Reload this Page >

SNL with Andy Roddick - 11/08/03

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-09-03, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, that was bad. Andy Roddick will go down in history as one of the worst hosts. He was on a Nancy Kerrigan level for hosting. Okay, he’s not an entertainer, but the show mentioning that several times didn’t make it any funnier. If anything, it makes you wonder why they would even bother.

20/20
Just 50 ways to call Martha Stewart a bitch. Other than that, a wasted premise.

Monologue
Last week, I said WTF when Outkast was performing, this week I get to say WTF again.

Cryogenix commercial
These ad parodies are usually pretty clever, but rarely funny.

C-105 Morning Zoo
Jimmy Fallon got a laugh from the audience when he said, “And we’re back!” in the radio voice, so what do you think he did? Yep, he beat the freaking line into the ground every time he said it after that, pausing like an idiot with a stupid grin.

Battle of the Sexes II
Two consecutive skits where Roddick is playing himself. Not bad, but no laughs.

Mrs. Dalyrimple
This pissed me off a bit, because so much could’ve been done with a Mary Poppins type, and there was zilch.

Chris Parnell & John MacEnroe discussing Roddick’s hosting abilities.
Yeah, point out how much he sucks as host. Ow, my sides are splitting.

Company Party
Why are Hall & Oates at the party? They did the same headscratcher with Peaches & herb a few weeks ago.

Father of Serena & Venus Williams
Yawn.

Weekend Update
Jeez, that Tim Calhoun bit seemed to last 20 minutes. I don’t know how WU ended, because as soon as Fallon mentioned Rosie O’Donnell and started his phony laughing, I knew that Horatio Sanz was there, so I changed the channel rather than see these two asscracks do their shtick. Ruins the bit every single time.

Tennis Talk
Three phases of Andre Agassi. Bad.

Merv the Perv
Okay, I kind of liked this, I admit it.

Jock Talk
More like Suck Talk.

Action News 13
SNL is supposed to be cutting edge, this is a skit you expect to see at a Boy Scout Jamboree Talent Show.

Between the host and the writing, this was the worst show of the season thus far.
Next show:
Spoiler:
Alec Baldwin - At least he knows how to host.

Honk!

Last edited by Charlie Goose; 11-09-03 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-09-03, 03:40 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How can you have Andy Roddick on and not have Mandy Moore show up That's the only reason I kept watching.

I said last week that the cow fart skit might be the worst skit ever, well the news skit at the end just took the title.

The only skit that was that I got a laugh out of was the 3 Aggasi's when the first Aggasi finds out he isn't dating Brooke Shields anymore and is married to Steffi Graf.

Update was decent. The Richard Gere joke was funny.
Old 11-09-03, 03:44 AM

as soon as Fallon mentioned Rosie O’Donnell and started his phony laughing, I knew that Horatio Sanz was there, so I changed the channel rather than see these two asscracks do their shtick. Ruins the bit every single time.
I find it funny when they crap up. My 2 cents...
Old 11-09-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How low has SNL fallen when they can only get Andy Roddick to host. What percentage of the country even knows who Andy Roddick is?
Old 11-09-03, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Red Dog
How low has SNL fallen when they can only get Andy Roddick to host. What percentage of the country even knows who Andy Roddick is?
I knew only 'cause he's dating Mandy Moore.

This wasn't that great of a show... which is about par for this season, sadly.

I found the Tim Calhoun bit on the news really funny.
"I want to breed midgets in order to get smaller midgets. We'd call them Shetland midgets."
Old 11-09-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Horrible Horrible Horrible.

Get rid of Sanz and Fallon, or at least keep them apart. Each and every week they are in sketches together where they just decide to laugh at each other instead of entertain the audiences. Get these assclowns gone now!
Old 11-09-03, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't find this one to be funny.

Roddick was pretty good for a non-actor. Although he was playing really himself in most of the skits I saw. Someone mentioned he looks like the guy from American Pie. He was right about that.
Old 11-09-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by NYSoprano
I find it funny when they crap up. My 2 cents...
It can be amusing when a cast member makes another one laugh during a skit, but with Fallon & Sanz they break each other up every single time they share the stage. It's just not professional when you're laughing too hard to even sputter out the lines of the bit and you're more interested in entertaining the idiot next to you than the audience. I don't think it's even genuine. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this constant laughing was a calculated move, either by Sanz & Fallon or the writers, to make the weak material seem funny.

Honk!
Old 11-09-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
That's actually my question -- not having watched last night -- who is Andy Roddick?
Old 11-09-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought it was Sean William Scott hosting till they mentioned it was Andy Roddick and he was unfunny as hell. Now I remember why I stopped watching SNL.
Old 11-09-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
That's actually my question -- not having watched last night -- who is Andy Roddick?

Tennis, anyone?
Old 11-09-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

McEnroe was funnier in his parts than Roddick,and thats not sayin' much

I was hoping to see Mandy as well
Old 11-09-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I still wonder why people tune in and watch SNL. It's almost irrational in some respects given the amount of gnashing of teeth and the like.
Old 11-09-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Patman
I still wonder why people tune in and watch SNL. It's almost irrational in some respects given the amount of gnashing of teeth and the like.

Is this a SNL thread or an Enterprise thread?
Old 11-09-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
My wife and I had no idea who he was. It's a damn shame this is who SNL has to get to host.
Old 11-09-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
And Mcenroe sucked in Jock Talk. The other guys in the skit had Emmy worthy performances compared to him
Old 11-09-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Call me crazy but I thought the Hall & Oates sketch was kindy funny. The way they got what they were saying to match up the beat of "She's Gone" was funny and it was even funnier when they(Hall and Oates in the sketch) attempted it for "Maneater" but they couldn't get it but they kept struggling with it.
Old 11-09-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this a SNL thread or an Enterprise thread?
Old 11-09-03, 05:13 PM

Roddick is ranked number one in the world (which was mentioned more than once), so for people to have never even heard of him shows how little most people care about men's tennis these days. SNL usually gets an athlete or two per season. I thought Andy's acting was decent, although he did play himself or a variation (ex: Stifler-esque goofy jock) in most skits. Even though the skit as a whole sucked, the poodle perm news guy at least gave Andy an actual character to play.

My favorite parts of the show were definitely Merv the Perv, Weekend Update (minus the Tim Calhoun and Rosie bits), and Dave Matthews. It was cool to see Trey Anastasio performing with DM. I'm not a huge Phish fan, but I respect the guy as a musician. I saw him do SNL with Kid Rock a few years back and they did a great version of "Only God Knows Why", much better than the studio version.

No Donatella Versace skit. Thank you all mighty Lord!!!
Old 11-09-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The show was completely lame EXCEPT the Tim Calhoun bit. That had me laughing out loud.
Old 11-09-03, 08:40 PM

Roddick won the US Open this past summer and that was big news in the sports world. He is a friend of Dave Matthews though, so I'm sure that also helped him get the roll as host on the show.
Old 11-09-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I've never heard of Andy Roddick
if they had to have a tennis player, couldn't they at least get one that has been heard of outside the tennis world?
Old 11-09-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Slobodan Zivojinovic was busy
Old 11-09-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
he does look a lot like him
I'm watching it now on tape, haven't read the details of the skits, hope they took advantage of it and did a skit with him playing Scott
edit: McEnroe just made a stiffler comment. hell, McEnroe is funnier than the host

Originally posted by devilshalo
I thought it was Sean William Scott hosting till they mentioned it was Andy Roddick and he was unfunny as hell. Now I remember why I stopped watching SNL.

Last edited by mikehunt; 11-09-03 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-09-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tennis players rankings change often. Even McEnroe mockingly referred him to a 4 day #1 ranked player. The public would likely know Andre Agassi over Andy Roddick.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.