TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Playmakers Season Finale ("Week 17"), 11/11

Old 11-11-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Playmakers Season Finale ("Week 17"), 11/11

Episode #11 - Week 17

Spoiler:
Leon plans for retirement by auditioning for a sportscaster job at Samantha's station. Buffalo's weight issues affect his chances of playing. Now that DH's is back on top, how far can he flaunt his playmaker ways? After Olczyk invites Beth to move in, he must decide how to handle the surprise of Jenna's pregnancy.

The show, as outrageous as it is, has grown on me. There are some pretty likeable characters.
Old 11-11-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I enjoy watching it. It's not great by any stretch of the imagination, but it's pretty entertaining with some likeable characters, and I find that I'm interested in seeing what happens from week to week even if it's borderline silly at times.

I do hope there's more to the finale than what's been shown in the previews all week, as they've been pretty spoilerific.

das
Old 11-11-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That was pretty good.

I thought the players' discussion of Olczyk's 'problem' and the The Fixer was hysterical. "What you need to do is get Beth something nice. I'm talking 'Kobe-nice.'"
Old 11-11-03, 11:11 PM

Any word on a second season? I know sports writers have been ragging on the show, but the characters are likeable and I enjoy watching it every week.

Has a second season been picked up? Any time table on when it might begin if there will be a second season?
Old 11-12-03, 09:24 AM

I saw the preview by accident and saw the champagne scene, and I thought they made the playoffs in typical cliche fashion. However, they didn't, which surprised me. So I thought that was cool.

As for season 2.. it did well in the 18-34 demographic so ESPN wants to keep it. However, the NFL wants it sacked.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/rapop...spt-rap12.html

So I guess it depends on how much ESPN wants to keep its ties to the NFL.
Old 11-12-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The champagne scene made me think they'd win the game, but being the season finale, not make the playoffs. I was hoping that I would be wrong and that they wouldn't so blatantly give away what was going to happen, but I guess not.

Still, I enjoyed it. Although, you have to wonder what kind of team down 4 with 1:30 left in the game calls like 6 straight running plays and a swing pass to the RB. I know the main character is a RB, but come on now.

das
Old 11-12-03, 10:52 AM

Das- I noticed the lack of football strategy also. Since the show is on ESPN, and a majority of the viewers would be men, they should brush up on those kind of tactical mistakes.

Running a draw play from the 20, with one timeout and the clock against you, does not make any sense. Simply having the scoreboard say they were within the 10 yard line would suddenly make the play a logical one.

But, then again, they were eliminated on possibly an even more unbelievable play.

This was the first time I watched the show. I had the sense that it could be better, but it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it might be. If the writers go for less shock and wacky swerves, and just tell a realistic story about a football team, that would be more than compelling enough. Football players are over the top as it is, you don't need to make this team an uber version of the Barry Switzer Cowboys.
Old 11-12-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah not only did they run the ball for 6 straight plays, they finished the drive with a pass to him as well. I realize their star WR was out beacuse of his lifestyle, but there arn't backups? lol
Old 11-12-03, 01:21 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
Although, you have to wonder what kind of team down 4 with 1:30 left in the game calls like 6 straight running plays and a swing pass to the RB. I know the main character is a RB, but come on now.

das
I thought he same thing, then I remembered the scenes with the QB passing. Their QB throws like a girl. I don't think he could throw more then a screen pass.

The radio station here said word is ESPN is going to succumb to the NFL and won't do a second season
Old 11-12-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Excellent point.

das