DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   ER -- "the Greater Good" 11.06.2003 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/328602-er-greater-good-11-06-2003-a.html)

Rogue588 11-06-03 09:59 PM

ER -- "the Greater Good" 11.06.2003

the Greater Good

Drs. Pratt (Mekhi Phifer) and Kovac (Goran Visnjic) clash over a miscarriage-prone young woman (Allison Smith) who arrives to deliver a premature baby -- Pratt wants to make heroic efforts to save the tiny soul while Kovac is dead-set against spending vast amounts of money to keep the child alive, but forever sickly. Elsewhere, Dr. Lewis (Sherry Stringfield) enjoys her time with a sarcastic patient (Emmy-winning guest star Bob Newhart, "Newhart") who once threatened to take his own life over his impending blindness. A distracted Kovac also runs afoul of a psychiatrist who over-medicates an abused foster child (guest star Michael Angarano) who wants to go back to his drug-addled mother. Plus, a chatty, upbeat pharmaceutical rep (as Terra, guest star Sarah Shahi) makes the rounds offering goodies, a man gets violent over an exorbitant bill and Dr. Coop (guest star Glenn Howerton) makes a romantic play for Dr. Chen (Ming-Na). Laura Innes, Alex Kingston, Maura Tierney, Paul McCrane and Parminder Nagra also star.
I'd have to give this ep a big :up:

Let's hope County hires an in house drug rep...;)

kevin75 11-06-03 10:12 PM

this was the first hour of er that i have watched in about 4 or 5 years and it wasn't too bad. i may have to watch it again next week.

MrX 11-06-03 10:20 PM

Good episode

Spoiler:
deleted, this is not cool

Romano was great again tonight:lol:

I see a big screwup in Luka's future.

Rogue588 11-06-03 10:23 PM

Originally posted by MrX
Spoiler:
deleted

Grr...why did I just do that..? :mad: -ohbfrank-

RoQuEr 11-06-03 10:30 PM

f*** you mrx, you are now on my ignore list.

Anyone else think Kovac is becoming too 1 dimensional?

Rogue588 11-06-03 10:49 PM

that's a little harsh RoQuEr...in his defense...it is in spoiler tags...

MrX 11-06-03 11:06 PM

Originally posted by RoQuEr
f*** you mrx, you are now on my ignore list.
-rolleyes--ohbfrank-

Buck Turgidson 11-06-03 11:36 PM

That's the Frank I remember: an irascible pain in the ass, not a fatter David Duke. He and Romano cracked me up a couple of times in this show.

Charlie Goose 11-07-03 07:08 AM

On Tuesday, Furio was on "NYPD Blue". Last night, Jackie Jr. was on "ER". What's next, Richie Aprile as the new chemistry teacher on "Boston Public"?

Good episode. I liked the no-nonsense Luka. When Pratt told him to go back to Africa, I knew he was going to respond with "Why don't you go to Africa?". Except I thought he was going to say it with a different meaning.

The helicopter crash in two weeks looks interesting. Here's hoping all the new med students are aboard. Or underneath. I'm not picky. :)

http://charliegoose.homestead.com/files/goose.jpg Honk!

Patman 11-07-03 08:25 AM

I thought the episode was good, but on a more superficial level, I never really connected with any of the cases/patients in this episode.

Kovac was funny in his rant at the drug rep. He is getting a little much in his Congo medicine man schtick. I thought he and Pratt were going to really get into it when Kovac thought Pratt should go back to the Congo (meaning to see what's it's like there, not attack his heritage), Pratt used the outburst to severe ties with Kovac over this day of Congo medicine.

Still can't get used to seeing "Dr. Abby" yet. But she did a good job getting the wife to give consent for organ donation of her dead husband.

Frank and Jerry were cracking me up in spots.

That puppy was really cute, and it was hilarious to see her just go to sleep in Bob Newhart's arms while he and Susan were walking and talking.

Tscott 11-07-03 09:22 AM

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Isn't it standard practice to spoiler info gained from ending previews?

Originally posted by MrX
And maybe to put some warning about the nature of the spoiler? :( :( :( :( With the way your post looked I thought I'd be reading a spoilerized funny comment about last night's episode and had no clue it was a MAJOR spoiler for a future episode. I guess I'm partly to blame, but seeing as many here seem to like to spoilerize thier punchlines that spoiler space looked inoccent enough.

Roto 11-07-03 10:44 AM

Well if more people would use the spoiler tags for actual spoilers...

mikehunt 11-07-03 11:12 AM

damn, I figured that spoiler was for something in this episode
but no one forced me to highlight it

dunno260 11-07-03 11:48 AM

I liked this one a lot more than others I have seen recently.

diesteldorf 11-07-03 01:05 PM

Mr. X----

I'll be happy to come to your defense. It was, after all, in SPOILER
tags.

Would you mind creating another thread that would basically explain
how you discovered this info? I'm curious, but I don't think this thread is the right place to discuss it.

jonw9 11-07-03 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Patman
[B][Kovac] is getting a little much in his Congo medicine man schtick. /B]

Exactly what I was thinking...I am ready for him to go...

KTIK 11-07-03 02:02 PM

Anyone else sense a Kovac and Sam relationship in a few weeks? That was in my mind right when Sam came over and got her son when he was with Kovac.

xVladx 11-07-03 04:45 PM

Uhh, spoiler tags weren't enough for that. When it's something that's off the topic of the thread, it's typically a good idea to do something like:

Spoiler for upcoming episode:
Spoiler:
Blah blah blah

I also thought it was a comment about this weeks ep, hidden for the people who hadn't seen it yet.

wildcatlh 11-07-03 07:10 PM

No, there are no spoiler tags for already-aired eps.

You people really whine too much. You knew it was in tags, and you looked anyways.

Rogue588 11-07-03 07:23 PM

Originally posted by WildcatLH
No, there are no spoiler tags for already-aired eps.

You people really whine too much. You knew it was in tags, and you looked anyways.

That's the way it should be. But this potential spoiler wasn't about an already-aired ep. In fact, in the past, there have been plenty of threads where posters used spoiler tags long after the show had aired. In fact, IIRC, there was on ER thread a while back that were still using tags FOUR days after the ep aired..

Or hell, after 5 pages of posts [at 1152x864 resolution], with [at the time] 200 replies & 5000+ views, there are STILL spoiler tags being used on THIS Matrix thread.

So, while some people might [as you put it] whine too much, perhaps everyone should take the time to refresh their knowledge about spoiler tags and the proper way to use 'em here.

B.A. 11-08-03 01:47 PM

I really enjoyed last night's ep. Kovac ruled the roost yet again. I see him and Sam hooking up, too. Kovac and Pratt's back and forth was very well done, and I knew Pratt would take offense to what Luka said and would need it explained to him.

It was nice to see Frank leave his bigotry at home this time around, he was actually funny - as was Romano.

I'm enjoying Abby - the med student, it's a good change of pace for the character.

I actually like Coop's character, but the Indian girl needs to go, she seems out of her element.