DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   NBC chief Jeff Zucker: "some of the programming just sucked"... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/328087-nbc-chief-jeff-zucker-some-programming-just-sucked.html)

Rogue588 11-04-03 03:37 PM

NBC chief Jeff Zucker: "some of the programming just sucked"...

NBC: Fleeing Viewers Are Network's Fault

By DAVID BAUDER
.c The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - The top networks are suffering through a lackluster fall season partly because “some of the programming just sucked,'' NBC's entertainment chief said on Tuesday.

NBC's Jeff Zucker, who has already canned two high-profile new series, said while networks question some of Nielsen Media Research's numbers this year, TV executives need also look in the mirror.

“Our programming is not that good and the Nielsen sample is bad. End of story,'' said Zucker, speaking to the International Radio & Television Society Foundation.

During the first week of the important November sweeps period, CBS was the only one of the six major broadcasters to draw a bigger audience than the same week last year, Nielsen said.

That's consistent with the season as a whole. Fox, which benefited from a thrilling baseball postseason, is the only network to see gains season-to-date.

Zucker cited NBC's “Coupling'' - already canceled - as NBC's biggest mistake of the season. Another series the network had high hopes for, Rob Lowe's “The Lyon's Den,'' has also been taken off the air.

All of the network entertainment chiefs speaking before the IRTS Tuesday directed some anger toward Nielsen. They don't quite believe Nielsen's numbers that say viewership is off 10 percent this season among men aged 18 to 34, a crucial group for advertisers.

Zucker said he doesn't believe it's a coincidence that Nielsen's measurement of young male viewership has increased over the past three weeks after network complaints became public.

Young men, who may have been distracted by DVDs and video games, began returning to TV with the World Series, Nielsen spokesman Jack Loftus said.

Loftus noted that Nielsen received few complaints last year when the company's sample showed an increase in viewership among young men.

“When the numbers are up, it's the programming,'' he said. “When the numbers are down, it's Nielsen.''

Zucker also said the networks had put on several new shows this fall that appealed to females, like NBC's “Miss Match,'' CBS' “Joan of Arcadia'' and ABC's “Karen Sisco'' and “Hope & Faith.''

“Where's `Chuck & Matt'?'' Zucker asked. “If we just keep putting on shows that aren't necessarily going to appeal to young men, we're making a mistake. We're standing at the front of that line.''

Susan Lyne, ABC's entertainment chief, said the lack of any new shows that viewers were anticipating this fall may have reduced viewership in general.

CBS' victory last week was fueled partly by a strong performance by “Survivor,'' which defeated “Friends'' head-to-head for the first time in a year and a half. The CBS 75th anniversary special on Sunday was seen by 18.2 million viewers.

For the week, CBS averaged 13.7 million viewers (9.0 rating, 15 share). NBC was second with 11.3 million viewers (7.6, 12), but won handily among the 18-to-49-year-old viewers that advertisers crave.

ABC had 9.4 million viewers (6.1, 10), Fox 8 million (5.1, 8), the WB 3.9 million (2.7, 4), UPN 3.5 million (2.3, 4) and Pax TV 1 million (0.7, 1).

NBC's “Nightly News'' won the evening news ratings race, averaging 10.8 million viewers (7.6 rating, 15 share). ABC's “World News Tonight'' had 10.5 million (7.3, 14) and the “CBS Evening News'' had 8.3 million (5.8, 11).

A ratings point represents 1,084,000 households, or 1 percent of the nation's estimated 108.4 million TV homes. The share is the percentage of in-use televisions tuned to a given show.

For the week of Oct. 27-Nov. 2, the top 10 shows, their networks and viewerships: “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation,'' CBS, 27.3 million; “Survivor: Pearl Islands,'' CBS, 20.8 million; “ER,'' NBC, 19.9 million; “Friends,'' NBC, 19.4 million; “Everybody Loves Raymond,'' CBS, 18.3 million; “CBS at 75,'' CBS, 18.2 million; “CSI: Miami,'' 17 million; “The Simpsons,'' Fox, 16.2 million; “Law & Order,'' NBC, 16.2 million; “Will & Grace,'' NBC, 15.9 million.

Red Dog 11-04-03 03:41 PM

What do you expect when networks cancel male oriented shows like Fastlane and Titus.

jeffkjoe 11-04-03 03:49 PM

Must See TV is Still on.

It's just that it's now jumped networks, from NBC to CBS.

B.A. 11-04-03 04:25 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
What do you expect when networks cancel male oriented shows like Fastlane and Titus.
And Andy Richter Saves the Universe, and...oh screw it - we could compile this list for days on end.

Draven 11-04-03 04:52 PM

Nice to see them place some of the blame on themselves.

Now they just need to place all of it on themselves, and we'll be in a great place :)

Oh, and find an alternative to Nielsen.

Spooky 11-04-03 05:57 PM

Wow, an honest network head...go figure. Now I wonder how many more bad episodes of FRIENDS we'll have to sit through before he admits that show sucks as well...

cheapskate 11-04-03 07:19 PM

Young men, who may have been distracted by DVDs and video games, began returning to TV with the World Series, Nielsen spokesman Jack Loftus said.
:lol:

Yeah, the World Series came on and suddenly, as a young man, I lost all interest in DVD's and video games... and came crawling back to network television...

:confused:

DVD's and video games are so five minutes ago...

Michael Corvin 11-04-03 07:24 PM

Originally posted by B.A.hist
And Andy Richter Saves the Universe, and...oh screw it - we could compile this list for days on end.
I was getting ready to say that.

So I will have to add Undeclared and Freaks and Geeks to the list of great shows that they let get away.

Augusto 11-04-03 10:41 PM

NBC should be on their hands and knees begging for forgiveness for that god-awful "sitcom" The Whoopi Show (whatever its called) Worst. Show. Ever.

Roto 11-04-03 10:58 PM

Great career move there, Rob Lowe! Good thing they didn't cancel Ed after last season, or they'd run out of shows. Ed and Scrubs are the only ones that qualify as Must See TV for me. The West Wing could be, but they have to get out of their funk.

JonTurner 11-04-03 11:09 PM

Re: NBC chief Jeff Zucker: "some of the programming just sucked"...

Originally posted by Rogue588
Zucker cited NBC's “Coupling'' - already canceled
Funny how the 2nd season of the real Coupling that just arrived on DVD has a big sticker on front calling it the original to NBC'S HIT SERIES!

I'm glad to hear him admit such mistakes though.

spainlinx0 11-05-03 12:01 AM

I'm a little annoyed that he cites the fact that they aren't putting on shows that appeal to men. When you try to target a show at a specific audience, instead of targetting making a great show, you end up putting the stuff on TV that we have today.

Achtung 11-05-03 09:08 AM

Originally posted by cheapskate
:lol:

Yeah, the World Series came on and suddenly, as a young man, I lost all interest in DVD's and video games... and came crawling back to network television...

:confused:

DVD's and video games are so five minutes ago...

I came crawling back only for the divisional and league championship series, then jumped ship the second I saw Aaron Boone's home run to end game 7. Network TV is pretty much only good for sports right now, and not much else.

Yeah, not sure how I was supposed to forget about the hundreds of dollars I spent on DVDs and video games...

das Monkey 11-05-03 09:37 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth spainlinx0 •<HR SIZE=1>I'm a little annoyed that he cites the fact that they aren't putting on shows that appeal to men. When you try to target a show at a specific audience, instead of targetting making a great show, you end up putting the stuff on TV that we have today. <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>
Part of the problem in this ad-dominated medium is that this is precisely what they want. More often than not, they want to market their products to specific demographics. Selling time to Tampax is a lot easier when your audience is predominantly female than when it's 50/50.

I'm not saying I agree with the mentality of making a show for a demo first and quality second (or more like thirty-second), but it is something to keep in mind.

das

Red Dog 11-05-03 10:39 AM

Originally posted by spainlinx0
I'm a little annoyed that he cites the fact that they aren't putting on shows that appeal to men. When you try to target a show at a specific audience, instead of targetting making a great show, you end up putting the stuff on TV that we have today.

If you don't do any targeting, you will end up with Law & Orders and CSIs on every network in every timeslot.

Targeting demographics is very important.

Draven 11-05-03 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
If you don't do any targeting, you will end up with Law & Orders and CSIs on every network in every timeslot.

Targeting demographics is very important.

Plus, television is a business. It's supposed to make money, not to just be a creative outlet for people.

The business side of it is the most important part.

Patman 11-05-03 01:29 PM

Is "Whoopi" still on the air? If so, why?

elias 11-06-03 07:07 AM

I saw most of 1 episode of Coupling and you couldn't pay me to watch it again...but the brunette chick was HOT!