DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   anyone have an update on the ABC miniseries A Wrinkle In Time? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/328313-anyone-have-update-abc-miniseries-wrinkle-time.html)

maiana 11-05-03 04:19 PM

anyone have an update on the ABC miniseries A Wrinkle In Time?

I love this book and a lot of the people attached to the project are actors that I like. I've been waiting so long for a feature based on this childrens classic. Anyone have updated information on airdates?

Laertes 11-07-03 07:13 AM

I know it was screened at a children's film festival here in Toronto. I liked that book as a kid, and meant to go, but never made it.

I can't tell you about airdates, I just know it's supposed to be airing this season, or something. I heard good things about it too.

maiana 11-07-03 11:32 AM

Thanks Laertes.

I remember reading somewhere that is was a Canadian production but I really hope it airs here in the US, or if not, that I can buy it on DVD : ) This has always been one of my favorite books, I read the whole series every few years (like some people do with LOTR) and it was on of my most fervent wishes that it would be made either into a movie or an animated feature. Did you know that another one of M.L.'s books was made into a movie? A Ring Of Endless Light. It wasn't bad.

Amy

Laertes 11-07-03 12:28 PM

If memory serves me correctly, and I'm not sure it does, I believe I read somewhere that it is to air as a part of "The Wonderful World of Disney" at some point this season.

Is A Ring of Endless Light the one about the scientist that learns how to regrow human limbs? Actually, it occurred to me as I type this that that book was Arm of the Starfish or something like that.

I was partial to A Swiftly Tilting Planet because it was about a boy.

maiana 11-07-03 02:33 PM

I think I liked A Swiftly Tilting Plantet the best also, because of the story. A Ring of Endless Light is the one about the girl who can communicate with dolphins.

mrpayroll 03-29-04 01:10 PM

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|87152|1|,00.html

ABC Adds New 'Wrinkle' to May Sweeps
(Monday, March 29 09:58 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - ABC's long-gestating adaptation of Madeleine L'Engle's award-winning book "A Wrinkle in Time" will premiere as a "Wonderful World of Disney" event on Saturday, May 15.
Long in development as a feature at Miramax, "Wrinkle" began production in 2001 with a cast that includes Emmy winner Alfre Woodard, "Everwood" star Gregory Smith, Alison Elliot and Kate Nelligan.

L'Engle's book won the Newberry Prize when it was released in 1962. It tells the story of a Meg (Katie Stuart), her mentally gifted younger brother Charles Wallace (David Dorfman) and their neighbor Calvin (Smith) who, with three mysterious guides (Woodard, Nelligan and Elliott), embark on a journey to rescue their lost astrophysicist father (Chris Potter), a scientist studying time travel, and his partner (Kyle Secor).

John Kent Harrison ("What the Deaf Man Heard") directed the project from an adaptation by Susan Shilliday.
Produced by BLT Prods. and Fireworks International to be distributed by Miramax Television, in association with Dimension Films, this is the first television adaptation of L'Engle's book and, at the time of its production, marked Miramax and Dimension's first foray into longform TV

Originally "Wrinkle" was expected to air as a four-hour miniseries event stretched over two nights during the 2001-02 season. It was also tentatively scheduled to air last season. It's now slated to air as a three-hour one-night event during the May sweeps period.

I still have this book in my collection. It was one of the first adult 'teenage' books that I read in the mid 70's. I'm going to watch this and I hope that they do justice to the book.

Chris

maiana 03-29-04 04:56 PM

Thanks so much Chris!!!!! I really appreciate the info. I'm going to add this date to my calendar so I don't forget. I can't wait!

maiana 05-10-04 11:14 AM

I'm just updating this for anyone interested, A Wrinkle In Time airs tonight at 8pm EST.

Breakfast with Girls 05-10-04 01:19 PM

Thanks for the tip. I read this as a kid but can't remember any of it now.

bboisvert 05-10-04 01:55 PM

Saw the ad last night. Didn't look too promising.

I have a feeling this adaptation will be similar to the Dinotopia one from a couple of years back... :(

maiana 05-10-04 04:34 PM

bummer. I've been waiting for this for years. I'm going to watch it no matter what.

Tom Banjo 05-10-04 05:20 PM

This was one of my favorite books as a kid. I'm remaining optimistic on this one.

Jepthah 05-10-04 06:29 PM

Well, L'Engle hates it (big surprise, I know):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4926262/

She gives great copy though, doesn't she?

redinger 05-11-04 11:22 AM

From the interview Jepthah linked:

And did it meet expectations?
Oh, yes. I expected it to be bad, and it is.
:)

I have to agree with her though. I was hoping it would be good. I sat through the whole thing to give it a fair chance. I can't believe given the adaptations of the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter books, they did this to one of my favorite childhood books.

mookiemeister 05-11-04 11:52 AM

Can someone tell me what I missed the 1st hour of the movie? I saw the last 2 hours of the movie, but missed how the story started.

Jepthah 05-12-04 12:16 AM

L'Engle was if anything, charitable in her assessment.

I remember when even Disney's movies of the week had a level of quality control. I guess those days are long gone. I couldn't decide which was worse--the casting and direction, or the teleplay adaptation which seemed to have been written by an autistic script program.

Giles 05-12-04 12:24 AM

with all the rights issues and other obstacles this book has gone through to get a film version made - the reviews of this, seemed like L'Engle should have waited longer for a better director and such.

bboisvert 05-12-04 10:48 AM

I'm only about halfway through at this point (via ReplayTV), but it's 'eh'. I don't hate it, but I ain't lovin it either.

(Keep in mind that I read the book over 20 years ago, and have forgotten pretty much all of it... so I'm not distracted by what has been changed, left out, etc.)

Anyway, based on the reviews I saw in the papers, I thought it was going to be much worse. But, it still isn't very good.

redinger 05-12-04 11:19 AM

Originally posted by mookiemeister
Can someone tell me what I missed the 1st hour of the movie? I saw the last 2 hours of the movie, but missed how the story started.
I'd highly recommend you pick up the book and read it. It's an extremely easy read, yet very entertaining. You should be able to get it from a library and finish it off in a weekend.