DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Coupling: Richard Coyle (Jeff) not to return for Series 4 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/328244-coupling-richard-coyle-jeff-not-return-series-4-a.html)

cynthia 11-05-03 09:52 AM

Coupling: Richard Coyle (Jeff) not to return for Series 4

Steven Moffat posted this on the BBCAmerica forums:

Okay. You keep asking. Here it is. As you've pretty well all guessed, Jeff won't be in the 4th season.

I'm no longer in direct touch with Richard, so I can't vouch for his reasons. At the time of shooting the third season he seemed keen to return for a fourth (I always check in case I have to write anyone out) and that's why there was no Goodbye Jeff episode in the last run.

Sadly, although we have been trying very hard to persuade him, he's not keen to return and shoot a farewell for us. It's taken months of (unsuccessful) pleading on our part, which is why I haven't been saying a lot on the subject.

I really enjoyed working with Richard, who is an immensely talented actor, and I'm sorry it couldn't have ended on a happier note.

Okay. The good news.
There will be new character - Oliver, Jane's worst possible blind date - and I'm having whale of a time writing him. I miss Jeff but it's invigorating to have a new wind blowing through the show.

We've just cast someone we think is going to be wonderful. And after you've all got tired of wearing your black armbands, I think you might think he's wonderful too.

So don't write us off just yet, okay?
To be honest, it's kind of nice for everything to be a Big Scary Risk again.

Steven Moffat
Very sad news. :(

Doughboy 11-05-03 10:12 AM

Coupling without Jeff? That's almost as pointless as the NBC remake. Maybe they should quit now while they're ahead.

rfduncan 11-05-03 10:16 AM

Yeah Jeff is clearly the one character that holds the works together IMO. Really too bad. :(

tofu 11-05-03 10:17 AM

He was my favorite character. Does that mean they're going to make a new friend on the show?

Red Dog 11-05-03 10:37 AM

That really sucks. However, I'm waiting to see what Moffatt comes up with for S4 before I pass judgment.

Y2K Falcon 11-05-03 10:43 AM

But Jane's still there, right? :confused:

Whew! All is well then!

RichardW 11-05-03 12:24 PM

Bollocks! :mad:

TheMadMonk 11-05-03 12:36 PM

Yeah, that sucks. I wonder what happened, that he won't even return to shoot a "good-bye" episode?

Red Dog 11-05-03 12:42 PM

Maybe they should get US Coupling Jeff to replace him. He's currently seeking employment. ;)

cynthia 11-05-03 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
Maybe they should get US Coupling Jeff to replace him. He's currently seeking employment. ;)
I wouldn't be surprised if he was so insulted by the choice of Jeff in the US version that Richard gave up the role. :p

WarriorPrincess 11-05-03 01:13 PM

Very sad news indeed. :( I loved the character Jeff - especially because of the random theories he always had.

I will of course still keep watching, as Moffat has created a wonderful show and I truly enjoy watching all of the characters, not just Jeff.

I do wish Richard Coyle would reconsider and at least film a goodbye episode if he won't come back full time. Honestly I cannot think of why he wouldn't, as one episode couldn't take up more than a week or two of his life. And while I'm at it - brit seasons are so short, 6-9 eps, that it would seem like filming the whole season would still allow for plenty of time to do other projects. This frankly baffles me.

huzefa 11-05-03 02:16 PM

We should do well to remember that it wasn't Richard Coyle himself who wrote those random theories, but rather Stephen Moffat. Still too bad... :(

mllefoo 11-05-03 02:35 PM

Jeff Murdoch is my hero and I will miss him.

"I didn't use my tongue, I swear! It's only for stamps and emergencies!"

kevin75 11-05-03 09:33 PM

oh crap. this really sucks. jeff is absolutely fantastic and richard coyle has that role so perfect. i hope this situation will improve.

MrPeanut 11-05-03 09:36 PM

With or without Coyle, doesn't the fourth season have train wreck written all over it? Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps, he's seen the American show, seen that Moffat may not be at the top of his game right now, and doesn't want to be introduced to the new following and hype the show has gained since the last season by doing fourth rate monologues.

There's nothing wrong with going out on top.

madcougar 11-05-03 11:51 PM

The strange thing is that according to IMDB, the guy isn't exactly super busy these days. You'ld think the paycheck would be nice. Wonder what happened.

movieking 11-06-03 04:56 AM

Really too bad, since he is easily one of the consistently funniest characters on any network. I think that this could really damage the show...

RKillgore 11-06-03 09:27 AM

Yikes, that means series four is going to start with three jump the shark factors: baby on the way, sexual tension couple gets together and major character replacement.
But I'm still looking forward to series four, as most others. It'll be interesting to see what Moffat does without having Jeffisms or "to punch a joke, slap Richard on the head" (Moffat's own words, from the DVD commentary). I'm just afraid it's going to be a long wait. Does the series have to be complete before it shows on BBCAmerica?

Numanoid 11-06-03 09:48 AM

There will be new character - Oliver
http://www.jumptheshark.com/oliver.jpg

madcougar 11-06-03 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Numanoid
http://www.jumptheshark.com/oliver.jpg
:lol:

Josh Z 11-08-03 02:19 PM

Originally posted by MrPeanut
With or without Coyle, doesn't the fourth season have train wreck written all over it? Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps, he's seen the American show, seen that Moffat may not be at the top of his game right now,
I would doubt that's it. The problems with the American Coupling had very little to do with Moffat. They were re-using his old Season 1 scripts, after all. It wasn't a writing issue. It was a casting and directing issue.