DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Angel 11/5 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/328364-angel-11-5-a.html)

sq240 11-05-03 10:47 PM

Angel 11/5

Yawn... Yet another lackluster episode. I think this might have beat out last weeks as the worst of the season. At least last week's episode had Eve and Harmony in it as well as Gunn "staking his territory"..

The interactions with Angel and Wes had promise, but didn't accomplish much.

Angel finally gets back out in the field to fight and it was lackluster as well.

Show is still treading water and with The OC on at the same time, it looks like I will be taping Angel from now on. I have never been looking at the clock or flipping channels at the commercial breaks while Angel has been on, but tonight I was.

das Monkey 11-05-03 11:00 PM

Haven't seen the episode yet, but I figured you guys would find this interesting -eek-: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2568348629

Funny thing is ... I know the winner. :)

das

sq240 11-05-03 11:06 PM

I love the Angel show and the Buffy world in general, but there are much better things to spend $16,400 on.

Arcade 11-05-03 11:51 PM

Tonight's show was just plain bad. I could tell a mile away that it was going to have a life lesson in the end.
This was the whole reason I stopped watching Star Trek. It got to where every story had the moral of the day in it. I don't watch fantasy shows to learn morals. Just go out, fight monsters and explore for goodness sake.

MrX 11-06-03 12:16 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Haven't seen the episode yet, but I figured you guys would find this interesting -eek-: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2568348629

Funny thing is ... I know the winner. :)

das

$16,000 and their's no guarantee who will be on set that day or if you'll even get to meet them-eek-

spainlinx0 11-06-03 01:48 AM

I actually found this episode better than previous episodes for the most part, but it was lackluster in many places. I knew there was something up with that damn mail guy so at least I got to find out this week. His whole speech about his past was a yawner. Spike's "drama queen" jokes were good for a chuckle, but Spike used to be a lot funnier. Please can you hold a camera shot during the fight scenes. I want to see the action. You don't even get a full second of a shot. I don't mind the morals because I don't just watch fantasy or sci-fi shows for mindless exploration and fighting, but they could stand to be a little less obvious with the points. Gee, I didn't see Angel as really giving that speech to himself. They just aren't trying anymore.

Still, good to get out of the offices, and explore the streets for a change of scenery. I like seeing them all fighting together. I hope we see more of that.

MrX 11-06-03 02:43 AM

I thought this was the best ep of the season so far.

It did have it's dead spots Angel at the guy's apartment, but just the fact things happened outside the office and Spike wasn't the focus of another episode was good enough for me.

Chew 11-06-03 06:11 AM

I spent more time reading a magazine than watching this rather dull outing.

At least they got out of the building this week, that's a plus.

rfduncan 11-06-03 06:39 AM

Did I miss something? What did Fred mean when she was talking to Spike and said that he was a hero/champion because he'd saved her?

RaraFemina 11-06-03 07:24 AM

Originally posted by rfduncan
Did I miss something? What did Fred mean when she was talking to Spike and said that he was a hero/champion because he'd saved her?
it was during Hell Bound which aired couple of weeks ago. Spike could have went into that mystic cirlce and become corporeal, but he shoved Pavayne into it instead because Pavayne was trying to strangle Fred. Since he was corporeal they could put him in a stasis where he is "unable to move, to touch, or to feel, or to affect anything in the world around". In this state he will live forever, or at least as long as the LA branch is standing. So technically Spike not only saved Fred, but he saved countless others by making it possible for them to imprison Pavayne. That's why he is her hero.

Patman 11-06-03 07:38 AM

Overally, I liked last night's episode, and it addressed the malaise of Angel and his new surroundings, and how he was feeling out of sorts with his place in the whole scheme of things at this time.

The show is still so dark and murky though. Wes got more screen time than usual. And seeing Wes and Spike talk is sort of interesting given their history together. Of course, I think it'd be funny to hear the actors speak in their normal non-Brit voices in a commentary one day because it would be strange now that I'm so used to their Brit accents.

mlemmond 11-06-03 07:42 AM

I hated last nights show, they are killing Angel!

Pointyskull 11-06-03 08:12 AM

I tuned in for a few minutes when I saw Spike as I flipped through channels.

My daughter asked me how Spike survived his apparent demise during the series ender on BtVS, and all I could do was shrug my shoulders.

I don't watch Angel, don't plan to, but if someone could explain briefly, I would appreciate it.

Has there ever been a "logical" explanation?

LiquidSky 11-06-03 08:14 AM

Originally posted by sq240
I love the Angel show and the Buffy world in general, but there are much better things to spend $16,400 on.
Agreed....like paying off my student loans!!!

Tscott 11-06-03 08:30 AM

Originally posted by 12thmonkey
My daughter asked me how Spike survived his apparent demise during the series ender on BtVS, and all I could do was shrug my shoulders.
He didn't survive. He's sort a ghost right now, but trying to find a way back. The medalion that he had to close the hellmouth somehow absorbed his essence and was sent back to Angel by someone unknown. Now Spike is all ghost-like and can't go futher than the city limits of LA (where the medalion is kept).

I honestly don't know what others here are expecting of Angel. I liked this episode, as I have most this season. Yes, there's a different dynamic, but that's to be expected given the current storyline. And the writers seem to be addressing this in every character. Just like Buffy and the gang moved beyond High School, Angel and the gang have moved beyond the hotel and are currently dealing with the change.

Pointyskull 11-06-03 08:34 AM

Originally posted by Tscott
He didn't survive. He's sort a ghost right now, but trying to find a way back. The medalion that he had to close the hellmouth somehow absorbed his essence and was sent back to Angel by someone unknown. Now Spike is all ghost-like and can't go futher than the city limits of LA (where the medalion is kept).

thanks!

wendersfan 11-06-03 08:59 AM

I thought the episode was funny, but not funny enough. I thought it was interesting, but not interesting enough.

In other words, another lackluster episode.

Lateralus42 11-06-03 09:22 AM

Very good episode, some of the cool things about it:

Numero 5 and the Hermanos Numeros
El Diablo Robotico!
No Eve!
The Hermanos taking their brother home at the end
"The father will kill the son.."
Angel finally looking into the prophecy

Damfino 11-06-03 09:45 AM

This episode bored me in an X-Files Season 9 sort of way.

I hope Angel gets out of this funk, the show used to be so good. Right now I'm enjoying the reruns on TNT more than the new season. (last night TNT showed the brilliant 2nd season episode Guise Will Be Guise.)

Zodiac_Speaking 11-06-03 10:25 AM

I agree that Angel seems to be fumbling around. But I think they are exploring their new territory aka Wolfram and Hart.
I expect big things soon, especially with the Shang Tzu prophecy, Cordy's rumored app., SMG's rumored app., so hang tight. I am.
I'm actually like this year, contrary to many here. I'm not worried if this season is better than a season previous, I'm just on for a ride w/ these characters. I doubt if Whedon will let his only Buffyverse/fans down.

tofu 11-06-03 10:58 AM

I liked it. The Hermanos Numeros seemed kind of campy especially in their crime fighting suits but it was still amusing.

sq240 11-06-03 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Lateralus42

No Eve!

What do you have against Eve?

Damfino 11-06-03 12:05 PM

Originally posted by tofu
I liked it. The Hermanos Numeros seemed kind of campy especially in their crime fighting suits but it was still amusing.
This was a fun idea, but not quite up to the standard of those Mexican wrestling movies. If you enjoyed Los Hermanos Numeros, seek out some Santo movies from Mexico. Some of them are available here on DVD.

spainlinx0 11-06-03 12:31 PM

Originally posted by jonpeters
I agree that Angel seems to be fumbling around. But I think they are exploring their new territory aka Wolfram and Hart.
I expect big things soon, especially with the Shang Tzu prophecy, Cordy's rumored app., SMG's rumored app., so hang tight. I am.
I'm actually like this year, contrary to many here. I'm not worried if this season is better than a season previous, I'm just on for a ride w/ these characters. I doubt if Whedon will let his only Buffyverse/fans down.

Please put spoilers in spoiler tags.

mookiemeister 11-06-03 01:13 PM

I like last night's episode. It was a fun episode.

I like how Spike was asking about the Shang Tzu prophecy like he's interested in it too when he was told that the prophecy doesn't mention the name of the vampire that will be reborned. Hmm... wonder if there will be a comptetition between Spike and Angel to be that vampire in the prophecy.