DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Straight Plan for the Gay Man (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/329375-straight-plan-gay-man.html)

DodgingCars 11-11-03 01:17 PM

Straight Plan for the Gay Man

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/1...aightman.reut/

New show: 'Straight Plan for the Gay Man'
Comedy Central program to be led by the 'Flab 4'
Tuesday, November 11, 2003 Posted: 9:47 AM EST (1447 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Cable network Comedy Central is planning to turn the make-over hit "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" upside down with a new show called "Straight Plan for the Gay Man."

Debuting in February, the new show will parody the Bravo channel's "Queer Eye" series and male stereotypes in general as a team of straight comedians -- the "Flab 4" -- teaches a succession of gay men how to pass as heterosexuals.

The make-overs include lessons in such areas as spartan home decorating, oafish manners, less-than-fashionable wardrobes, and an overdeveloped ego to mask all personal failings, production executive Lou Wallach told Reuters on Monday.

He said the network is currently producing three hour-long episodes centering on three gay men looking to go straight for a day to satisfy some personal curiosity about life on the "other team."

Jonathan, an upscale fashion salesman seeking greater insight into the lives of blue-collar workers, will try to get a job as a meatpacker. Roger, a yoga instructor who has always wanted to play a round of pickup basketball, will square off in a competitive game of street hoops. And Stephen, an entertainer with lots of female friends, will venture into the hetero club scene to try his luck as a smooth-talking babe magnet.

As the end of each episode, the Flab 4 will accompany their straight-A students to see if they "pass their tests."

The format is a role reversal of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," in which five gay men with expertise in good grooming, food, fashion, culture and interior design come to the aid of a hapless heterosexual slob. The show has drawn the highest audience numbers ever on Bravo, and a half-hour version proved popular on sister broadcast network NBC.

Comedy Central, a Viacom Inc.-owned network that reaches some 84 million homes, is best known for such offerings as the subversive animated comedy "South Park" and the newscast satire "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart."

A spokeswoman for NBC and Bravo, which are owned by General Electric Co., said the networks were aware of the plans for the parody show but had no comment. "Queer Eye" already was lampooned in a recent episode of "South Park."
-----------------------------------
I heard today that Bravo was planning a 1-episode "Straight Eye For the Queer Guy" too.

the aftermath 11-11-03 01:32 PM

This could be hilarious, or really stupid.

auntiewinnie 11-11-03 01:37 PM

Originally posted by the aftermath
This could be hilarious, or really stupid.
I vote for stupid.

Groucho 11-11-03 02:03 PM

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/td/2003/td030823.gif

big whoppa 11-11-03 02:12 PM

Gotta watch this one.

Eric F 11-11-03 02:20 PM

5 min sketch on SNL.

Meatpants 11-11-03 02:39 PM

Re: Straight Plan for the Gay Man

Originally posted by DodgingCars
Jonathan, an upscale fashion salesman seeking greater insight into the lives of blue-collar workers, will try to get a job as a meatpacker.
A meatpacker? :lol:

Jadzia 11-11-03 02:43 PM

I'd rather see a show where straight gals make lesbians look more "femme".

"Bitch Eye for the Butch Girl"?

Verbal Gorilla 11-11-03 03:06 PM

The inherent problem with this show is that partaking in a makeover in any form (with the expection of being forced to get one) is GAY!

LiquidSky 11-11-03 04:45 PM

I don't know about this. "Queer Eye" perpetuates the stereotype that straight men are clueless slobs. Will this show include stereotypes of some mincing, lisping queen who does not know what a wrench is? :rolleyes: If so, count me out.

DodgingCars 11-11-03 04:58 PM

Originally posted by LiquidSky
I don't know about this. "Queer Eye" perpetuates the stereotype that straight men are clueless slobs. Will this show include stereotypes of some mincing, lisping queen who does not know what a wrench is? :rolleyes: If so, count me out.
I guess I don't understand the difference? One stereotype is ok but the other isnt?

Unless of course, you don't like Queer Eye either...

Birrman54 11-11-03 05:08 PM

I guess I don't understand the difference? One stereotype is ok but the other isnt?

I thought it was pretty clear from his statement that he wasn't a big fan of the idea or Queer Eye.

birrman54

DodgingCars 11-11-03 11:19 PM

Originally posted by Birrman54
I thought it was pretty clear from his statement that he wasn't a big fan of the idea or Queer Eye.

birrman54

I wouldn't be so sure. He's said he liked the show in the past.

Draven 11-11-03 11:49 PM

Originally posted by LiquidSky
I don't know about this. "Queer Eye" perpetuates the stereotype that straight men are clueless slobs. .
I've never gotten that impression from the show. It always seems like they are ultimately trying to help the guys be more successful, and they all seem grateful for the help.

And c'mon, have you SEEN how some of those guys live?

big whoppa 11-12-03 12:54 AM

Wait a sec. I thought this was the spin-off of queer eye. Bravo is doing a queer guy makeover. Excerpt from E! article:

"Queer Eye" Gets Straight Dose
Mon Nov 10, 4:30 PM ET Add Entertainment - E! Online to My Yahoo!

By Lia Haberman

Straight guys will get a chance to convince the nation they're not style victims as Queer Eye for the Straight Guy producers plan a one-shot spinoff episode titled Straight Eye for the Queer Guy.

• News: Queer Eye spies pay hike
• News: Queer Eye spies more eps
• News: Queer Eye cop dodges bullets

E! Online Photo

During the one-hour special, five straight men will tutor one gay guy on testosterone-driven "culture" (and we use that term loosely).

Segments could include power tools 101, NFL basics, decorating your garage, two-minute hair and sports-event etiquette.

The five hetero taste makers have not been cast, and it's unknown if the original show's breakout stars, Carson Kressley, Jai Rodriguez, Kyan Douglas, Ted Allen and Thom Filicia, will appear in the Straight episode.

No air date has been scheduled for the special, which is still in the early planning stages, according to a network spokesperson, but it is expected to be broadcast some time next year.

Revoltor 11-12-03 01:44 AM

Dammit. I still want "Black Eye for the Queer Guy."

big whoppa 11-12-03 02:17 AM

I'm wondering how they will work with the queer guy makeover. The straight guys usually have a woman. If the straight guys makeover a queer guy is it because the guy is too much of a flamer for his boyfriend?

LiquidSky 11-12-03 07:38 AM

No I am not saying one stereotype is ok but the other isn't. I like "Queer Eye" alright but do not watch it on a regular basis.

LiquidSky 11-12-03 07:40 AM

Originally posted by big whoppa
I'm wondering how they will work with the queer guy makeover. The straight guys usually have a woman. If the straight guys makeover a queer guy is it because the guy is too much of a flamer for his boyfriend?
:) Not really sure. Personally, I would not date a guy who is a flamer.

Jason 11-12-03 08:20 AM

From the title, I was afraid this was a show sponsored by the 700 Club.

Might be funny if they get the right guys to do it. I hope they don't use those two clueless drones from the new Man Show though.

Dead 11-12-03 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Revoltor
Dammit. I still want "Black Eye for the Queer Guy."

Comments like this are completely uncalled for. I would suggest that you think twice about what you post in the future.