You have to take what they are leading you to as a sort of opposite. I generally assume the opposite of what they say and it ends up being what happens.
Yep. Exactly what I did.
Old 11-14-03, 05:59 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Jonny Fairplay is still alive, the greatest survivor ever

he will be the next million dollar winner
Old 11-14-03, 06:39 AM

Is Lill just the most annoying person ever? She's so obnoxious. They were kind of showcasing her last night and she was just so irritating.. It's like Rupert is just too honest and they will get rid of him pretty quick, but at this point he deserves it. He seems to be telling everyone what to do (telling Burton to take Lill to breakfast...etc) and they are realizing that he needs to go. Why they gave him immunity is a mystery! I don't think I could take it if Johnnny Fairplay stayed in this for the long haul!!
Old 11-14-03, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not one of the better episodes.

Rupert should have eaten the breakfast he won instead of giving it to Burton. He could have brought food back for everyone and still looked good.

The immnuity challenge was a joke. Everyone was afraid to put a coconut in Rupert's bin. Doesn't any of them have any balls ?
They all talk big but when it's time to act they all chicken out. They would have no problem voting for him at tribal council though because it's done in secret.

I think Rupert is through unless he continues to win immunity.
Christa and Sandra even want to get rid of him !

I hope he wins it all but it doesn't look good.
I just hope Jon or Lil don't win it. Those 2 are the most annoying survivors ever.

I think Burton now has a vote against him on the Jury if he makes it to the final two. In Ryan's eyes he probably thinks Burton voted for him too. He and Burton planned on voting out Rupert but when Rupert won immunity that wasn't possible.
I wonder if they had a backup plan in case Rupert won immunity.
If they did they didn't show it on tv.
Old 11-14-03, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I loved Ryan's comments when he was voting. He didn't like "Krista" all that much, did he?

Rupert reminds me of a big man-child in how he stands around and grins after winning a competition. I will celebrate when he gets booted off the island.
Old 11-14-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
What I've come to expect from Survivor - overplay the discussion of getting rid of the popular player, then we see the obvious play.

I'm pretty much tired of Rupert, myself. He's laying it on too thick. I absolutely cannot stand Lil. Of course, I've been pretty down on this season from the start.
Old 11-14-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who was the guy who won just about every immunity challenge? Colby? Do you think Rupert can sweep the immunity challenges the same way?
Old 11-14-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This type of immunity challenge is designed to expose the pecking order (of who's considered vulnerable to eviction, and in what order). This is the type of immunity challenge that turned the tables in Survivor - Marquesas - (where Vecepia won after Neelah and the judge turned the tables on John and the dominant tribe faction after their merge).
Old 11-14-03, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
Jonny Fairplay is still alive, the greatest survivor ever
I was more suprized that he didn't get the first 5 coconuts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.