DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Tru Calling - 11/06/03 "Putting Out Fires" S1x02 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/328545-tru-calling-11-06-03-putting-out-fires-s1x02.html)

Y2K Falcon 11-06-03 05:12 PM

Tru Calling - 11/06/03 "Putting Out Fires" S1x02

Tru is called upon by the corpse of a handsome young firefighter. When they meet, romantic sparks fly. So, Tru is more determined than ever to save him from his firey fate. Find out if her powers can overcome his desire to do his job on an all new TRU CALLING.

"..more determined than ever"??? He's only the second person she's tried to save! :lol:

I hope the second episode of Tru Rennt is better than the first.

xDareDevilx 11-06-03 08:00 PM

I really liked this episode. I didn't see last week's so i'm not sure if it was better/worse. I liked it a lot though, but i'm a sucker for this kind of story (i was a weekly Early Editiion watcher). I thought the firefighter was a pretty bad actor, but that didn't take away from the show.

The fact that it was
Spoiler:
the kid who started the fire
was pretty obvious early on. So yeah, entertaining show. I think i'm gonna have to start watching this show. Next week's episode looks pretty weak, and they need to come up witha new way to have tru tell people what will happen without just coming right out and saying it all...kinda cheesy.

Oh, and Eliza is smokin! That is pretty much the only reason i watched tonight, because I've thought she is the hottest actress/girl since i saw her jay and silent bob strike back. I love the way she walks! But turns out to be an entertaining show too!

astrochimp 11-06-03 09:09 PM

I liked tonights ep for the most part as i did like the pilot episode but im hoping that they can stretch it beyond the somewhat predictable pattern that they have formed so far.

Oh and Eliza definetely makes the show easier to watch but then again i said that about Jessica Alba in Dark Angel and eventually that wore off for me with that show.

Rogue588 11-06-03 09:34 PM

this show is painfully obvious with its subtlety..

the sugar, the blouse, the "oh my god it's not who/what I thought it was" moments...

c'mon already. I really do try to suspend my belief. I don't try to think ahead. I don't try to predict what's going to happen next out loud...

but this show makes it SO HARD not to do..

I don't think it'll be a problem much longer...

DeadLamb 11-06-03 11:09 PM

Originally posted by xDareDevilx
Oh, and Eliza is smokin! That is pretty much the only reason i watched tonight,
yeah hate to say it but that was more or less the only reason I tuned in too. heh... That being said, this ep was alot better then the pilot, they dumped the stupid "I run everywhere" thing that the first ep has in it. No idea who's idea that was but it was just soooooooooooooo dumb to have her run everywhere in a big city..

as for the story line, I think it's one of those shows that needs to have really good writers to pull off the little clues and so on that are set ups for the next "repeat" day.. errrrrrr but so far they are falling on the crutch of sporting events and some really obvious events.. That sort of needs to change..

I realyl think this show is doomed and that is too bad being as I said at the start, Eliza is pretty darn cute in the show... Oh and if you want to talk about getting CRUSHED by shows in the same timeslot.. How is this for my local area (sacramento)? Due to a 1hour shift early in one network (so they can have a 10pm news) Tru is up against Friends and CSI..

MrX 11-07-03 02:42 AM

meh

I don't see how they're going to make a season out of this, though it doesn't look like that will happen. This is the second week in a row they've done the she didn't get it right the first time bit with the twist at the end. The only difference from last week was the person someone still died.

I thought the stuff that happened earlier in the day, her catching her boyfriend cheating and meeting her brother, was more interesting then the fire.

mlemmond 11-07-03 07:20 AM

Last night's episode was pretty good, but I agree it's gonna be hard to stretch this show out.

Y2K Falcon 11-07-03 11:01 AM

Ouch. It drops from the 3.3/5 it had for the premiere. Skin pulled a 3.7/6 on its final episode (albeit against reruns and MNF).

Two episodes of "Friends," 13.3/21 and 12.1/18, won the 8 p.m. hour for NBC. "Survivor: Pearl Islands," 12.2/19, put CBS in second. "Threat Matrix" averaged 5.3/8 for ABC. The first hour of "WWE Smackdown!" (3.6/5 average from 8 to 10 p.m.) was fourth, beating FOX's "Tru Calling," 2.8/4. The WB trailed with "Steve Harvey's Big Time" and "The Jamie Kennedy Experiment."

sq240 11-07-03 01:51 PM

Screw the ratings.. The networks are pissing me off canceling shows after only a few episodes. Last night's episode was pretty good and the first episode was decent. The show really doesn't have a chance in this time slot, but Fox should stick with it. I think that Eliza's fans will continue to come back each week to watch, so let it develop a following.. Hell the first few episodes of Buffy were awful and look what it turned into.

Y2K Falcon 11-07-03 02:10 PM

Am I the only one thinking this series might be better suited to the WB? I'd probably still tivo it (move it off Thursday, guys -rolleyes-).

I think 3 things can happen at this point:
1) dropped by Fox and moved to WB
2) cancelled and Dushku is unemployed
3) cancelled and Dushku starts the Faith spinoff folks have been clamoring for (on the WB of course)

I wouldn't want her to become a recurring character on Angel. But their could be crossovers between the two shows.

bboisvert 11-07-03 02:21 PM

I missed the first episode and caught this one... I wasn't impressed.

I love Eliza, but she really, really needs a better vehicle than this. This is a lame, obvious show (at least based on my -- admitedly small -- sampling).

mookiemeister 11-07-03 03:28 PM

I like the show so far. Hope they can come up with more variety of story to keep it interesting. Definitely need to move the show to a different date. Too hard to survive on Thursday.

DRG 11-10-03 02:11 PM

I finally got around to watching the first two eps I had on tape. I dunno, I like the basic concept but the execution is so flat. The show's style is seriously lacking for one... maybe it needs to be darker? I find myself liking the morgue scenes the best.

The dialogue is clunky despite Eliza's valiant attempts to make it sound real. Come on, she's trying to warn someone of their upcoming demise without sounding like a loon... and starts off with "You're going to die tonight". Sounds like a threat to me!

The formula is way too obvious, and we've only had two episodes so far. The way the show is set up it'll be hard to break up the 'episodic nature' with big story arcs. I suppose they go with arcs based on her personal life, but that would sort of defeat the point. I enjoyed it nonetheless, but I can't see much of a future for it, not even counting the fact that it's getting killed in the ratings. Speaking of, why don't they give it a tryout on Tuesdays before 24? With the second Joe Millionaire moved over to Skin's old spot they might as well give it a try.

RaraFemina 11-10-03 02:42 PM

I love Eliza Dushku, but I don't think Tru is gonna last very long. Not only did they make a mistake in putting it on Thursdays, but as someone else mentioned it's predictable. They need to move it and come up with some sort of wicked twist that throws us all off. There has only been two episodes and I'm already bored, and according to the ratings, I'm not the only one.

Red Dog 11-10-03 02:54 PM

Seems like more of a Friday show. I do like it though.

Patman 11-10-03 03:49 PM

What I find really hard to believe is how she interpret these dreams, and how she goes about the entire day trying to solve the dreams. There just something off about the whole thing that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe Tru just doesn't feel like a real character, but just a plot device.

But I did like seeing Missy Peregryn on TV again (she was on Black Sash last season).

rfduncan 11-11-03 09:24 AM

Originally posted by sq240
...but Fox should stick with it.
:lol: Yeah THAT'LL happen!

Seriously though - did anyone notice the "earlier on Tru Calling" spot that aired right after the commercial break around 8:30? It was like "Hi, if you were watching another channel (i.e. "Friends") this is what you missed." Almost like they KNOW the show isn't keeping people tuned for the whole hour. I have NEVER seen THAT before.

This show is a lot like John Doe IMO. Kinda tired. It will be dusted soon.

movielib 11-11-03 09:55 AM

Originally posted by rfduncan
Seriously though - did anyone notice the "earlier on Tru Calling" spot that aired right after the commercial break around 8:30? It was like "Hi, if you were watching another channel (i.e. "Friends") this is what you missed." Almost like they KNOW the show isn't keeping people tuned for the whole hour. I have NEVER seen THAT before.

That was thoroughly discussed last week.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...t=eliza+dushku

garmonbozia 11-11-03 03:27 PM

Originally posted by rfduncan
I have NEVER seen THAT before.

WB used to do it a lot. I haven't seen much of it lately, but the WB did it for most of their hour long shows the one year IIRC.

dstrauss 11-12-03 08:43 AM

I would watch Eliza read a phone book, but the first two episodes of this haven't been much better than that. (Although having her in more skirts wouldn't hurt. Drool.)

But, man, the writing on this was horrid. I was almost in pain the first time the fireman was trying to get out with the kid, and they did Cliche Scene #101:

"I have to save you!"
"No, kid, you go, I'll be fine. [smile]"

I half expected his teeth to glimmer when he smiled and for the guy to pull out a toothpaste to endorse.