Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How many series have you "discovered" through DVDs?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

The first one for me was Buffy. I've also "discovered" Angel, The Shield, Oz, Friends (never saw an ep until the DVDs), Sex and the City, and, most recently (yesterday and today), Smallville. Smallvile is AWESOME, and this is coming from someone who was never into the whole Superman thing.

I still have The Sopranos, CSI, NYPD Blue, "24." and Dark Angel to try, among many many others.

Once you've found a series you like on DVD, do you keep watching on DVD or switch to TV? I keep watching them on DVD and never switch to TV-viewing because the DVDs are so outdated compared to TV (Angel is on season 4, I believe, on TV and only Seasons 1 and 2 have been released on DVD, for example). I like to watch the eps in order.

How much do you think this is hurting the different series? For example, Angel is not counting me as a viewer but I'm picking up every last DVD they release because I love the series. If more people switch to DVD viewing are we going to get more DVDs to watch? Or will that get more shows off TV due to lack of viewership?

I hear they record people who TiVo it so I'm thinking of recording and then erasing my favorite series(es)? so that they don't get cancelled. If the DVDs were up to date, I would watch the newest eps on TV (and then get the DVD also).
Old 11-07-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1: Alias. I wish the season sets would come out faster so I could get caught up and watch it on ABC!
Old 11-07-03, 09:39 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Since I don't get HBO, I had to wait on Sopranos and Six Feet Under, but I couldn't be happier with them. Caught a couple episodes of The Wire on a Freeview awhile ago, and I would definitely check it out on DVD as well.
Old 11-07-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't watch much of network television but I am now hooked on 24. It is the perfect show for dvd viewing. After watching the first two seasons on dvd, this is the first season I am watching on regular broadcasts and it just isn't the same. Still a great show though.
Old 11-07-03, 09:43 AM

Buffy and Angel. I never watched Buffy at all when it was on tv, and I decided not to watch Angel on tv either. I've only seen seasons 1 and 2 of Angel and decided not to jump ahead and start watching the current season on tv, I'll just wait for the boxsets.

Brett
Old 11-07-03, 11:02 AM

No HBO for me, so Sopranos seasons 1-3 (with 4 on my current wish list), Sex and the City 1-4, Six Feet Under, Mr. Show and Band of Brothers were all bought blind based on word of mouth.

Ultraviolet and Coupling are two Brittish shows I never would've seen without DVD.

Any anime series I own were discovered on DVD.

And of course I'm enjoying Babylon 5, thanks to DVDs and DVDtalk. (Now where the HELL is season 4!!!! - sorry, I feel better now )

Almost everything else I own I either watched religously when it was on (Buffy, Xena, Felicity, MSCL, Monty Python) or had at least seen enough of the show to be curious to get it on DVD (Osbournes Season 1, Insomniac).
Old 11-07-03, 11:29 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I got into the Sopranos via DVD when Season 1 came out. Actually, now that I think about it, it was VHS! Fortunately, HBO constantly reruns the Sopranos constantly, so I was able to catch up and watch seasons 3 and 4 live.

I got into Buffy when I borrowed a friend's VHS set of half of the first season. I thought it was great, but didn't have any desire to jump into the show at that point, since I had heard it was continuity heavy. So I've never watched it on TV, but I was all over the DVDs when they came out. I've also been watching Angel exclusively on DVD.

Once I finish with Buffy and Angel, I'll probably pick a new blind buy TV series to get into. Babylon 5 is the favorite, but Stargate and Alias are also contenders. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't want me to spend too much on DVDs, so she says no new shows until I finish the shows I'm already watching.
Old 11-07-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Buffy, Angel, Twin Peaks, The Prisoner.
Old 11-07-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Office, Coupling, and The Shield are the three I can think of right now.
Old 11-07-03, 01:41 PM

Mr. Show, The Muppet Show, Clerks the animated series, and Futurama. Futurama, I had seen episodes on FOX, but not even close to all of them.
Old 11-07-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Just one. Felecity. I can't belive I didn't watch when it was on TV.

I started watching The Sopranos during season 3 so the DVD helped me catch up to the previous seasons.
Old 11-07-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Six Feet Under I had watched once or twice on HBO, but not with much interest. I picked up the first season on dvd and it completely blew me away. If you ask me, SFU just might be better than The Sopranos. I can't wait for the second season to come out on dvd so that I can start to catch up.
Old 11-07-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sopranos for me. my dad got into 24 via dvd.
Old 11-07-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: How many series have you "discovered" through DVDs?

Zero.

Btw, if you love Smallville so much, you're really going to love Dark Angel.

das
Old 11-07-03, 02:36 PM

I had never seen Sopranos, Buffy or Angel before blind buying the DVDs. Love all three of them.

Never saw Xena on TV, bought the first season on DVD and hated it. A nice fella on e-Bay was kind enough to buy it from me for more than I paid for it. That's been my only bad experience blind-buying TV.

I cheated a little on Alias. Decided to skip Sopranos S4 because of the price mostly, and wanted something new to tide me over until the next Buffy season. Was trying to decide between Smallville and Alias, neither of which I had ever seen. So last Sunday, I tuned in the TV to a Smallville rerun (wasn't impressed) and, later, Alias (I liked it). So I bought Alias having seen that one S3 episode last week.

About 2/3 of the way through the Alias set now, and I like it a lot.

TV sets I bought that I had seen a couple of episodes: Oz, Larry Sanders Show. I saw about half of the first season of Oz when it first appeared on HBO. That was the first TV season I bought. Absolutely loved Season 1, but felt that Season 2 was a huge dropoff and don't plan to get any more. Larry Sanders I had seen several episodes here and there, so I knew exactly what I was getting into.

I'm now at a point where I rarely buy any movies on DVD. I'm really enjoying this TV series thing. I don't like to watch series on TV, mostly because I don't want to commit to a schedule -- and I forget to tape half of the time.

But I'm having a blast keeping my eyes and ears open for shows that have created a nice buzz with critics and fans and buying them on DVD. So far, my track record has been exceptional, I must say.

P.S. Please, please, please, no suggestions to pick up 24. I really have no desire. Just too much damned hype, and I'd rather find something that I know very little about going in.
Old 11-07-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think das monkey agrees with you on the 24 comment. and your in luck with alias because season 2 comes out in 3 weeks
Old 11-07-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Morf
1: Alias. I wish the season sets would come out faster so I could get caught up and watch it on ABC!
Exactly what I would've said.
Old 11-07-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DVD has helped me discover Buffy, Angel and Mr. Show.

Family Guy was a show I had previously seen a few times and really liked, but due to Fox's inability to schedule the show properly, I've now been able to enjoy the full run on DVD.
Old 11-07-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just one. Coupling
Old 11-07-03, 03:29 PM
Suspended

Season sets are too damn expensive to start discovering.
Old 11-07-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just Buffy and Angel for me as well. Although I'd like to check out 24 when I'm caught up. I'm just concerned about the replay value. Perhaps I'll rent it first.
Old 11-07-03, 05:46 PM

I haven't bought any show on blind buy yet. The closest I have come is buying Married with Children - Season 1. I never saw this show when it was on the ait but I do now catch reruns on FX. So I haven't seen the eps in order yet. But I am glad because I have the first season now. I plan to buy Angel and Dark Angel in a blind buy when i get money but first I am going to collect the shows I want really bad.

I would like to recommend a TV Show for newcomer....my favorite show of all time is coming to DVD Feb 17th.... Roswell - Season 1 and I recommend all of you who haven't seen it to buy it when it comes out in 3 months and 17 days.
Old 11-07-03, 08:56 PM
Cool New Member

I started watching Buffy reruns on FX when they were showing Season Three -> Season Six, and I had a $50 GC to WalMart so I went ahead and bought the Angel Season One set from there, loved it. I'll probably use my FreeDVDs.com account to get the second season. Also bought Season 1 and 2 of Buffy from Best Buy when they had the $10 off when you buy 2 seasons or something.
Old 11-08-03, 07:53 AM

Buffy, Angel, Six Feet Under, Felicity, Dawson's Creek, and Sex and the City.
Old 11-08-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The season sets are very expensive to "discover" so I usually will rent them first for a 10 dollars to get through the series.

I found Six Feet Under, Sex and the City, and Mr. Show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.