Ed -- "Goodbye Stuckeyville" 11.05.2003

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-03, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goodbye Stuckeyville

A stressed-out Carol (Julie Bowen) must decide whether to accept an exciting writing job in New York City -- a choice that could separate her from Ed (Tom Cavanagh) and have severe repercussions on everyone in Stuckeyville if he sells the bowling alley and follows her to the Big Apple. Elsewhere, Molly (Lesley Boone) can't help being drawn closer to an exciting and handsome daredevil (guest star Reg Rogers) just when her current boyfriend Sean (guest star Tom Wilson) asks her a big question. Worried about Ed's possible departure, Mike (Josh Randall) seeks new local buddies as standby replacements while Eli (Daryl "Chill" Mitchell) also frets about losing his boss. JanaMarie Hupp, Michael Ian Black, Rachel Cronin and Justin Long also star.
Ya know, for me, there are just some shows i'm happy to watch & that leave me with a good feeling -- the Simpsons, King Of the Hill, Family Guy, Farscape....and Ed.

I'm just sorry that I waited so long to start watching it. Still waiting on the DVDs. I am worried about this show, though. Who knows what the hell Zucker has up his sleeve.

Perhaps the could give it a full season order as a newborn baby present to Dave..?
Old 11-06-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I liked this episode but I'm still wondering where the writers are going with the Ed/Carol storyline.

Nice to see Ed didn't move to New York but it was an insanely nice gesture to sell the bar to the Stuckbowl employees.

I was sorry to see Molly ditch both boyfriends so I guess no more Sean

Do you the the feeling that Mike would be totally lost without Ed? The new best friend just wasn't working out too well for him. Question, was last night the first time we've actually seen one of them pay up on a bet?
Old 11-06-03, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

no, they have paid up on bets before now. it was really funny to see mike put his head in the punch bowl.

"why would i want to put my head in a punch bowl for $10?"
"for the hilarity!"

if ed is still in stuckeybowl i wonder if the gang still owns the alley?

as for the full season, i was under the impression that when it was renewed, it was renewed for the entire season not just a partial one.

a much better epsisode than i thought. a shame to see molly ditch both guys but maybe the writers will find somethine for her.
Old 11-06-03, 08:43 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought Tom Cavanagh and Julie Bowen did a particularly good job acting this episode. I really liked it. I figured Molly would stay with Sean for the predictable TV-show ending... "girl realizes guy she's already with is just perfect"... but ditching them both caught me off guard.

Molly's single, Carol is out of town... Ed & Molly shippers rejoice!
Old 11-06-03, 09:36 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Great episode last night. Phil Stubbs still managed to get in a good one-liner, "Yeah Bosco, this all checks out."

I too am wondering where the writers are going with the Ed/Carol storyline.
Old 11-06-03, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless Julie Bowen is leaving the show, I'll bet Carol comes back to Stuckeyville soon. I doubt she's going to be able to stay away from Stuckeyville for long.

I'd imagine they cancel the deal and give the bowling alley back to Ed if the transfer hasn't gone through yet. We didn't see them sign any papers agreeing to accept the offer.
Old 11-06-03, 10:07 AM

can someone sum up what happened on last nights episode? I missed it and would like to know. Appears to me that carol moved without ed, who stayed in stuckeyville. It's obviouse this would happen, but can someone clarify everything for me? Thanks

Jason X.
Old 11-06-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Usually I don't really like their more dramatic episodes, but this one was pretty good for as few laughs as there were.

I felt so sorry for Mike! Jeez Mitch, it's 10 bucks! And Ed witnessed the whole humiliation I half expected Warren to have a breakdown. It's amazing how he manages to get in Carol's English class every year

Even Molly's story was pretty good this time. Too bad that Biff was so boring. I don't understand why she dumped Captain Fun though. It seemed to me that he was offering to quit going out with other women and she didn't think it would work. He was going to drop that cute blonde for her and she wasn't even willing to give it a shot? Is she nuts?! They already went through the whole low self esteem melodrama with her last season I'm hoping they have her change her mind.
Old 11-06-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Ed -- "Goodbye Stuckeyville" 11.05.2003

Originally posted by Rogue588

I'm just sorry that I waited so long to start watching it.
You better hope for reruns on cable at minimum because as good as the show has remained, that first season will be impossible for them to top. I'd love the chance to see it again. I miss Kenny
Old 11-06-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by xDareDevilx
can someone sum up what happened on last nights episode? I missed it and would like to know. Appears to me that carol moved without ed, who stayed in stuckeyville. It's obviouse this would happen, but can someone clarify everything for me? Thanks

Jason X.
Brief recap:

Carol changed her mind and wanted to go to NY. Ed wanted to go with her so he decided to sell Stuckeybowl. The employees weren't happy with that she they tried to discourage potential buyers. In the end, Ed sold the place to Shirley, Phil and the other dude. Carol wanted to change her mind and stay but ultimately Ed decided to stay and Carol left for NY. They will try to work it out somehow.

Mike needed a new buddy since he thought Ed was leaving so he tried to make a buddy out of some guy he used to know. At Stuckeybowl, Mike tried to get him to play the $10 bet by having him dunk his head in a punchbowl. The guy refused and Mike dunked his own head and expected the new pal to pay up. Not getting the joke, the guy left without paying.

The legal case. A guy who manufactures antenna balls tries to force his partner to stay at the company. Although he could have won the case, Ed teaches the guy a lesson and he sees that allowing his partner to leave is the right thing to do.

Molly meets the 'fun' guy but discovers he has a girlfriend. And shortly she tells the 'dull' guy she wouldn't be moving in with him. Molly also ended that relationship.
Old 11-06-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mike trying out Mitch as his new best friend "Wouldn't it be weird if camels had breasts?"

The episode was good but why didn't Ed just drive Carol to the airport himself?
Old 11-06-03, 11:23 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
The Mike and Mitch stuff has great. I was when Mike stuck his head in the punchbowl.

I can't wait to see where they take the Ed/Carol story.

I figured Ed would sell the bowling alley to the group. It gives the writers an out if they had left. I can't imagine they'd be in New York very long.
Old 11-06-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In case you missed this episode, next week's show looks like the same exact thing. I think the preview for next week was even worded exactly the same as it was for this week.

Honk!
Old 11-06-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another thumbs up for musical selection. Last week was Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, this week we get Blue Rodeo singing "Hasn't Hit Me Yet" during the ending of the show. The episode itself was a bit weak IMO
Old 11-08-03, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I liked how Ed's court case parallelled his relationship with Carol, and how the 2 resolutions was to let the other one go (for the time being).

Overall, while a bit somber (as goodbyes go), still some good comedic mileage was achieves (Mike should get an Emmy for some of the work he does on the show).
Old 11-09-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So...does this mean that Ed works for Eli, Phil and Shirley, or just co-opts his office at the bowling alley now?
Old 11-12-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts
Can I just say that Julie Bowen is, indeed, no question, the *cutest* woman on television right now.
Old 11-12-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by dstrauss
Can I just say that Julie Bowen is, indeed, no question, the *cutest* woman on television right now.
No doubt. Sabrina Lloyd and her on the same show was a magical time indeed....
Old 11-12-03, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Patman
I liked how Ed's court case parallelled his relationship with Carol...
I find that all Ed's court cases parallel another story line in the same episode. It's not always the Ed/Carol storyline, but it usually is.

I think I know where the Ed/Carol storyline is going. Here are my thoughts.

1. There will be a couple dramatic episodes where Ed and Carol wonder if they are right for each other after all.
2. They will realize that they are.
3. Ed will propose marrage.
4. They will be married, move back to Stuckyville, and live happily ever after.

End of series.
Old 11-12-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if they do that i think they will have to stretch it for the season.
Old 11-12-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Vonner
I think I know where the Ed/Carol storyline is going. Here are my thoughts.

1. There will be a couple dramatic episodes where Ed and Carol wonder if they are right for each other after all.
2. They will realize that they are.
3. Ed will propose marrage.
4. They will be married, move back to Stuckyville, and live happily ever after.

End of series.
This is my fear as well...does it even have a full season guarantee..?
Old 11-12-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ratings aren't that great and they have been sliding this season. It wouldn't be a surprise if it only gets another season, if that.
Old 11-12-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Does anyone have the ratings breakdown?
Old 11-12-03, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
does it even have a full season guarantee..?
It has a full season (22 episodes) ordered this year.

Originally posted by mphtrilogy
Does anyone have the ratings breakdown?
Here are this years weekly rating breakdown for Ed.

Week 1
38. ed (nbc)
viewers: 10.7 million, household rating/share: 7.4/12

Week 2
61. ed (nbc)
viewers: 8.2 million, household rating/share: 5.8/9

Week 3
65. ed (nbc)
viewers: 8.0 million, household rating/share: 5.6/9

Week 4
74. ed (nbc)
viewers: 7.1 million, household rating/share: 5.1/8