Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

New Host: This Old House/Ask This Old House

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-03, 12:34 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Host: This Old House/Ask This Old House

One great thing about TiVo is that it regularly rounds up episodes of This Old House Classics, This Old House and Ask This Old House (and the latter two are also aired as The New This Old House Hour).

Anyone else even mildly distressed that Steve Thomas has, after 14 years, been replaced by a new, younger host? Kevin O'Connor sent an email with a wallpaper-stripping question to Ask This Old House and wound up getting himself a job! How's that for luck?

I guess I'm a real TOH geek because I remember being equally distressed when Thomas took over for Bob Villa. From what I understand, Thomas is striking out on a home-improvement series of his own?
Old 11-09-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I have a subscription to TOH magazine and last month they introduced Kevin and gave no reason why they replaced Steve. I was wondering what the hell was going on - I thought it was rather abrupt. Curious as to what happened.
Old 11-09-03, 01:18 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by B.A.hist
I have a subscription to TOH magazine and last month they introduced Kevin and gave no reason why they replaced Steve. I was wondering what the hell was going on - I thought it was rather abrupt. Curious as to what happened.
Yeah, this is all they have on the official website ...

A Note From TOH:
After 14 years as host of This Old House and contributing to the successful debut of the brand-new series Ask This Old House, Steve Thomas has decided to explore other opportunities and challenges. Steve is pursuing creative opportunities that will enable him to do more in front of and behind the camera. Although we’re sorry to see Steve go, we’re excited for him and wish him well. His departure is completely voluntary. Steve has decided to apply his considerable skills and talents to a new chapter in his life.
Old 11-09-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting - thanks, Gross.

I can't believe I didn't even think of checking the website.

Have they aired any new eps w/ Kevin? What do you think of him?
Old 11-09-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, I can remember when Bob Villa left and they got the new guy. Scary
Old 11-09-03, 01:57 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by B.A.hist
Have they aired any new eps w/ Kevin? What do you think of him?
Yes, they introduced him with the new project ... a refab on a small barn that's being coverted as a mother-in-law cottage. He's real "green" and asks a lot of neophite questions around the job site, which I think is the point of having him. They're trying to open the show up a la TLC and H&G. They've also shot new intro and outros to This Old House Classics with him.

And the first episode of Ask This Old House has aired with him as host. That's a really cool show if you haven't watched. Really practical "how to" stuff from replacing toilets to repairing drywall. Gives each member of the TOH team a chance to shine.

Where O'Conner is most shaky is in those pre-taped segments where they tour other houses and projects. He uses a lot of crutch phrases like "I feel drawn into this space" and "What's the thought on that?" and "This is very elegant." Then again, Thomas had become as onry as Villa in recent years. Still miss the way Bob would yell at the home owners for being lazy.
Old 11-09-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by G. Noel Gross
And the first episode of Ask This Old House has aired with him as host. That's a really cool show if you haven't watched. Really practical "how to" stuff from replacing toilets to repairing drywall. Gives each member of the TOH team a chance to shine.
I've been meaning to catch this since I first read about in the magazine a while ago. I'm happy to hear some positive feedback in regards to it. I'll keep an eye out for it - thanks.
Old 11-09-03, 11:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I saw AskTOH with Kevin and I miss Steve. NOt that Kevin did anything bad, just that I am used to Steve like many of those that watch the shows. Glad I saw this thread, was wondering where Steve went.
Old 08-21-04, 11:52 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Just had to shout out to the TOH geeks out there ... I JUST SAW TOM SILVA AT THE BOSTON AIRPORT!!! Wooooo!

Walked past me near the cab stand and I did a double-take ... caught up and Chris Farley'd him: "Just gotta tell you I love the show!" Too funny.
Old 08-21-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome.